What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Eristy

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi, it's not exactly a kanji question, but I was wondering if you could help me figure out what this sign might refer to?
hag17_0114a.jpg

It's 〇 with 火 inside, then 天 in the middle and 〇 at the end. It's a sign at some building at a highway parking spot.
Also, I have a name of the restaurant next to it, I just wanted to make sure about the reading of the kanji. I think it would be EINA. Woudl you agree?

Also, additional question, does anyone know what a 中央レストラン is? I know it literally means central, but is it like a main restaurant of this parking area?

hag17_0118a.jpg

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
It's 〇 with 火 inside, then 天 in the middle and 〇 at the end. It's a sign at some building at a highway parking spot.
Seems like a tempura restaurant name and its logo (the first one) to me.

I think it would be EINA. Woudl you agree?
Probably yes.

Also, additional question, does anyone know what a 中央レストラン is? I know it literally means central, but is it like a main restaurant of this parking area?
Many interpretations are possible, but I don't think it's "main restaurant of the area".

Eristy

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, Toritoribe! Could you tell me, what you think that 中央 might mean?

Reaction score
〇天 = Maru Ten.
It's 〇 with 火 inside. = Probably the store's symbol  屋号(Yagou)
中央レストラン = main restaurant .

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Could you tell me, what you think that 中央 might mean?
Eristy,

中央 (chūō) means “center”. It is often used in words like 中央 通り (chūō dōri) “main street” and 中央口 (chūō guchi) “main entrance (to a train station, etc.)”.

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you tell me, what you think that 中央 might mean?
If it's used in location names like 中央レストランビル, 中央レストラン棟 or 中央レストランエリア, there's no problem to interpret it as "main", but the restaurant name 中央レストラン sounds odd. If 会依那 is a chain restaurant or something, and 中央 is one of them, 中央店 is the most common name. Or, if 会依那 is a location name, 会依那中央 can mean "Central Eina", but the sign doesn't allow this interpretation. Anyway, if I were you, I would simply translate it to Eina Chūō Restaurant since 中央区/中区 or 北区 is usually translated just to Chūō-Ku(Ward)/Naka-Ku(Ward) or Kita-Ku(Ward), not Central Ward or North Ward, respectively.

EDIT:
I've just come across an idea; a miswriting of 中華レストラン. Well, natives would never make these kinds of mistakes, though.

Dnm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Could you please help me translate the following kanji symbols? They are part of some designs and I believe that are individual words, not necessary phrases. Also, in pic no.2 the bottom kanji is one symbol or 2 symbols very close together?

Thank You!

No.1
Kanji.JPG

No.2
Kanji2.jpg

No.3
Kanji3.JPG

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
1. 現代武術
modern martial art(s)

2. 力量
ability
(The second one is a single character, as in the above.)

3. 幸运
good luck/good fortune
(The second character is used only in main land China or Singapore. 運 is used in Japan or Taiwan.)

Gokuboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, could some lovely person help me figure out what the kanji sentence on this souvenir katana mean? Thank you very much in advance! :)
Screenshot_20190922-073408_Gallery.jpg

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
血気の勇を戒むること
Guard against impetuous courage.

That's one of the five rules of Japan Karate Association.

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
Those characters are a variant of 闘 and 将, respectively.

闘将
valiant fighter/brave leader

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Ha ha. Thank you for that. However, I am not that skilled!
It takes time and lots of practice with a sparing partner to really get a feel (to win) or at least to be able to defend for yourself for any martial arts.