What's new

Japanese language questions

BackwoodsBoy

Kouhai
28 Oct 2016
I understand what you mean by humbling lol 時間通り had me scratching my head for a minute then I was like... Duh haha

I should have mentioned that the kanji still has the radical on the left hand side. Is this guy saying I'm troublesome like a cat...? Draw wouldn't make any sense but if it were cat then that would be very awkward considering the context of the conversation. I can post a photo later but I'm reading this from a Nintendo DS so it's sorta blocky and small text

お ジャック、ちゃんと時間通りか
Jack, are you on time properly?

お前もつくづくマジメだよな。
You are too much trouble.

いや、マジメなのはかまわないんだが
もっと気楽に猫えてた方楽だぞ

^^^thats where I'm confused....

おはい、once again I'm stuck. The kanji looks like 言 but only 3 lines not 4. So take out the second to the top line and that's what I'm looking for. Been searching radicals of 口 for the past hour and I can't find it

おはい、once again I'm stuck. The kanji looks like 言 but only 3 lines not 4. So take out the second to the top line and that's what I'm looking for. Been searching radicals of 口 for the past hour and I can't find it

A picture or the sentence it is in would be far more helpful than a description of it.

Ok

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

言 modified for clarity.

This would go much easier if you spent some time learning the basics of the language first rather than trying to learn by brute force decoding. The way you're going about it is a stone waste of time and energy.

言 modified for clarity.

This would go much easier if you spent some time learning the basics of the language first rather than trying to learn by brute force decoding. The way you're going about it is a stone waste of time and energy.

Well I have been. I have tae Kim's second book that I read before bed and I have this game to test me at work. I'm just not familiar with the kanji I come across, being a N5 and all. Here's what I've done so far tonight on break, I'm sure I've messed up so correct anything you see 先生

お ジャック、ちゃんと時間通りか
Jack, are you on time properly?
お前もつくづくマジメだよな。
You are too much trouble.
いや、マジメなのはかまわないんだが
もっと気楽に構えてた方楽だぞ
No, I do not mind being serious
It's easier for you to stay more comfortable
まあ、オレみたいなやツばっかりでも困るだろうし、そのマジメさがお前のいいところなんだろうけどな
Well, it will be troublesome even if I do not like disappointment, and I guess its merit is a nice thing about you
さて、いまさら確認するでもないだろうか
Well, I wonder if we can confirm it now
ジャック。ハんタースとしてやっていく心構えはできてるか
Jack. Are you feeling prepared to do as a hunter?
(Yes)
いい返事だ。お前には期待してる。
It is a good reply. I expect you.
まあ、オレなんかに( )われなくてもしっかりやるだろうがな、お前なら

さて。。。まずは市長に会いに行くか
Now. . . Will you go to see the mayor at first
ああ、市長は、シテイの代表だけじゃなくハンタースギルドの代表もやってるんだ
only representative of Shitei but also representative of Hunters Guild
ということで、ハンタースになるには市長の許可がいるってわけさ。
That is why the permission of the mayor is to become Hunters
ま、あいさつするだけだ。安心しる
Well, I just say a few words,relieved

Lmao this is getting amusing. I'm gonna study more kanji haha

さあ、行くぞ。とりあえずは、あの実の施設の中だ。そんなかに市長室があるからよ
Now, let's go. In the meantime, it is in that fruit facility. Because there is such a mayoral mayor room

I'm using the wrong kanji, I know 君と弟子。what are the other 4? I keep coming up with juice for the first kanji....?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    925.6 KB · Views: 109
I'm using the wrong kanji, I know 君と弟子。what are the other 4? I keep coming up with juice for the first kanji....?

優秀
期待

You already correctly typed in 期待 earlier.

This is a p!ss-poor way to go about learning kanji, by the way.

優秀
期待

You already correctly typed in 期待 earlier.

This is a p!ss-poor way to go about learning kanji, by the way.
Well I'm actually saving every kanji I learn through the game in a folder in this jisho app that I can study as flash cards later. So far I have 36 I can study from playing tonight. I'm noticing a lot of frequency through these kanji. There's no sense in learning all 4000 if I'm going to only use 2000 for my job and social interaction.

I'm noticing a lot of frequency through these kanji.

That's because you're encountering repetitive vocabulary in the narrow context of a game.

There's no sense in learning all 4000 if I'm going to only use 2000 for my job and social interaction.

I don't know where you get your information, but neither of those figures bear any resemblance to reality.

That's because you're encountering repetitive vocabulary in the narrow context of a game.

I don't know where you get your information, but neither of those figures bear any resemblance to reality.
They don't? That's what I've always read. What are the actual figures then...?

They don't? That's what I've always read. What are the actual figures then...?

There is no reliable number for the "full" amount of kanji that exist, but it is way more than 4000. The number in general use is somewhere around 2000. The number that you will have a "need" for in all likelihood will be nowhere near that. You should learn them as you progress through learning the language, not as an entirely separate activity, and it would be wise to learn them in some sensible order rather than through the shotgun approach you're currently taking. Get yourself some decent, proper Japanese textbook and learn well the foundations of the language first and you'll make much better and more productive use of your time and efforts.

At least for god's sake if you insist on trying to learn by decoding pop culture crap then at least use pop culture crap that has enough pixels in the characters for you to have a decent chance of being able to look them up. I can read and recognize the stuff you've been beating your brains out trying to recognise because I have already learned the characters and the language at least well enough that I don't need the characters to be complete or clear in order to make them out. The writing in those limited pixel game texts is intended to be just barely "good enough" for people who can already read and understand Japanese. They're not intended for people who haven't learned kanji and who are going to try to use them as a basis for looking them up in a dictionary.

You spent an hour or more hunting for a non-existent kanji for a character that would have been obvious at a glance if you had bothered putting in the necessary time and effort learning the language first. That particular one would have been easy enough to guess from context and okurigana even if the kanji had been completely blacked out. You're trying to read stuff waaaaay too early into the process and... forgive my bluntness... doing a miserable job of understanding it, based on your wild-assed guesses at translations of text earlier in the thread.

There is no reliable number for the "full" amount of kanji that exist, but it is way more than 4000. The number in general use is somewhere around 2000. The number that you will have a "need" for in all likelihood will be nowhere near that. You should learn them as you progress through learning the language, not as an entirely separate activity, and it would be wise to learn them in some sensible order rather than through the shotgun approach you're currently taking. Get yourself some decent, proper Japanese textbook and learn well the foundations of the language first and you'll make much better and more productive use of your time and efforts.

At least for god's sake if you insist on trying to learn by decoding pop culture crap then at least use pop culture crap that has enough pixels in the characters for you to have a decent chance of being able to look them up. I can read and recognize the stuff you've been beating your brains out trying to recognise because I have already learned the characters and the language at least well enough that I don't need the characters to be complete or clear in order to make them out. The writing in those limited pixel game texts is intended to be just barely "good enough" for people who can already read and understand Japanese. They're not intended for people who haven't learned kanji and who are going to try to use them as a basis for looking them up in a dictionary.

You spent an hour or more hunting for a non-existent kanji for a character that would have been obvious at a glance if you had bothered putting in the necessary time and effort learning the language first. That particular one would have been easy enough to guess from context and okurigana even if the kanji had been completely blacked out. You're trying to read stuff waaaaay too early into the process and... forgive my bluntness... doing a miserable job of understanding it, based on your wild-assed guesses at translations of text earlier in the thread.
No it's fine I need some input. This is my first time ever trying this. You keep saying decent textbook when I have tae kims guide to Japanese grammar and a different 90 day book I wasted $16 on. Is that not enough for being N5?

No it's fine I need some input. This is my first time ever trying this. You keep saying decent textbook when I have tae kims guide to Japanese grammar and a different 90 day book I wasted $16 on. Is that not enough for being N5?

Have you taken and passed N5? If so, congratulations. If not, you're not N5.

The most frequently recommended textbook around here is the Genki series. There are others as well. I don't know how much you have looked around the rest of the forum or if you have checked out the Learning Japanese section yet, but browsing around there would turn up some suggestions for materials. Branch out and get outside your own member introduction thread.

Have you taken and passed N5? If so, congratulations. If not, you're not N5.

The most frequently recommended textbook around here is the Genki series. There are others as well. I don't know how much you have looked around the rest of the forum or if you have checked out the Learning Japanese section yet, but browsing around there would turn up some suggestions for materials. Branch out and get outside your own member introduction thread.
Sounds good I'm halfway through the tae Kim book so I'll check out genki next. Maybe I'm just not retaining the info since I'm ADD idk... Say you said you are a truck driver, from Tennessee. Do you look like a truck driver from Tennessee..? Flannels, bushy beard, can of chew, etc..?

@BackwoodsBoy , sorry for being a killjoy, but I have dissected your Howdy thread into an intro part and this thread. Perhaps you could post your language-related questions right here. Thanks! 👍

Back
Top Bottom