What's new

How do Korean and Chinese immigrants in Western countries view Japan?

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
4 Feb 2005
I have seen a few threads on this forum about how the Koreans and Chinese seem to be very anti-Japanese. Does this also apply to Koreans and Chinese that do not live in Korea and China? How do second, third or fourth generation Koreans and Chinese living in the UK, or the States, other countries think about Japan?

Last edited by a moderator:
for me personally...I dun hate the Japanese...My parents also dun hate them, My Granpa do....it's their anchestor who did the bad things...no guild should be put on current Japanese.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
窶氾?铠赞 said:
for me personally...I dun hate the Jap...My parents also dun hate them, My Granpa do....it's their anchestor who did the bad things...no guild should be put on current Japanese.... :)

Hey big boy! Personally I do not hate Japan civilians either.

But I do hate some bad guys there who call the shots. What you may not know is that the militarism of that country is now gathering its strength in a very dangerous way while they have never apologized sincerely, or even just admitted, the inhuman crimes they committed to China in WW2. The crimes were committed some 60 years ago but still not a very long-ago history. It is their attitude toward such not-long-ago crimes that tensioned our nerves. We do not hate them for historical crimes actually, but we do hate them for the bigger and bigger possiblilty that they are on the very track leading to repeating history someday.

The worse thing is that they are whitewashing the inhuman crimes to the young generation by government controled education. They teach their kids in some way like this:"China is a lower nationality, and we never did inhuman crimes to them but regular war. Don't know why these barbarians roaring about us all day long..." So naturally, most young Japanese feel astonished, then maybe offended, when they begin to know that most Chinese "hate Japan". Japan's government is glad to see this kind of misunderstandings spread, for in that way, they may get more supports in raising militarism to balance the "China's threats" that they deliberately brewed.

That reminds me what Nixon said, when he resigned from office after the Watergate Scandal: "Others may hate you, but those who hate you won't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself." So we Chinese should keep a peaceful mind all the time, pretend that the scars on our hearts are not bleeding at all. But unfortunately, we are not built in such a complicated way maybe, we are eager and straight forward to express our feelings. So the misunderstandings are inevitably intensifying, maybe till another war.

Almighty God please bless your poor peoples to understand each other more. We are on the same Earth, under the same Sun. We are not 2 but 1.
--------
Whoops maybe I went too far from the topic... errr OK stop dumping my feelings here. Any Chinese guys abroad wanna say something?

Last edited:
I'm 2nd generation Chinese abroad (not UK though). I don't hold any hate or grudge against the Japanese in general. In fact, I'm friends with a couple of Japanese I've met over here

However, it would be naive and dishonest of me to say I don't hate them all since there is a small bunch of ultranationalist revisionists who don't want to admit the country's past crimes and who are trying very hard to rewrite history. There are also the pips at Yasukuni who secretly enshrined Tojo there and who describe WW2 as if Japan was the saviour of Asia but then got injustly punished by the whites

These morons happen to be Japanese but their nationality is not what makes me angry at them. It's their mentality and what they are trying to promote. Actually, I also hate Chinese or any ultranationalists/fascists who are just chauvinistic, retarded and warmongerers

I've never been to Japan but how I view it? Technologically advanced. Electronics and car industry are superb. The train system is also famous worldwide for punctuality. Great traditions and culture. Japan imported many concepts, etc from China long time in the past and which have been forgotten on the mainland. Most have become unique to Japan. Not to forget the interesting language. Eh, and some of the girls are stunning too

There's also the ugly side I've heard about. Like the uyoku (spelling?), perverts, impossibly long working hours, unhealthy admiration for the West (esp USA)

PS: I've never heard my parents speak badly of the Japanese or Japan. Neither does my grandmother. I don't know for my other grandparents though. All of them are Chinese too

I'm second-generation Chinese in Canada. Most of them don't know much about Japan at all. They only know Sushi, RPG, Anime.

As for me, I hate the Uyoku and anything to do with Imperial Japan and the fact tht their education ministry is so retarded. But I dont hate Japanese civilians.

I hate the Uyoku and anything to do with Imperial Japan and the fact tht their education ministry is so retarded. But I dont hate Japanese civilians
How is education ministry wrong?
I think this part is very important.
that is why the japanese dont understand that.

well...my parents do, i don't really HATE hate them...i just wished they were more sincere about their appologies.....i mean..going and worshiping at that alter after an appology? that's just....tsk..
plus, my mother's aunt and her family was slaughtered by the Japanese and their bodies dumped in the river....i was told...hm...so..that kindda hits it closer to home.......>___<;;;

ah...my bad...i meant to say *shrine* not alter....O.<

Last edited:
Why do I hate Japan?

There are fascists and racists everywhere, not only in Japan. I even do not hate fascists or racists if they do not pose a danger to me. In a democratic country everyone has the right to say what they want to say, don't they? However speakers have to take the consequences of their speeches into consideration. You may or may not have the right to deny Rape of Nanking, or Holocaust, but for me it is a shame to deny something really happened.

In my opinion Japan has apologized to its neighbors, although whether the apologies were sincere remains a question. However, it is neither possible nor rational to control the minds of Japanese people. The Chinese and Koreans have the right to refuse such apologies. But Japanese also have the right to be not sincere. Nobody is wrong being hostile to each other. However, everyone can earn more money and feel more comfortable being friendly to each other.

Some Japanese think they are superior to Chinese and Koreans. Well, it's their freedom to think so. (In 2ch their are some such things) Do you know the so-called white nationalists? They are the same. They do not break any law by spreading racist messages online anonymously, but they can do better by being polite to everyone. For me, I just close my firefox and close my PC when seeing this. I am not hurt. Being here in NTU, I do not have to go to Japan to study in so-called "Japanese MIT" Tokyo Tech. to earn a good engineering degree. Why do I care about what the rich, prosperous and intelligent Japanese revisionists think?

There are also many Chinese and Korean netizens who hate Japanese to death in every character they type, despite their very poor knowledge about the Japanese society. Well, that's their lifestyle. I'm a Chinese, and I know there are quite a lot Chinese netizens who spend their precious time to express their hate of Japan again and again. They have the right to do so, by the way. But it is just non-sense to me. It's also non-sense of few Japanese netizens to dream about Japanese conquering the world before 2015. Hey guys, are you crazy?

But for China, the case is a little bit different. Living standard of Chinese, measured by Human Development Index (HDI) ranks only 81st in the world nations. China has little democracy, and the environment in some cities is really bad. They are simply not afford of being so proud, even they are the grand grand sons of dragons. (But I'm not saying they're wrong!)

This conflict is very interesting. Economically nobody should behave like this. The show must not go on, guys, although you're proud Chinese, proud Koreans and proud Japanese. The three cultures have been close friends to each other since the very begining of their histories until only about 170 years ago, it is likely that this dispute is only a stupid breeze in history. Anyhow, we are all East Asians and are so much culturally linked.

Time for changes

The war between China and Japan and especially the war atrocities done since 1937 in Nanjing and other regions caused indeed a deep wound as the two nukes did in Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the USA.
The victims who survived in Japan are shocked by the nuclear strike while the victims who survived in China are still very angry at Japan.
But we need to keep things clear and no longer produce more prejudice which causes more disputes.
The Japanese government must stop the re-writing of history textbooks which has totally changed the facts and skips all war crimes done by the Japanese Imperial Army. They don't need to talk about every cruel detail but at least the schoolkids shoud know generally what did happen.

On the other side, Chinese people and history textbooks writers should also differ between those soldiers who were responsible for the war crimes, and the regular Japanese citizens who did not know about what really happened in China. There were also some Japanese soldiers who secretly saved Chinese civilians, putting themselves in danger.
We all must stop spreading prejudices for the sake of a peaceful living of us humans. Hatred and revenge is never a good solution, nor are propaganda and other lies contributing anything good.

Ex-Envoy Warns of Chinese Spies
"It infiltrates the Chinese community and also puts pressure on groups that it considers the enemy, like Falun Gong, democracy activists and others."
That explains the hate-Japan street demo at downtown Toronto just like New York City, back when mainland fenqing youths were vandalizing Japanese embassy/consulate in Beijing and Shanghai in spring 2005.

They must be wispering stories to overseas ethnic Chinese, naテッve young generations in particular, during the period when the very core of individual/ethnic identity can be quite cult-minded.

First of all, let me make it clear that I am NOT a 2nd generation Chinese living in a Western country. I am an immigrant in US. I moved here about 15 years ago. But I grew up in HK when it's still a British colony, which was under quite a bit of Western influence back then.

Anyway, I don't hate the Japanese in general. For one, none of my grandparents suffer greatly from the Japanese (comparing to the Mainland China, HK was relatively calm even after the Japanese army took over HK) and they simply didn't have such intense hate towards the Japanese. Besides, I judge a person as an individual, not as a stereotyped puppet.

That said, I don't like Japanese who denies any wrongdoing during the WWII. There are strong evidence that they did a horrible crime back then. It's not a bias towards the Japanese, though. I wouldn't like a Chinese who dares to say that the June 4th massacre didn't happen neither.

Generally speaking, I think the Japanese government is the one to blame. Unlike the German, they seem to try very hard to hide what they have done. Unfortunately, this seem to be true for many far eastern countries. As a Chinese, I have a very uncomfortable feeling that this might have to do with our culture influencing the neighboring countries in a bad way :-(

As a Chinese, I have a very uncomfortable feeling that this might have to do with our culture influencing the neighboring countries in a bad way :-(

This is what I don't understand. For me, you are (Chinese) American. Why don't you say "As an American"?

Real Life Documentary on 4 years of life in Japan for 2 Chinese Students. 1 is Jibin Wong, a 19 year old woman and the other So Kan a 26 year old rich man whose father is a governor and mother a mayor. After spending his life savings in about a month, Kan quickly realizes that in Japan he is among the poorest. Wong too must work long hours to support herself. Documents the true story of Chinese Students working hard amid poverty. Their stories are totally different than Foreign Students from other nations with stronger currencies - these 2 arrive in Japan nearly penniless.

To decide a more difficult thing will look for real life..
I think this might be different from in western countries?
it was sure they made a self-confidence in the future.

Foreign Chinese Student in Japan
http://oniazuma.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/ousan1/

To innerfire

You wrote:
That reminds me what Nixon said, when he resigned from office after the Watergate Scandal: "Others may hate you, but those who hate you won't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Bravo innerfire,

Stand far above all hatred feelings and you are a WINNER forever!

not hate japanese...
but sure hate the militarism within the country, and,
the fail to apologize of what their forefather did. In fact, they are still introducing decepted fact about the invasion in their formal education system, that's the fact that i really hate
apart from this, they are just fine

yet message like this still appear on the net youtube.com/watch?v=PQoKEXcc0wM
what would you think if nazi songs are to appear on youtube?
I believe most chinese would feel much the same

Back
Top Bottom