What's new

What bands do you like outside the J-music scene??

if it doesn't come from Japan It must come from Korea or China or some where else in Asia. Oh! heh heh I listen to Utada *snickerz* Cruel Joke, sorry! For her english debut album they chopped off her frist name and bought it with the hopes thoat it would be not so bad...The lyrics sucked but the music is so catchy! I can't for the life of me get it out of my head....I suppose I listen to No doubt? It was an addiction from childhood!

Btw

MexicanBatman said:
KoRn, Slipknot, Machine Head, Chimaira, Fear Factory, Ill Niテアo, Tool, Static-X, Dry Kill Logic, System Of A Down, Cradle Of Filth, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour, Murderdolls, Marilyn Manson. Basicly everything Metal.

-Batman

They may not be metal but they are sure NOT pop either. Just because you have an advanced view into metal does not mean that this is not metal in the eyes of someone less experienced, Winter.

The White Stripes...? Excuse me while I throw up...>.> They annoy the crap out of me for some reason or another. Plus I don't like their music. In my opinion, it's beyond crap, but to each their own as they say.

Horizon said:
The White Stripes...? Excuse me while I throw up...>.> They annoy the crap out of me for some reason or another. Plus I don't like their music. In my opinion, it's beyond crap, but to each their own as they say.
gee, so harsh. maybe you should listen to more of their songs since on TV and radio you can only get like 4 of them. ☝

mmmmm.... rather interesting topic,over all nothing too over the top.

Amercia,...............none.......ever,spare for Le'Rue Delashay

Europe:
Theatres Des Vampires :haihai: me like Scarlet 😍
Emperor
........bit too lazy to post anymore here,moving along now

Asia.....need help with this one
👍 Sigh 👍 and a few Filipino ones I cant think of at the moment

So long as its not country or pop,i mostly will have a listen to what is playing.Tell then adieu.

mizerable_d said:
gee, so harsh. maybe you should listen to more of their songs since on TV and radio you can only get like 4 of them. ☝

Heh...Yeah. Sorry! :sorry: I apologize for that, but they just annoy the crap out of me! And I don't think I'd like 'em very much even if I listened to more of their music. I just don't think they're my type I guess...

PrincessBerriKiller said:
They may not be metal but they are sure NOT pop either. Just because you have an advanced view into metal does not mean that this is not metal in the eyes of someone less experienced, Winter.

Well, those bands are all pop now.

Pop just means popular. How hard is that to figure out?

jovial_jon said:
So something can't be popular and metal?

'Course it can. Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeth, all popular metal.

But Ill Nino, Korn, Perfect Circle, bands like those specifically started out as progressive, which can be considered metal, but most metalheads dont.

So you'd class Metallica, Black Sabbath and Megadeth as pop music? 'Pop' is short for 'popular', sure, but I think the term 'pop' has its own meaning now and is more to do with the style of music, rather than how successful/popular it is.

Maybe so, but regardless, the bands I commented on from M.Batman arent metal in the first place.

*sweatdrop...* the fights with metal and pop...o my, how hard is it to see the difference?

Heh...Yeah. Sorry! I apologize for that, but they just annoy the crap out of me! And I don't think I'd like 'em very much even if I listened to more of their music. I just don't think they're my type I guess...

lol np dude! u dont have to like them...-_-

mizerable_d said:
*sweatdrop...* the fights with metal and pop...o my, how hard is it to see the difference?

lol np dude! u dont have to like them...-_-

Yeah, really. HOW could you NOT tell the difference?

And, yeah, I know, but I shouldn't have been so rude about it...

Geez. My answer to this question could go on forever. Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Posion, Ratt, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Ricky Martin, Backstreet Boys, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, Breaking Benjamin, AFI, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Elvis Presley, The Penguins, Rammstein, White Zombie/Rob Zombie, 98 Degrees, *NSync, Lonestar, Rascal Flatts, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Eminem, D12, Godsmack, KoRn...and many more. Yeah, I'm diverse ^.^

And just to put my two cents in, there's a big difference between "pop culture" and "pop music". Metallica could easily be put in the pop culture category. But pop music is something all it's own.

Hehe, tell me about it. Only problem is that I never know what I want for Christmas and my birthday and end up with CDs taking up five pages of my list ^.^"

[RANT]::shrugs:: I don't quite understand it myself. I guess it's because I never really used music as a way to rebel. Like, lots of people tend to say "Oohh! I'm listening to STAIND! Take that, mom and dad!!!". I grew up listening to country from my grandparents and parents, and 80s rock from my parents. The first "modern" song that really caught my ear, and made me form my own tastes, was Bawitaba, by Kid Rock. But I never really abandonned what I listened to before then. It's nothing for me to go from listening Avenged Sevenfold to listening to Hank Williams, Sr. People have too many preconceptions about a type of music outside of what they listen to, and are too busy trying to fit into the image they want to have to enjoy all that's out there.

You know what was one of the coolest things I've seen this year in music? James Hetfield, lead singer of Metallica, sang at the Outlaws Of Country concert. Oh, and Bret Michaels, lead singer of Poison, is now coming out with a solo country album. Not to mention Aerosmith's newest CD is very much blues. And look where Kid Rock's song Picture took him (he also performed at the concert, by the way).

Wow, that was a loooong post.[/RANT]

Well, my list begins with The Beatles. You can't go wrong with the Fab Four!
👍

Other groups I like listening to are: The Rolling Stones, ABBA, The Who, Queen, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen. Yeah, I know, all old school, like me, and all the best!!!
👍

~Acid Bath~

check them out, any song by them is a complete trip. Their best album is pagan terrorism tactics, which should be listened to in its entirety for full effect. See their lyrics

btw, Manson is definately pop. I like some of his material, but there are many bands with better/clearer-but-abstract/surreal messages that aren't tainted by the corruptable contracts hollywood spews forth, bands that have more freedom in terms of what they can say. The sad thing is in this country those bands are never heard nationally, and are only known locally (from where they originate).

Another cool trippy band is monster magnet, although they sold out and went mainstream with their last two albums/complete and utter trash. I guess the conversion to pop/mainstream music would be: catchy simplistic tunes with watered down lyrics so that any idiot could understand its message (not that you have to be special to understand non-mainstream music, but it does usually require a bit more thought)

::arghh:: This is what pisses me off. Just because something is simple does not mean it's trash. Flight Of The Bumblebee is a way more complicated piece than Chopsticks, but I'd much rather listen to someone play Chopsticks on the piano. If you don't care for something, say so. Don't bash it. There's plenty of people who do like it. I happen to love Monster Magnet's song Unbroken (Hotel Baby), from their new CD, but I also like Ozium, from their first CD.

Manson's musical style is metal/goth. It may be mainstream, but that's still his style. Dir en grey is mainstream, but I don't see them singing next to Utada Hikaru. My point? Something doesn't suck if it's mainstream, and doesn't sound like it was produced in a garage. If you don't like it, fine. But guess what? They're selling records, so they must be doing something right.

Lots of bands have major talent, but sometimes that makes them so unique that they only appeal to a very select audience, and therefore stay smalltime. For example, lots of the "underground" metal bands nowadays, to me, sounds like a jumble of guitars and drums, and a guy puking onto the microphone. It really doesn't appeal to me. Does that mean I have no musical taste? No. It means I have different tastes in music than the next person. But I do acknowledge the band's talent.

Who gives a crap if someone is mainstream or not? Jeez! That's a lot of people's goals you know. To sell records and get their music out and listened to by as many people as possible. Music is for entertainment and mainstream just means a lot of people like them (how can they, I don't know, but still!) and therefore, their doing "right".

And like Japanimaniac said, just because something is simple doesn't mean it's crap. Simple things in life, including music, is absolutely beautiful and hell, I'd rather have something simple than something so complicated I can't tell what the hell's going on.

When I say mainstream, I mean that the public controls what the band produces, not the band itself. Look at Manson and Magnet, both of those artists began by condemning the same "hollywoodized" crap they have now become, their message now has been completely swayed so as not to appear hypocritical. Name me one pop band that has come out with a good album, and has kept producing albums to that same caliber. There are a few, but the point is in order to sell lots of records almost everyone "sells out", and abandons their original goal of spreading an anti-authoritarian/corporate/societal image.

Metalica is a perfect example of this degeneration. Kill em all in no way compares to whatever that album is thats out now.

Back
Top Bottom