What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

It's the former. The second stroke (dot) is unusually apart from the first stroke(the red circle), and the dot seems as if it's a part of a single vertical line across the second horizontal line(the blue circle), but the kanji can be recognized as 柔 enough.
ju.jpg

Hello !
I have a question ; what is the difference between those kanji ;
著す
and this one : 書
They both seem to mean "writing", but is it in a different way ? Are 著す more about writing stories for example ?

著す is a verb; a combination of kanji and okurigana. You need to compare with two verbs "著す and 書く" or two kanji "著 and 書".
Anyway, 著す means "to write a book", mostly "to write and publish a book", whereas 書く can be used even for writing a single letter/character.

Hello all!
I'm no good at identifying handwritten kanji, so if somebody would be so very kind as to help me ID the two kanji written in the attachment, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for any help!
Screenshot_20190620-234713_Chrome.jpg

Hello. Not sure if this is a name or nouns/verbs. Can someone please identify this kanji and if possible tell me what the Japanese words might be when written in roman alphabet characters, and also a translation to English if appropriate.

Since this is hand chiseled roughly into a kitchen knife, I have collected multiple examples to help identify it. They all have differences but I think they say the same thing. I can provide more information about the knife brand and series if needed but I thought it might be best to see if the kanji is readable without that first. To my eyes it did not resemble any of the kanji on the website for the knife but I could be wrong.

If the different images do say different things, I am most interested in the first image which is from my own knife.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 12 Jul 1.16.13 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 12 Jul 1.14.10 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 12 Jul 1.13.31 pm.jpg

Last edited:
種壱
Taneichi

That's the name of a blacksmith, company or brand.

Your pictures are taken from the following site, right?

As they say "a kind of unidentified workmans" in their site, I can't find any information about Taneichi.

種壱
Taneichi

That's the name of a blacksmith, company or brand.

Your pictures are taken from the following site, right?

As they say "a kind of unidentified workmans" in their site, I can't find any information about Taneichi.

Thank you very much.

Yes the second and third pictures are from that site. The first picture I took of my own knife. It is a Konosuke Keiai T1 knife from that site.

Funny thing - I asked the seller in the local shop I bought the knife from (in Australia) what the Kanji on the knife said and he had a look and announced "Konosuke". I knew he was just guessing - ha.

The first kanji must be 上.
Do you have other pictures taken from different angles? It seems to me to be polished too much rather than irregular.

The first kanji must be 上.
Do you have other pictures taken from different angles? It seems to me to be polished too much rather than irregular.
Thanks man, yeah I cleaned ita bit. Here there are some other pics. Please let me know I need a video. Thanks again

received_1296246190534838.jpeg

received_2339995099420804.jpeg

received_366144630729706.jpeg

received_464873980758884.jpeg

received_344337433185633.jpeg

実案特許出願
utility model patent application

手造 特関東理器撰(=関東理器特撰)
hand-made, special edition by Kantō Riki (a company's name)

knife
安来鋼
青龍斎宗光作
謹製
Yasugi Speciality Steel
Made by Sēryūsai Munemitsu
Quality Product

wood box
青龍斎宗光作
Made by Sēryūsai Munemitsu

the red square stamp
守谷
Moriya
(The real name of the smith Sēryūsai Munemitsu is 守谷善太郎 Moriya Zentarō.)

Hi, can anyone read the two smaller kanji next to the ゆ? It's a curtain in an onsen. Does anyone perhaps know what it means?

haganai17_01.jpg

Hello! I've saved this Hokuto no Ken image and I'm really curious what the kanji means. Thank you!
tumblr_nr905lRsxe1t075mao1_1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom