What's new

Art Interpreting Japan Porcelain Marks

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Topics, threadsm and news related to Japanese art and artists

CalixBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All, thanks for your help on the iron kettle, I still have it! I found a couple of other items, including a book on Japanese porcelain written and published in Japan (In English) by Hazel M. Gorham entitled "Japanese and Oriental Pottery" (also includes ceramics). Ms. Gorham was assisted by Mr. Masando Ono, Mr. Atsuharu Sakai, and Mr. Shoshun Otake. Printed by Yamagata Printing, Yokohama. A great reference as it reads like a story with plenty of Japan history on the origins of pottery and ceramics.

My recent acquisitions, here in Massachusetts include some very interesting miniature Kutani items. Here is one that I have NOT been able to find so, if anyone can help. That would be greatly appreciated!

It is only about 3 inches tall and is so finely detailed that single hair brushes must have been used to make the images. It has both under the glaze images as well as on top of the glaze images. Red, black, pink, gold, green with highlights in grays, blacks and browns.
20230305_111643-1.jpg

Here are some images of the Vase itself. It is also semi transparent. Very nice and I have to say, an art form I had no idea was this good!

20230305_144321.jpg

Here is the image of the War Lord
20230305_144219.jpg

and one more!
20230305_144242.jpg

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
九谷 Kutani
鏑木 Kaburaki

It's a kiln/potter/brand that is still in existence.

CalixBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link but I'm unable to get through to them via email to ask which generation it came from.

CalixBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I did and it doesn't go through. I tried it several times. The only other option they allow is a phone call.

Top Bottom