What's new

How many of us have been to/lived in Japan?

Have you ever been to Japan?

• Yes, I have been to, or currently reside in Japan.

Votes: 54 79.4%
  • No, I have never been to Japan.

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters
Even people who have lived in Japan are affected by the culture at different levels, so I wouldn't say that everyone is a reliable source. Some people make no effort to get out of their foriegn circle of life.

I find that the insight of people who stayed in Japan is more dependent on how they lived there than how long. Some stay in the country for long periods, but primarily stick to other "gaijin", and they tend to maintain many of the usual stereotypes, because they are "outside looking in".

Those of us who live "inside" the culture, speaking the language and interacting with japanese friends or collegues, or like myself: married with a japanese, tend to have quite different perspective on things.

I wish to visit Japan. But not have any chance to visit.. Anyway I'm from asia side.. My Country is Pakistan. Its a Islamic state.. The peoples are loving and good friends of japan.

I've been to Japan at least 11 times, never for any great length of time (9 days at the most). I look at it as there being 2 versions of Japan as far as experience; basically the foreign version (in my case American), and the Japanese version. Unfortunately, mainly because I don't speak the language, I fall into the American version. To give an example, take any American movie where the characters for one reason or another go to Japan. It's still an American movie from the perception of an American irregardless of the sights and sounds projected. Take a Japanese movie or TV show, that may even have scenes from the same location, and there's a completely different atmosphere. The language, music, etc. Everything else can be exactly the same (seeing same buildings in Tokyo, or seeing Mt. Fuji), but due to which country is producing the program will make a difference in the overall atmosphere.

I've been to Japan at least 11 times, never for any great length of time (9 days at the most). I look at it as there being 2 versions of Japan as far as experience; basically the foreign version (in my case American), and the Japanese version. Unfortunately, mainly because I don't speak the language, I fall into the American version. To give an example, take any American movie where the characters for one reason or another go to Japan. It's still an American movie from the perception of an American irregardless of the sights and sounds projected. Take a Japanese movie or TV show, that may even have scenes from the same location, and there's a completely different atmosphere. The language, music, etc. Everything else can be exactly the same (seeing same buildings in Tokyo, or seeing Mt. Fuji), but due to which country is producing the program will make a difference in the overall atmosphere.

A very interesting point there Bertie. I think when my parents visited Japan it was all the more amazing for them because I lived there, had many Japanese friends and extra insight, and so they had a much more 'Japanese' experience and saw the little townlife where I lived, the real Japanese homelife of my friends, as well as Fuji san, Hakone and all the other places.

How's Jeeves btw? Hehe 🙂

Been there, and at the risk of certain people pissing on me, I hope to live there. I have a job interview at the end of next month with Konami, so I'm hoping that goes well.

I have a job interview at the end of next month with Konami, so I'm hoping that goes well.

Way to go! 👍
Just be prepared and show keen interest in the post and the company and I'm sure you'll own them! :)

Is it for a post in Japan or in the States?

Well I have never been there. I do plan to go in the future, but I guess that explains why I don't post to often. Can't yet relate to most topics. :\

I am somewhat unique.

I grew up in Japan, outside Tokyo, many, many years ago.
I think that the influence I got from the local people is very much a part of my personality .. still today

I've been to Japan 2 times and will go again next year in February. (every time for 2 weeks, it's either a problem of money or vacation)
The first time was last year for a language course, which was not as helpful as the family I stayed with. Before I went there I collected various information in this forum and I like to live with expectations for the worst but hoping for the best. So I was kinda anxious what might happen, but it was awesome. I still get along with that family and will stay with them again next year. I always call my former host mother my "Japanese mother".
Second time was this summer for vacation with my friends and again I met awesome people and also met the ones I already knew from my last time.
I think if it wasn't for those awesome, caring and helpful people I wouldn't have had such a great time. Though, since I never experienced anything really bad it keeps your expectations pretty high. I hope I'll be able to stay in Japan for a longer period, so I can get more insight~

I look at it as there being 2 versions of Japan as far as experience; basically the foreign version (in my case American), and the Japanese version. Unfortunately, mainly because I don't speak the language, I fall into the American version

I guess it's good to experience both, then you can decide which you like better.

Back
Top Bottom