What's new

Items you miss from Japan when outside of Japan

Thank you Matthew and Golgo for getting the thread back on track.

I also miss barbequed squid-on-a-stick bought from a cart. I ain't kidding. I think it's yummy!

I miss walking around castles and thinking "real samurai for the middle ages walked on these grounds".

Waking up to the sounds of Beethoven's 6th symphony blaring from the elementary school's loudspeakers across the street so the kids could do their little exercises. Wait, I don't miss that.

I miss the immigration officer questionning me during one hour inside their dirty office at the airport :)

Just kidding ... but the fact is true : it happened.

What I miss

Came across this site while searching for a place to purchase Oronamin C. I grew up in Tokyo - 15 years. I have ben back in Canada for 5 years now and there are too many thing to list about what I miss.

Here are the ones that come to mind:

Convenience Stores that actually sell useful items
WAVE Music store in Roppongi
Kiddyland on Omotesando
baby turtles
Oronamin C / Aquarius / Apple Chasse
beer in the movie theatres
taking a row boat around the imperial palace moat
a $10 cup of coffee on a lazy Sunday afternoon
Bike riding on the sidewalks
dish shopping at tawaramachi
roof hoping in Azabu Juban
Pizza potato chips
Tokyo weather in October
and the best public transportation

Where in Canada do you live? Are there any Japanese grocery stores in your city? The ones in LA carry Oronamin C. I never liked the stuff, though. Calpis either.

But I love "Baum Cuchen" -- baamu kuuhen. The cake that looks like a tree with tree rings.

Originally posted by noyhauser
hmm...

Anpan. Still my favorite pastry.
100 Yen Kaitenzushi- 2800 yen later rolling yourself out the door and still less calories than a Macdonalds.
Instant Japanese apple curry. mmmmmmmmm
Usless Gadgets (why do you need a robotic dog?)
SAPORRO TIME!!
Roof top combined Beergardens yakiniku places. OMG is there ever a better party location for friends.

Those are a few that stick out in my head.

Sapporro time? I don't like this beer! Kirin and Asahi tastes best!

Yakitori from an old, dirty Yatai with an old man wearing a hachimaki cooking.

I just had some Yakitori in Little Tokyo in LA for lunch, and it was nowhere near as good as what you get in Japan.

I'm back from Japan only for one month now and i miss soooo many things, I think I won't be able to list them all....

misoshiru to gohan to umeboshi for breakfast
lemonwater
ramen
onsen/sento
yukata (though I have some here)
conbini
depato (tokyu hands, loft etc.)
muji rushi-things
tv-shows (hey!x3, utaban, game-shows etc.)
the transportation system
politeness
warm toilet-seats
smell of tatami and incence
hearing Japanese everywhere
seeing Japanese people everywhere
jpn. book-shops
jpn. cd-shops
jpn. grocery-shops
getting things packed into the shopping-bag
the office where I worked
my collegues
my friends
exploring as much as possible in my spare time and enjoying every little detail
being happy
earthquakes (strange, but they made me feel more alive)

Okay, I better stop here, I'm afraid I could go on forever, especially about food I could make a very long list.

And I can't say what I miss most, except for the people😭

I even miss the stupid melodies in the hospital I had to stay in, which tell the nurses that a person had called for them.:p

That white cotton surgical masks people wear during cold/flu season in Japan.

There's a woman in my work place who was out for a few days with the flu. She's back but she's still coughing a lot. I wish people would wear those things here. Have different funky designs on them--like a mouth with perfect teeth

:D

I've already replied & I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times already...
I'm only back from Japan (again) a little while so I still have a few things clear in my mind that I miss alot!
I *really* miss some of those crazy Japanese TV shows!👍
myself & my girlfriend were rolling around laughing at this one in particular where it was a contest to see who could live spending the least amount of money on food for a certain period of time...
*Oh man!*...
there was this guy who went out into the sea hunting octopus with a long spike!...
& he was burning them in a fire & smacking them against the wall!...
and shouting to himself... & pretending they were alive...
like an absolute mad-man!
hehehehe...
ah, you'd hafta see it to see how crazy this guy was!
😄
Ah... I miss stuff like that!

Originally posted by Golgo_13
Das ist gut!

Wo im Japan . . . did you live?

Mein Deutch ist nicht gut
Dein Deutsch ist besser als mein Japanisch!
I lived in Yokohama and a little while very close to Toyota.
Oh, I miss Yokohama! It's so comfortable to live there. In no time you're in Tokyo and in even less on the beach in Kamakura or Fujisawa! And Yokohama itself is great!

Are you sometimes visiting Japan?

Originally posted by dadio [/i)
there was this guy who went out into the sea hunting octopus with a long spike!...

Hey, I did watch exactly that episode! After pulling the octopus out of the water (it was still alive) he bit off a ****** of it and then said that it was "umaiiii"... so funny!!!!

Well...I miss good, fresh sashimi....

Originally posted by tsukinoko

Are you sometimes visiting Japan?

I'm planning to go in April. I usually stay in Osaka.

Did I give you the information on the Ramen noodle shop in Berlin?

Cocolo (Ramen)

Mテシnzstraテ歹 2310178 Berlin Sa/So 19.00 Uhr- open end

🍜 🍜 🍜 🍜 🍜
Ohhh...Ramen...
is it really good ramen in Berlin? I tried some in Dテシsseldorf, but they can't keep up with the ones in Japan!
I'm so glad that I can make ramen myself from scratch, otherwise that would be the first item on my missing-list!

At the one in Berlin the soup is not as hot as it is in Japan. Most German customers complained that it was too hot, so Oliver, the owner, keeps the soup several degrees lower. Otherwise, he also makes everything from scratch including the noodles.

How they gift-wrap any and every purchase so nicely at better department stores (without even asking them to). I liked Takashimaya with the wrapping paper with roses.

--------------

How Japanese mothers delicately peel and cut apples into pieces for their kids.

I still do that when I eat apples. Years ago when I was a college student, some loudmouth who sat in the same table as me in the dining hall said to me "You should eat the peel. That's where all the vitamins are."

I put the peel on his tray and said "If you wanted it, why didn't you just ask? By the way, it's also where all the insecticides, pesticides and plastic coating are, and they don't wash the apple before serving it here."

There were no comebacks.

I've never seen any mothers do it here ever since I've been here at 9 years of age. All the kids I knew just bit into an apple whole.

"Black-Eyed" ? Your hubby gettin' rough with you agin?

Hmmmm...haven't been around many mothers, then? Mine did it for me all my life. Peel it, core it, and cut it up into pieces. In fact, we'd always see who could peel the entire apple without breaking the skin. Maybe it's a southern thing.

Anyway...

> Doing "kiseru" on the trains.

You miss cheating the Japanese rail companies? Maybe if you go to Walmart and try shoplifting you'll feel better.

:confused:

kirei_na_me said:
Hmmmm...haven't been around many mothers, then? Mine did it for me all my life. Peel it, core it, and cut it up into pieces. In fact, we'd always see who could peel the entire apple without breaking the skin. Maybe it's a southern thing.

Anyway...

We always ate the skin. The only time we saw any apple peeling going on was when the apple was going to be baked into something.

Back
Top Bottom