What's new
Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
The first thing in that string is not a kanji. It is a logo of the company. In this case, the company is Jūfuku Suisan (重複水産).
I think officially its called a nijirushi (荷印) which means "packing mark", but most people call it a yagō (屋号) or "company mark/name".

Actually its more like a brand (as in a brand a rancher puts on cattle). It represents a shorthand form of the business owner's name. The katakana イ inside of an angled line, probably means the owner/founder's name started with イ (something like Ichirō or Ichibei or something like that).

Most old firms had a logo like this. A site I read said that this was due to most farmers not having last names during Edo times, and they started incorporating their first name into a kind of "brand name" or "logo" so that they could easily be identified. You can see these types of old style logos everywhere. Here's a page of them

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
Many thanks! Yes, I at first thought is was some kanji, perhaps stylized, and before taking that pic, and me just writing it for my wife, she thought it might have been 刃 (and that I wasn't being clear about--or mistaking--what I had seen). The person that I later talked to when I took the pic was very clear in saying that it was katakana イ.

There's another logo I've seen on trucks around town--the top of 介 but with 石 instead of the third/fourth strokes in kai. That company deals in demolition of buildings and hauling away the rubble.

rycruz10

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am searching online for a translation from english to kanji then found this thread. Please help me to translate the word Walk by Faith because I am not confident of what I found on google translate lol. I will be needing it for my tattoo, please help. Thanks

rycruz10

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks! Yes, I at first thought is was some kanji, perhaps stylized, and before taking that pic, and me just writing it for my wife, she thought it might have been 刃 (and that I wasn't being clear about--or mistaking--what I had seen). The person that I later talked to when I took the pic was very clear in saying that it was katakana イ.

There's another logo I've seen on trucks around town--the top of 介 but with 石 instead of the third/fourth strokes in kai. That company deals in demolition of buildings and hauling away the rubble.
Oh thank you! yes the bible phrase it is actually walk by faith not by sight, but I want it shorter. Here's what I found on google translate 信仰を持って歩む lol

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
That way is also a possibility. Japanese is a flexible language, and there are many ways to express this idea (and, it also changes with each new version of the Bible).
So any of those three are OK.

rycruz10

Registered
Reaction score
That way is also a possibility. Japanese is a flexible language, and there are many ways to express this idea (and, it also changes with each new version of the Bible).
So any of those three are OK.
alright! thanks man, I will use the second one that you suggested. ;)

Mihahh

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Can someone help me translate this one? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG20221202185334.jpg
    IMG20221202185334.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom