• J-pop

Votes: 406 36.4%
  • Japanese people (friendship or more)

Votes: 781 70.0%
  • Japanese language

Votes: 807 72.3%
  • Japanese food

Votes: 648 58.1%
  • Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...)

Votes: 561 50.3%
  • Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...)

Votes: 283 25.4%

• Total voters
Largely my interest for Japanese culture stemmed from watching anime as a teenager. My Uncle is an English teacher in Japan, and he introduced the language to me. My tutor also lets me sample Japanese food/drink which gives me an insight of which intrigues me deeply. I am currently saving to visit Japan....

I love me some Japanese video games.
I often feel inadequate because I know next to 0 about anime, so I will probably start brushing up on that next!

Many people from Japan could not process the events after the 2nd world war. The culture and the values which are learnt there differ basically from the today's western values.

My aim is the unity and the knowledge

Hey, Stradini, you and SamuraiTora would make a great pair.

@bikes
Most Japanese ride only 250cc since the 1000cc class is a different and more expensive license. If I'd ride a cycle it would definitly be either a harley or a honda :)

50cc is much better and safer. It's also a chick magnet.

Last edited:
50cc is much better and safer. It's also a chick magnet.
While it's true a 50cc scooter is a serious chick magnet, I actually went to the trouble of getting a motorcycle license in Japan (with no previous motorcycling experience) after riding a scooter for a while. It felt dangerous to me not being able to keep up with traffic, riding on the side of the road where car doors may open at any time, etc.

I have a few Japanese friends and it is strange how I started to REALLY like Japanese culture and people in general.
I'm thinking seriously of learning Japanese language for the next two years.. Am I giving an ambitious timeframe?

I'm thinking seriously of learning Japanese language for the next two years.. Am I giving an ambitious timeframe?

Welcome to the forum.

That all depends on what you hope to be able to do with it by then and how much effort you're willing to put into it.

If it's going to take more than two years you're not going to bother with it? I started learning it over thirty years ago and I'm nowhere near being finished.

What do you hope to be able to do with it at the end of that time?

I have interest for a lot of things of Japan. first, I love NPB.NPB means "Nippon Professional Baseball". My favorite team is Yomiuri Giants! I hope Giants will be champion next season. Second, I like Japanese food and I especially like Sushi. I often go to Hamazushi with my friends.

As a child, I really loved anime, manga & Japanese console games. Nowadays, I still love games but rarely watch anime or read manga. Nowadays I'm especially interested in Japanese music (not as widely interested as in junior high though) and Japanese food. I have yet to find a Japanese dish I wouldn't like, I have liked everything I have eaten so far!

I love Japanese language too but am currently a bit fed up with it & totally regret choosing it as my major in University...

I love Japanese language too but am currently a bit fed up with it & totally regret choosing it as my major in University...

I can well imagine the pressure of having to get good grades and proceed at somebody else's pace would take all the fun out of it.

What year are you in? What are you planning on doing with a major in Japanese?

I can well imagine the pressure of having to get good grades and proceed at somebody else's pace would take all the fun out of it.

What year are you in? What are you planning on doing with a major in Japanese?
My problem is actually the opposite, the courses are way too easy and it feels like I'm just wasting my time. :''D Only thing I have problems with is hand-writing kanji.

I'm on my 3rd year now but have studied Japanese myself for nearly 10 years. And no idea what I'm going to do with my major...

My interests in Japan are vast, and varied. My primary fascination with Japan is the immeasurable craftsmanship, particularly in blacksmithing & woodworking. If anyone else is into blacksmithing or woodworking, as well as Japanese tools please reach out as I'd like to discuss. Thanks!

Started with anime...
They are really good at that.Also main interests are kendo and people. I do kendo myself and have Japanese friend. I little bit know their culture. It is really impressive. This is the main view of my interest as a person who is willing to live in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom