What's new

Japan Photos 2023

Some plants just never give up.

springing out.jpeg

One of my wife's favourite TV shows is Asahi's "Daikozo! Gekiteki Before/After" (大改造!! 劇的ビフォーアフター)

Each program focuses on a single housing reform project that has been given a fixed time for completion and a fixed budget (usually under 5 million yen). The designers are taken from a pool of takumi, or "masters," in a specific architectural discipline such as lighting or ventilation. Cameras follow the work closely, and the designers explain why they are doing certain things and how they save money.

Yesterday, they featured a project in our neighbourhood, a small カレーパン shop owned by a couple that had spent 25 years in Sri Lanka. They prepare their own curry mix and produce (and sell) about 100 servings daily. Of course, my wife wanted to try them today, but as expected after a TV feature, they were sold out in less than 30 minutes (although they'd increased production by 20 per cent and even had a helper from the TV station).

Here's the reformed building:

Sri Lanka Curry

Is that Lake Inawashiro or the very attractive moat in the grounds of the castle (see photo)? We travelled from Koriyama to Aizu and back with a lot of detours. We went past Inawashiro but didn't head north past Mt Bandai.

Attachments

• 20230327_100745.jpg
    20230327_100745.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 66
By far the best photo I've taken on a short trip north: a tea house in Aizu Wakamatsu, Fukushima prefecture.

@Lothor, is that the tea house in the Oyakuen?

Is that Lake Inawashiro or the very attractive moat in the grounds of the castle (see photo)? We travelled from Koriyama to Aizu and back with a lot of detours. We went past Inawashiro but didn't head north past Mt Bandai.

I remember there's Lake Inawashiro, but three smaller lakes further north towards Bandai. Wonderful cycling turf and lots of sake breweries. :)

@Lothor, is that the tea house in the Oyakuen?

I remember there's Lake Inawashiro, but three smaller lakes further north towards Bandai. Wonderful cycling turf and lots of sake breweries. :)
Looks like a different place. The tea house in the photo I took was in the grounds of Tsuruga Castle.

You can tell by the deer in the front yard that's where I posted 4 years ago I guess when I bought my first bicycle that I posted same deer same yard yeah that's it man and it's kind of hard to imagine this the way it is life can be hard but at least you want to have beauty of nature surrounded by you. Got mulberry tree raspberry and BlackBerry and orange tree and a mini grapes Vine yeah that's about it. Japanese sour cherry tree also and they're edible too they come out in June or good for about one and a half weeks and you got to get them real quickly while you pick them off the tree.

Typical Japanese street where the neighbors don't talk to Guy jeans but it's okay we have a yard clean up what community clean up and we have to go have to go through our yard and well their eyes really open up and actually I'm very silent person in the neighborhood yeah really shocked you know but yeah twice a year we have neighborhood cutting the grass so they got to cut through the yard

Also, out to eat tonight, in addition to a set we got and shared this buri-kama. It was big, use the chopsticks at the bottom as a measure. Usually you just get the section to the right, the collar, but this place left the head on (sliced in half down the middle). ¥1800.

buri kama.JPG

Back
Top Bottom