What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japan Photos 2021

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
yellow dahlia.jpeg

The above flower, and this one, are both Dahlia. I was by there this morning and the owner fellow who is growing these was there working on some other potted stuff. That's close to life size, maybe a little smaller, by a cm or two.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I found this one in our neighbourhood park when I walked the dog this morning. I don't know what it is, and I haven't tinkered with the colours.

striking-purple-2.jpg

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
ケイトウ. Or cockscomb in english. I think it's more of a collection of things, more like a genus than a species? Tho it may be like apples--a lot of breadth and variety within the species.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
bamboo+people.jpeg

Yes, maybe 20min walk to get there. Went with daughter, son-in-law, and kids, so on that level of easy to get to. They were impressed, and we didn't even get that far in.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Not sure what they are, I found seas of yellow yesterday in the mountains and along the river. My wife promised to check her plant book.

yellow01.jpg

yellow02.jpg

Towards the summit.

tomin-no-mori.jpg

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Looks a lot like ragweed here in the US , made me sneeze looking at it , LOL.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
Not sure if it triggers allergies, or if it's considered invasive here, but some reports are that it somehow is not good for some bugs--ants, butterflies.

I'd consider it a weed, tho I guess one person's weed is another's flower.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I have never seen millet looking so towering and majestic before!

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
The guy who grows this does a lot of different things (his wife is there, too, but only occasionally). He once explained that there were different kinds of キビ, drawing the characters on the ground with a stick. He's one of the friendlier gardeners/farmers around, and once gave me a huge hakusai. He's meticulous to a degree that other gardeners aren't--they way he lays out rows, pulls the dirt up onto negi, covers starts with netting, etc. The millet is certainly done & gone, but he has daikon and broccoli in as of a week or two ago.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Roundabout in Seiseki-Sakuragaoka

While pottering about this morning (it's a truly brilliant day today) we came across the famous roundabout in Seiseki-Sakuragaoka in Tama, Tokyo, along Irohazaka. It is one of the few roundabouts in Tokyo and was featured in the Studio Ghibli movie "Whisper of the Heart" (耳をすませば, Mimi o Sumaseba, 1995).

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
For the roundabouts in new zealand, it was the cars already in it that had the right of way--is it the same here?

Not much good today. A couple attempts:

green rays on red.jpeg

concept.jpeg

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
For the roundabouts in new zealand, it was the cars already in it that had the right of way--is it the same here?

Yes, in fact it is. And it was the first time I did a roundabout on the bicycle. :)

Top Bottom