What's new

What are the best HP engine mods?

U

user3153

What are the best engine mods for increased horsepower. i am new to cars, seeing as i cant drive yet, but since i will soon might as well know this stuff. also, could you buy a better turbo charger than a stock one that comes incars like the evo and sti? i was just wondering, cuz usually stock= not very good. thanx in advance.

x2468 said:
What are the best engine mods for increased horsepower. i am new to cars, seeing as i cant drive yet, but since i will soon might as well know this stuff. also, could you buy a better turbo charger than a stock one that comes incars like the evo and sti? i was just wondering, cuz usually stock= not very good. thanx in advance.
the evo and sti are surprisingly well tune for stock, but still can be better...

Yes, you can replace turbo setups for an aftermarket turbo, etc. But a few of the easy/best bang for the buck mods would be something in the sort of a boost controller, programmed ecu, a fuel management system.. mainly things to "tune" the car rather then add on..

The FIRST thing you need is a less restrictive air filter and exhuast. This will free a small amount of HP depending on the car but will make throttle response so much better. Then you can start thinking about upgraded turbos. Also, if your running at higher boosts, id recomend a bigger intercooler to stop your engine getting too hot. Mapping or programmable ECU's are good to make your engine use more fuel but this will create more HP.

Other way around, turbo engines benefit most from a free flowing exhaust to reduce lag. On an N/A engine back pressure sacrifices low down torque to increase power at the top end. You can do clever things on an NA to produce cylinder scavenging effects but it isn't a simple job.

Turbo is the way to easy horses from small 4 cylinder Japanese stuff but the associated spool up and off boost driving slightly disadvantages them for drifting. Boost upgrade, free flow exhaust and a fuel computer with uprated AFM if it needs it. My S14 makes a cheap and easy 230hp ish with 15psi which is the only modification I've done to it so far. My other project which is a long term one is a 400hp 200sx running a proper piggyback ecu with uprated turbo, FMIC, etc, etc.

My advice is to leave the engine and set about putting a good and tuneable suspension in, coil overs, adjustable sway bars, uprated brakes, poly-bushes then get it all professionally aligned. Cars that handle well are much cooler than an out and out speed machine that feels really loose above 100mph and pulls up like a Nimitz.

Indeedy Wonderland, handling is far more important than pure power, as the USA/Jap car battles prove. :D
Brakes are another important thing to upgrade remember, if your going faster, and cornering quicker, you need to stop quicker too!

Back
Top Bottom