What's new

Soaring smartphone demand rings alarm bells for Japan camera firms

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Since I do not own a smartphone yet... (yeah, you can laugh about that!), I am still using my digital Sony cyber-shot. How about you, do you use your digital camera less now you are having a smartphone? and what do you think those camera companies should do to keep their sales up?

I guess it might help to have a good connection to the internet on your digital camera and to focus more on high quality camera's instead.

Soaring smartphone demand rings alarm bells for Japan camera firms

The soaring popularity of smartphones is crushing demand for point-and-shoot cameras, threatening the once-vibrant sector as firms scramble to hit back with web-friendly features and boost quality, analysts say...

Just as digital cameras all but destroyed the market for photographic film, the rapid shift to picture-taking smartphones has torn into a camera sector dominated by Japanese firms including Canon, Olympus, Sony and Nikon.

Global shipments of digital cameras among Japanese firms tumbled about 42 per cent in September from a year ago to 7.58 million units, with compact offerings falling 48 per cent, according to the Association.

read the full story here

My iPhone's camera has more megapixel than my compact camera; however, it's not just the number of megapixels that amount to good image quality. I use my phone's camera just as backup or as substitute if I didn't bring any other camera; or for party shots; or to inform my wife of discounts at the local supermarket. ;-)

I usually forget my phone even has a camera function. I certainly don't consider it a viable alternative to a proper camera.

haha Mike you are a pro if you ask me and the quality of the photo's would be too low... although it would be interesting to see what you can do with an iphone camera.

There was a very interesting docu on lynda.com on how to shoot photo's with iphones.

[video=youtube;O7X5JB4Ma4I]

see more here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sea... .1046.2-2j5-1.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.dcDvsstqbEk

or go to lynda.com

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Only problem is if you want to take photo's like him you need the silent camera App in Japan/Korea (not sure about other countries).

I'm just too old to get used to the idea of taking a picture on anything without an old-fashioned optical viewfinder.

Since I do not own a smartphone yet... (yeah, you can laugh about that!), I am still using my digital Sony cyber-shot. How about you, do you use your digital camera less now you are having a smartphone? and what do you think those camera companies should do to keep their sales up?

I guess it might help to have a good connection to the internet on your digital camera and to focus more on high quality camera's instead.

the best compact camera, bar none.

Sony RX100 one of 50 'best inventions' of 2012 says TIME Magazine: Digital Photography Review

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

I'm just too old to get used to the idea of taking a picture on anything without an old-fashioned optical viewfinder.

What camera do you use? Leica?

I have found that many phone/smartphone cameras are just too poor quality to produce even decent images unless you have perfect conditions (lighting, etc). That being said my Casio Exilim C721 (the very poor US version of the very nice Japanese phone) aren't bad. Though it is one of the only phones I have ever seen that has an optical zoom and decent glass.

I used to carry around my Canon EOS 300D (the original Digital Rebel) but now that I have a kid it is just too much to manage both at the same time. ;) I am thinking of getting a nice little Canon Digital Elph for my wife and if it works well for her I might follow suit.

I love the camera on my smartphone but aside from uploading the occasional pic to my FB page I hardly use any of the other bells and whistles my phone has. My old mova phone (before it was discontinued) would have been perfectly fine for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom