What's new

What do you like about living in Japan?

What do you like about living in Japan ?

• Total voters
to move to Miyako-jima
The development going on down there is crazy. It's making Miyakojimans flock here since their rent is skyrocketing.
I suppose you have a military job there?
Marine to 2 contractor positions to pass time.
retired but willing to work.
Now I'm a grifter living off retirement and enjoying it as I'm on the road 2-3 hours a day covering the island.
But save your money and buy a house with land if possible and grow some fruit trees.
Was waiting on that permanent as banks wouldn't touch me without 30-60% down, even on marriage. Now that I got it I'm pulling the trigger on land, after what I see is going to be a bubble pop with this unsustainable growth (2020-2022), which aligns with my daughter graduating high school (only thing holding me back now).

It's 200万円 per tsubo here; I could afford 5 and live in my car. :D

Where I'm eyeing is anywhere from 5万円 to 20万円 to get at least a quarter acre or more to which I plan on offsetting that investment with a 1-1.5千万円 container home which can be taken away after I'm dead and the property, hopefully 2-3x in value by then, subdivided to the fam with 1 or 2 fifty tsubo plots sold.

But until then, one or two containers will be used for kenneling strays (with a huge dog run) until they can be adopted. And, maybe mangos or something...

Only 2 more years till she graduates so coming soon.

US Navy here(CTR3-HFDF). Stationed in Fukuoka in 1971-72 at our spy base there. I fell madly in love with Japan and my dream girl. I really wanted to live in Japan when I finished my 4 years. Trouble was , I was a gun nut who started shooting and hunting in 1955 and just could not bring myself to give it up. I ended up going back to Maine and my girlfriend refused to move to Maine , so in of that love story , LOL.
Frank, my wife doesn't want me to be adventurous in this country, so she kept me piss *** broke till I got SS. Sad story dude.

The development going on down there is crazy. It's making Miyakojimans flock here since their rent is skyrocketing.

Marine to 2 contractor positions to pass time.

Now I'm a grifter living off retirement and enjoying it as I'm on the road 2-3 hours a day covering the island.

Was waiting on that permanent as banks wouldn't touch me without 30-60% down, even on marriage. Now that I got it I'm pulling the trigger on land, after what I see is going to be a bubble pop with this unsustainable growth (2020-2022), which aligns with my daughter graduating high school (only thing holding me back now).

It's 200万円 per tsubo here; I could afford 5 and live in my car. :D

Where I'm eyeing is anywhere from 5万円 to 20万円 to get at least a quarter acre or more to which I plan on offsetting that investment with a 1-1.5千万円 container home which can be taken away after I'm dead and the property, hopefully 2-3x in value by then, subdivided to the fam with 1 or 2 fifty tsubo plots sold.

But until then, one or two containers will be used for kenneling strays (with a huge dog run) until they can be adopted. And, maybe mangos or something...

Only 2 more years till she graduates so coming soon.

I know the rents now in okinawa are fairly high.

I know the rents now in okinawa are fairly high.
I got a pretty sweet ocean view deal locked in at 67,000 yen per month when I first moved in about 10 years ago. People moving in around me are paying up to 20,000 yen more plus parking (5000 yen) generally isn't included either.

How are the schools there for your child?
Decent public schools, especially this area. It's a "richer" part of the city and thus they are afforded more opportunities (greater facility too). I've considered private schooling, but I can't justify the international rate of $7000 per year for a piece of paper after you graduate when the outcome is essentially the same, learning wise.

I left Japan 15 years ago, after living there for six years (plus three years on military assignment in Tokyo). It was the right decision at the time, but I miss Japan intensely.

I like around 60% of the list, with a particular nod to the thriving consumer culture. Unlike here in the US, which has become depressingly devoid of variety and uniqueness, Japan had so much on offer. I hope that hasn't weakened while I've been away.

My Japanese wife and son recently went for a couple of weeks. It was his first time, and now he has the Japan bug too.

I selected the JREF option :) .

It was not to make Uncle Frank happy :) but for the simple reason is that at one point in time you stop thinking.

In my long years, I realized that there are 4 stages in Japan (not sure only for me or with others too).

Stage 1: When I first landed here in 2000, I found this country so different in everything that I fell in love with it instantly. After a year in Osaka, somehow, I moved to Germany/Switzerland by changing my job. But Japan was not going away from me and I decided to come back. Fortunately, my ex-employer was asking me to join back, so it was easy.

Stage 2: After a few years of excitement, when I really started integrating with people on DEEPER level, I realized that there were so many things that I didn't like.

Stage 3: I started feeling that why I was being negative when there are so many good things here.

Stage 4: Then, after so many years, you just stop thinking about bad and good because all of this becomes your own life and becomes so natural.

Back
Top Bottom