What's new

How to enter ヶ and 々 and so on on a Google Japanese keyboard?

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
I would like to know the ways to enter ヶ and 々, ゞ , ○ , × on a Google Japanese keyboard installed on an iPhone and Windows PC.

The way I have just done was using copy and paste. I am sure there must be some easy original ways to do it.

ヶ : input "x ke" (if you input x the following kana will be of a tiny variety, so it's not only for ヶ)
々: input "onaji"
○: "maru"
×: "batsu"
ヾ: i didn't know the specific input for it, so the way i typed it now was "kigou" and then scroll until you find the one you need.

So basically you either know the correct input for a symbol like "hoshi" (☆) "onpu" (♪), or just inpu "kigou" and look for the one you need.

What worked for me on W10 and iPhone (iOS) was:

"lke" for ヶ

"おなじ" which opens a drop-down selection for 々 ゞ ゝ ヽ ヾ and other characters.

"丸" will open a selection for symbols such as ○ ◎ ● ○

I am sure there are better other ways of typing these characters, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can be of help.

Edit: ninja'ed! :)

Thanks guys!

I didn't know the ヶ in 「一ヶ月」is a small katakana け while it is pronounced or written as か.

I have tested and found the methods suggested above work on my Phone but not on Windows desktop. No symbol comes up on PC at all.

ヶ and ヵ are interchangeable as long as it is not a proper noun like 関ヶ原
If you intend to use Japanese input on a regular basis i suggest you install Microsoft IME on your PC it has many advantages over Google input

I shall try the Microsoft IME. I had thought the Google IME could be better.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the Microsoft one will have all those symbols?

I didn't know the ヶ in 「一ヶ月」is a small katakana け while it is pronounced or written as か.

The similarity with katakana ケ is coincidental. The small ヶ symbol, which, technically, is not a kanji, (probably) originated as a graphical abbreviation of the kanji 箇 (one of the two upper pieces). When the symbol is used in place of 箇 as a counter word, it is read as 「カ」. When appearing in a possessive role in place names, though, such as 袖ヶ浦, it is read as 「ガ」.

Last edited:
I have got rid of the Google IME and installed the Microsoft IME on my desktop.

However I can't work it properly. For example I enter にほんご I hit the space bar out it comes 日本語. I then hit the down arrow no candidate window comes up. That is the selection window that doesn't come up. I'm still learning to use this IME trying to get the symbols.

By the way there doesn't seem to be any other choice but the Google IME on the iPhone. Am I wrong?

ヶ and ヵ are interchangeable as long as it is not a proper noun like 関ヶ原

I don't know if it is alright to go off the topic. Isn't 関ヶ原 is a name of place and so is a proper noun according to how English grammar classifies it?
I'm not quite sure if ヶ and ヵ are really interchangeable in this sense unless 関ヶ原 can be alternatively written as 関ヵ原.

I'm not quite sure if ヶ and ヵ are really interchangeable in this sense unless 関ヶ原 can be alternatively written as 関ヵ原.

@Lomaster wrote "as long as it is NOT a proper noun", meaning that proper nouns usually have one, fixed, standard way of being written.

Incidentally, the modern place name 関ケ原 is usually written with the large ケ, not the small ヶ, but the name when referring to the historical battle is usually written with the small symbol: 関ヶ原. People are not as pedantic about orthography in Japan, though, as in the west, so you are likely to see variations here and there.

Are you saying the ヶ read as 「ガ」here means "'s" in this context? So 袖ヶ浦 means 袖の浦?

Bascially, yes. Incidentally, the modern Japanese possessive の was previously expressed as が in older forms of the Japanese language.

However I can't work it properly. For example I enter にほんご I hit the space bar out it comes 日本語. I then hit the down arrow no candidate window comes up. That is the selection window that doesn't come up

Don't hit the down arrow. Hit the space bar again.

If I can say something, I don't understand why Lomaster thinks Microsoft's IME is a must. I've never had any problem with any IME I've used, and I can guarantee that I haven't used Microsoft's IME in... almost a decade, probably, because I'm exclusively a Linux user and typically use Anthy. I was probably using Mozc at one point as well, though (Mozc is an open source variant of the Google IME), since it's another popular one for Linux.

Every single entry method mentioned in this thread, by the way, works in my usual IME of choice, Anthy (and for the record, I only have an IME of choice because Debian doesn't have one installed by default; I have to install the ibus-anthy or ibus-mozc package, and ibus-anthy is just what I've always picked). I don't think Mozc fares any worse and I don't see any reason to think the Google IME would, either.

Thanks Julie.chan for the info,

Though I also have a Linux system. I only have it as a backup computer. It is on an old XP computer.
At the moment I am using a Windows 7 computer though I used to have a Windows 10 system.

I just want an IME that can do everything necessary for writing in Japanese.

By the way, I can't find any symbols with the Google IME. Perhaps I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom