What's new

Defence Japan's record defence budget for 2023 to include attack drones

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Golden days for defence contractors: Japan's 5.59 trillion JPY (40.7bn USD) record defence budget for 2023 will include combat drones, research on hypersonic weapons and mass production of long-range missiles. The ministry aims to introduce unmanned vehicles that can be used directly in combat rather than just for surveillance and intelligence gathering. It sees the speedy acquisition and introduction of such drones as necessary to gain an edge in combat while minimising human casualties.

The ministry is also trying to enhance the capability of the missile intercept command system known as the Japan Aerospace Defense Ground Environment to efficiently operate the nation's two-stage missile defense, along with the acquisition of additional missiles, according to the sources. Hypersonic missiles come in two types: hypersonic cruise missiles (HCM) powered by engines; and hypersonic glide vehicles (HGV), which glide to their targets after being launched from rocket boosters. Russia and China are ahead of other countries in HGV technology, according to defense experts. Japan plans to introduce a missile defense system that can deal with HGVs to future Aegis ships, the sources said.

I'm a little bit sad that the line item in the budget for Mecha-Godzilla got cut. 😢

I would have thought it would have fallen under "combat drones" but apparently not.

Would it make you feel better if I told you they are transformers? 🤫

Japan's Defense Ministry is now looking at "potential game changers", approximately 100 attack drones that could also be used as "kamikaze drones":

But because it does not yet have attack drones, the new program would push forward research on their use to crash into enemy armored vehicles that have landed on outlying islands. The drones would be purchased on a trial basis to confirm their capabilities for early deployment.

The planned use of AI now raises ethical concerns:

The Defense Ministry is also asking for funds to research using high-powered lasers and microwaves to shoot down enemy drones. Drones with AI installed could cut down on personnel expenses, but still allow for around-the-clock surveillance. [...] the development of these drones could turn them into lethal autonomous weapons. And there are questions over whether it would exceed current international legal provisions. The lack of human control over such weapons has raised concerns that non-combatants could become collateral damage.

Would it make you feel better if I told you they are transformers? 🤫

Japan's Defense Ministry is now looking at "potential game changers", approximately 100 attack drones that could also be used as "kamikaze drones":

The planned use of AI now raises ethical concerns:

Hrm, why does this sound familiar?

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom