What's new

Japanese Language Online Resources

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
22 Jan 2004
The JREF Directory Japanese Language Online Resources contains many relevant links for learning Japanese.

I have posted this in hopes of encouraging people to add good urls that are not already included but also to discuss whether there could be some form of improved classification / search system for these links.

If you have a link to add I suggest you search the Japan Directory first and that you also post the link with comments in this thread.

See also my post here.

Suggested classification options
Area of Japanese covered. Maybe one or more of
- Vocabulary
+ Dictionary (?)
- Grammar
+ keigo, verb inflection, adjective inflection (?)
- Writing system
+ kanji, kana, romaji, worksheets (?)
- Kanji writing
+ stroke order, stroke direction, drawing/writing style & techniques(?)
- Pronunciation
+ audio files, video files (?)
- Japanese text
+ ebooks, fairy tales, w/translation, w/furigana (?)
- Misc
+ 'my name in Japanese', Tattoos, 'Portals'(?)

Reviews
I can't tell if the 'add review' form is working or not. I suspect 'not'. So without further ado.

EigoCafe.jp
Link: http://www.eigocafe.jp/
Category: Japanese Text (w/translation)
My Rating: 3 stars

More aimed for Japanese learning English than vice versa it's main appeal to people learning Japanese is probably the bilingual articles which cover a wide range of areas. Unfortunately the first one I checked had rather a dubious Japanese version. Luckily they aren't all like that. All in all a decent resource of bilingual text - but one to take care with.

Japanese Kanji & Kana
Link: Learn japanese kanji, hiragana, katakana - Learn kanji, hiragana, katakana, japanese grammar and vocabulary for free
Category: Writing system (kanji, kana)
My Rating: 4 stars

An ambitious site - including much online as well as available to download. It's main drawback is that it looks very new. It doesn't seem to have had enough time to mature, collect content in depth and gather regular visitors. In other words it might be best to check back on it in a years time. It is, however, a very slick if sometimes slightly confusing web design.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility of the JREF Search page as it currently exists accomodating Japanese character input ? Maybe it has something to do with my settings or the way I'm setting up the search term, but it never works for me.

Elizabeth said:
Is there any possibility of the JREF Search page as it currently exists accomodating Japanese character input ? Maybe it has something to do with my settings or the way I'm setting up the search term, but it never works for me.
It's not just you and I suspect I know why it is but it might not be that easy to fix.

It also affects the Forum search as well.

Basically I think the Japanese text you input in the search box probably ends up in a different charcode / format to that being searched for.

Paul, thanks again for your suggested classification. 👍

Elizabeth, I believe that the database cannot be queried for Japanese input due to MySQL-intrinsical behaviour:

(MySQL 4.1)To make FULLTEXT MATCH work with Japanese UTF-8 text, be careful that words from your Japanese text be separated by the __ASCII__ space character, not Japanese UTF-8 (or other) spacing characters. (when using phpMyAdmin to manage data/ write a SQL query, you must switch away from your Japanese IME to insert a space char...)

Source

I admit I am not well acquainted with that issue, but will inquire further.

Hello ^_^.

Paul, thanks for reviewing my website :) I'd like to make some comments, can I?

PaulTB said:
An ambitious site
I must say... "Yes" :)

PaulTB said:
It's main drawback is that it looks very new
Actually, it's very new. I put this website online on 2004/04/14. You can check this happy news :) .... But time goes fast, it'll be soon 4 months!

PaulTB said:
It doesn't seem to have had enough time to mature, collect content in depth and gather regular visitors
About regular visitors, I think it'll be the hardest. Actually, I know some people come regularly but don't participate to the website life :( ... It'll come later I hope :)

PaulTB said:
It is, however, a very slick if sometimes slightly confusing web design
The design is confusing? :?

Well, I'm working on my website everyday and I try to add content as soon as I can.

Oki, I've to work on my next kanji cards set :)

Bye!

P.S.: What about your work about kanji? Have you made some progress? I hope so :)

Back
Top Bottom