What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

joadbres

八方凡人
Reaction score
Situated 9200 kilometers away from the UK, the Japanese are not anywhere near as fussy about place name nomenclature in the UK as are the people who actually live in the UK.

英国 can be interpreted as either Great Britain or the United Kingdom. Your belt translation is fine.

Keep calm and karate on.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Peter,

The (英国) combination of Chinese characters originated in China maybe as early as a thousand years ago. I doubt the Chinese people of that day were even aware of the political differences between England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom. (Did such distinctions even exist in those days?) So, yes, we can use Eikoku to loosely refer to England/GB/UK.

By the way, the Japanese people didn't even have a writing system at that time, so the word pronounced as "Eikoku" hadn't even appeared yet.

But I also have to wonder if the (英国) combination of Chinese characters did not appear until after the adventures of Marco Polo. (I guess I am beginning to give unnecessary information here, but you get the idea of how (英国) may out date the distinguishing of England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom.)

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not what I expected at all... I'm a member of the Karate Union of Great Britain, so there must have been an error with the translation.
There is no error there. "Karate Association of England" is just one of the possible translations of 英国空手協会. In fact, Google search results suggest that 英国空手協会 is the correct Japanese translation of "Karate Union of Great Britain", as joadbres-san pointed out.

Peter Milne

Kouhai
Reaction score
Ah, I see! Thank you all, apologies for the confusion. I had always written it as:

空手連合大英

I should have realised that there is more than one way to express the same meaning. Now I know! Thanks again.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, that's not "original" at all. 大英帝国 is the most common Japanese translation of British Empire, and there are many examples that have 大英 in their names like 大英博物館 "British Museum" or 大英図書館 "British Library".

I had always written it as:

空手連合大英
The word order should be 大英空手連合.