What's new

How to Type Japanese

hontoi sogoai
i am acually downloading NJStar japanese word processor.
i didn't even think there was a program like this.i am so glad.
the idea of googling it is awsome.arigatooooooo
ja

窶堋?窶堋?ツ、窶喃窶塲停?壺?ヲ窶塲ス窶堋ウ窶堙ア窶堙姑椎槌湛窶堙ーナ陳ゥ窶堙や?堋ッ窶堋スツ!
窶堋ア窶堙娯?嗷窶塒??堋鞘?壺?吮?壺?昶?堡停?壺?「窶壺?昶?堋ェ窶儺窶堋オ窶堙??堋ス窶堙ヲツ!
窶啻窶塲停?壺?敖'ツ ツ:窶喞

窶堙??堋、窶堙?窶堙昶?堙ア窶堙按!

Sighz, I was taught that つ=tsu and づ=tsu/zu, which explains my inability to figure that out on my own. But yeah my Japanese teacher confirmed what you said (forgot I had lessons with her yesterday).

Thanks for the help. =)

I did everything but when I type all i see is romaji and only romaji.

[edit]: I've tried to enable this thign in the past but without results. I've got the japanese keyboar and ime settings up th language bar sais JP but when i type be it in notepad, google bad, word, open office, this forum, anywhere all i see are these romanized letters without anything spiffy or anything that would differ in any way out of the ordinary.

Also as a bonus question, how do i say things in "now" form in japanese? for instance. i eat meat = niku o tabemasu. i'm eating meat = ???. I initially thought the japanese refered to both but have since realised otherwise.

Please help and for those who do, thank you! And for those who read but are unable to answer, sorry for my typos and misspellings :eek:

Hmm well it seems i've somehow figured out how to work the language bar now. For instance: わたしはばかです。 I find the shortcuts really tedious though and find that clicking is much less of a hassle. Either way, it works now the way i thought it might've. The installation instructinos were helpful so thanks for that!

Re :

Hi
I am not sure if it is the best, but at least it is evolving and you can give it a try if you wanna keep up with your Japanese skills, including speaking and writing. Their language exchange section is well organized and Japanese native speakers will offer help on a per question basis.

This may sound weird, but how do you type a question mark?
I use shift + . to make a period, shift + , to make a comma. Can't find the ?.

First thing you need to do is setup a Japanese keyboard. (Don't worry you don't actually need a physical one just change around some options.) Again go to your control Panel and click Region and Language Options button. Click the Languages tab at the top and hit the Details button. Just click the "Add button" on the middle right and scroll till you see "Japanese." Then click the Keyboard layout/IME button and click "OK". After doing this a language bar will popup on your desktop. You can configure it a bit in the "Language Bar" button at the bottom after you click OK. That's pretty much it, now how to actually type.
How do I set the Keyboard layout/IME to United States-International ? The default language is Japanse - Microsoft IME Standard 2002 ver. 8.1. But this keeps assuming a Japanese input computer. The hard drive was recently reformated and I'm trying desperately to get back some semblance of my original life. 😌

Hi,...I would like to see and write Japanese too...for example I can't see Japanese text in files titles and so on. I have Windows XP but I can't find the installation CD to do it...is there any other way how to get Japanese to my computer?

This is such a helpful thread. F7, typing small characters, Alt+~, and Japanese unicode fonts. :)

To Shizuka142, you could try searching on microsoft's website for "japanese IME" (without quotes), it seems they may have some downloadable solutions.

thank you Angel...I have quite old PC so it probably doesn't know what the hell I want from it :D

Ok...I've installed and switched to japanese...it writes in katakana...and...when I type a key it makes a katakana sign but I'd like to write it as romanji if you know what I mean... when I write for example ka I want there a sign for ka...but it doesn't work...please help me...I'm totally lost in it -.-

Last edited:
thanks for sharing , I just began learning Japanese . 窶愿ッ窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋ゥナ?y窶堋オ窶堋「
Helen

In general, how would one know where to 'pause' or in this case leave a space between words in a Japanese sentence? From what I've read in most texts, noun+particle (space).....but then again, I saw others were there wasn't a single space in the entire sentence. Is there a way to tell?

In general, how would one know where to 'pause' or in this case leave a space between words in a Japanese sentence? From what I've read in most texts, noun+particle (space).....but then again, I saw others were there wasn't a single space in the entire sentence. Is there a way to tell?
Basically, there's no space anywhere when written exclusively in Japanese. If you see space, it probably is a language textbook, where spaces are created to give the student a better idea of the sentence structure.

The only tools in Japanese that provide clues to clarity in sentence comprehension are punctuation marks ツ(ツ、ツ。ツ「ツ」 etc.)

Just go to Control Panel, click Regional and Language Options. Click the Languages tab and click the button at the bottom reads: "Install files for East Asian languages, you need the installation CD of Windows XP, because it is a fairly large amount of files. After that, it may be necessary to restart

BTW, if you're ready to pay for an IME, definitely check out ATOK. It's what many Japanese use at work and even at home and it's incomparable to both MS IME and Google IME.

I'm having trouble typing the character "ツ鞘?ー" for some reason. I just want to be able to type "hajimemashite" I keep typing "haji" then pressing space for the conversion into kanji, but all I get is the kanji:ツ「窶冪ツ」 Which, of course, is not the meaning I'm going for. heh
Is there a particular way to type hajimemashite in Romaji so that it converts properly to:ツ「ツ鞘?ー窶堙溪?堙懌?堋オ窶堙?」?

I'm having trouble typing the character "初" for some reason. I just want to be able to type "hajimemashite" I keep typing "haji" then pressing space for the conversion into kanji, but all I get is the kanji:「恥」 Which, of course, is not the meaning I'm going for. heh
Is there a particular way to type hajimemashite in Romaji so that it converts properly to:「初めまして」?

In the case of 初, this kanji likely never appears as "haji" except for within the word 初めまして. Thus when you try to convert "haji" by itself, the IME attempts to find kanji which are read "haji" by themselves. The best ways to get this kanji to appear are to:

1. Type out "hajimemashite" completely before converting.
2. Type one of 初's other readings such as "hatsu" or "sho"

Generally speaking, make sure to type out complete words and phrases before trying to convert them to kanji (point 1 above). Try typing individual readings (point 2 above) only when the full phrase is being difficult to convert or if you only need the one kanji itself.

Thus when I'm typing out my Japanese name, it's easy enough to type "kurokawa" to get 黒川, but for 神恵, read "kankei" (before I figured out how to add custom words to the IME dictionary), I had to type "kami" to get 神, and then "megumi" to get 恵み and then remove the み.

Thank you so much! "Hatsu" seemed to serve the purpose just fine, I'll make sure to look at the multiple readings of the Kanji from now on.

You might wish to give the Google Japanese IME a try, if you haven't already. I find it much better than the Windows IME.

Hi, how do you type the dot and line to indicate a long i sound? Like in ice cream icecream.gif
Aisukuriimu desu. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom