What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

def in Japan: a comic diary

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I have around 1000 old comics in my cellar , the ones that sold for 10 cents each. I hope someday the market goes through the roof again and I might think about parting with them.

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
I have around 1000 old comics in my cellar , the ones that sold for 10 cents each. I hope someday the market goes through the roof again and I might think about parting with them.
The ones that were 10 cents are still valuable, and are unlikely to greatly improve in price unless they have a connection to something popular still going today (like, for instance, the Flash). The danger of the collectable market is that it seems to peek when the kids who first bought them get in their 40s and 50s, and have money and space to buy it. So, for example, in the used toy market, Howdy Doody toys aren't in demand, since the people who want them are in their 70s, but GI Joe and He-Man are going to be booming for the next decade or two.

You'd be well-served to find a reputable comic shop in your area to sort through them and see what they can get for them. By reputable, that is, a shop that sells a diversity of comics, not just super-heroes, and focuses on comics and books, rather than Funko Pops and Magic Cards. The shops that focus only on heroes often are baffled when actual silver age, non-DC/Marvel cross their path. The real dealers know what the books are and how to get them into the hands of people who will treasure them.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I ran into an antique shop here in Maine that is off the beaten path and run by an older couple. In a back corner of the shop , they had about 25,000 old comics that were dust covered. Someday I may go back and check them out. I had my wife with me and she knew I'd be there for about 3 days if she let me look , LOL. Back in the hey day of comics , some of mine like old Star Trek ones were listed at over $50 each. In todays market , I'd probably get $5 , LOL.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I ran into an antique shop here in Maine that is off the beaten path and run by an older couple. In a back corner of the shop , they had about 25,000 old comics that were dust covered. Someday I may go back and check them out. I had my wife with me and she knew I'd be there for about 3 days if she let me look , LOL. Back in the hey day of comics , some of mine like old Star Trek ones were listed at over $50 each. In todays market , I'd probably get $5 , LOL.
Why do you believe prices have gone down?

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Years back , the market was crazy high and it suddenly dropped like a rock. To be honest , I have not checked prices in the last 5 years or more. These days , I'd probably swap the whole collection for a gun to add to my collection , LOL.

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
Continuing the month, I'm really enjoying doing color work far removed from my regular style

Atlas, a little known 70s DC character
C7E2585C-AAA4-4560-8464-04081C36BC2A.png

Black Widow killing time in a safe house
Jacktober2021-14.PNG

Odin
Jacktober2021-16.jpeg

The Celestials, who may just become movie stars when the Eternals opens next month
Jacktober2021-18.png

Vibranium, the power of Wakanda
Jacktober2021-19.png

Atlantis
Jacktober2021-20 Atlantis.png

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Love the colors ! I learned to read with comic books. They were way more fun the the "Dick & Jane" books of the early 50's. Most of my allowance went for comics at 10 cents each. If you waited till they were 1 month old , they cut the front cover in half and sold them for a nickel. Your comics bought back a lot of good memories !

Top Bottom