What's new

Japan flunks @ global level

tokapi

後輩
8 Sep 2007
They are Japan's top-notch national universities — University of Tokyo (ranked 19th), Kyoto University (29th) and Osaka University (70th). None of the country's venerable and highly prestigious private universities, including Keio and Waseda, made the top 100.

American universities dominate the rankings — 11 out of the top 20 and 33 out of the top 100. More alarming is that five Chinese universities are in the top 100, with Beijing University ranked 14th.

The Japanese education system is too rigid to adapt to change and the needs of the times,it relies on rote memorization.Japanese youth ( house hermits = hikikomori ) are becoming less outgoing and losing the spirit of seeking a challenge. Japan and its people could be isolated from the rest of the world if this trend prevails.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20071123f1.html

If I remember correctly. Getting into a Japanese University is so much harder than getting into an American one.

Lots of Japanese students go to America for college. I know 5 personally that have. They also say it's easier to get in.

If I remember correctly. Getting into a Japanese University is so much harder than getting into an American one.

I've heard stories from Japanese students who already started going to juku-school 2 years before high school graduation. I even think it's common to start going even earlyer.

I think the Japanese high schools are the main problem. I've heard there's no such thing as failing your year; no mather how bad your results are you will be able to graduate from high school together with the smart students. It's hard for me to imagine but I heard this from a Japanese student I know personaly.

The fact that going to juku-school is a must to enter most of the good universities proves that high school is not sufficient enough. I have the feeling that high school is also very easy in Japan compared to the ones in Europe and US. Why not make high school lessons harder and already orientated to possible future university applicants. I would have a hard time to attend all lessons in such a high school, knowing I would merely waste my time there and still have to go to ANOTHER school in the evening. :eek:

Out of statistics it is said that Belgium has the best education system of the world. Maybe because we actually learn about other countries (sorry for the sarcasm hehe 😌 ) and there are 4 languages that we get in high school. Still, there's no such thing as entrance exams here in Belgium (except for doctor/surgeon/dentist and art courses). You just have to be graduated from a high school (doesn't mather which course you took). Because graduating from a high school in Belgium proves you are capable enough to take further advanced classes.

Then again, I'm actually surprised that not a single Japanese university makes it in the top 100. It actually doesn't make sense at all. Having such hard entrance exams for just a mediocore university. There's really something not right with Japanese education.

American universities may be top of the world, but aren't they expensive ? Again I've heard (I hear a lot you know 😌 ) that it's common for American students to loan money from the bank to pay for there study expenses ? Belgian universities may not be in top 100, but even poor students can atttend university here (thanks to our pretty vast social welfare system). I still feel that education is a basic need for all people, so it should be possible for anyone.

I guess nowhere in the world education is 100 % best.

American universities may be top of the world, but aren't they expensive ? Again I've heard (I hear a lot you know 😌 ) that it's common for American students to loan money from the bank to pay for there study expenses ? Belgian universities may not be in top 100, but even poor students can atttend university here (thanks to our pretty vast social welfare system). I still feel that education is a basic need for all people, so it should be possible for anyone.

That's right - probably the majority of students have loans to pay back when they graduate from a university. The U.S. is behind other nations in this respect - we have no national healthcare (yet) or education system for after high school.

I think Japanese Highschool aren't difficult, but the Japanese school where i go in Mechelen is 100x difficult then those of Japan :eek:

I thought Finland had the best education in the world.

Finland tops global school table

Finnish pupils spend the shortest amount of time in lessons
Finland's claim to have the best school system has been reinforced by the latest international comparisons. First results from the PISA study of 40 countries put it top overall in the maths, reading and science tests.

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Finland tops global school table

Partly true,all US state universities & community colleges are government-funded with tax-payers' dollars.

Universities in Europe are free. Where as in US they cost a fortune

Lots of Japanese students go to America for college. I know 5 personally that have. They also say it's easier to get in.

Yeah, because the quality of a school is ranked by how hard it is to get into to *insert rolling eye smiley here*

Australia has 6 Universities ranked in the top 50, with the top ranked one ahead of Todai :) Not bad for a country with 1/6th the population.

Universities in Europe are free. Where as in US they cost a fortune
Hold on hold on, not all universities here are free!! Dutch universities have a fixed tuition of 1,400 euro a year.

If all universities were free I would definitely have gone to Oxford or Cambridge!! But alas, they're not.

Back
Top Bottom