What's new

Folks Do Make Mistakes, BUT ...

TGI-ECT

先輩
6 Jan 2007
Oh, so the mixing of straight and curly brackets was intentional, then?

We'll leave you alone then. Clearly, you know what you are doing.

So, joadbres, I pull out my magnifying piece and I see that there are. some of the wrong brackets and so for that I am very thankful that you persisted and caused me to check more closely.

But I am wondering where I went wrong in that post I did? I mean, so wrong with the language and style that I used that it was necessary for a response being placed before me that seems rather strange. It almost seems from what you wrote, joadbres, that you were using a sarcastic style; but then I am probably missing there, too. Just like not actually seeing the wrong brackets.

I normally have very good eyesight and on this site I can't even be sure of the difference between a period punctuation mark and a comma, and the brackets sure do not look different without the use of the magnifying glass. If you want me to do a screen grab to illustrate what I am attempting to place as an explanation for part of my earlier mistake, please ask me, and I will.

BUT I am still wondering where in my post you felt I was being so impolite, or something else, that the style you used was necessary?

I really have been using BB Code for I don't know how many years, but does it seem impolite to you, joadbres, for me to be illustrating to you my experience working with forum software? If it is impolite for me to do that, then please instruct me as to how that seems impolite to you and I will be sure to give your explanation full consideration. And, thank you.

I really am at more than a bit of a loss.

And now I can have a thread to do some tests, because other points I made in that other post still could do with some explanation:

Testing for italic. Now when using the button above: Testing for italic. The button up there does not work.

No problem, as long as I am more careful not to hit that 'Shift' key by accident and do the following, {].

And I really do appreciate that you pointed out what I had done wrong, even if it took two posts for you to get your point of view across, joadbres, but why I get the sense of some sort of impoliteness being aimed back at me is a matter for me to think about.

And for anyone who might have an answer as to why I am not getting a proper response on the forum when highlighting text, as in hitting the 'Back Space' key after highlighting a block of text and it not. going away, I'd appreciate some help. I am assuming the reason the buttons up above aren't working is also related to a problem with highlighting. Meaning the forum software doesn't know I am trying to highlight text.

Again, would appreciate the help on that.

Goodness me, I see now that I was in error --- I was actually responding to OoTmaster. So an apology is due to you, OoTmaster, for my thinking I had not used the wrong brackets.

As I outlined in my post above, I cannot actually see what shape the bracket is without using a mag glass. And I simply assumed I had not been careless with the 'Shift' key --- which, in fact, I had.

But my query to you, joadbres, stands; so I can learn from my language usage mistakes.

Since you asked...

You solicited help for your problem, and when @OoTmaster was kind enough to provide what is almost certainly the correct answer to your problem, you quickly dismissed it, insisting he must be mistaken, while boasting of your own skills.

I have no tolerance for hubris.

Thank you for your post. I'm afraid I really can't offer anything further here in this post, as I already apologized and explained matters in my post above. But I am sure that you will not wish for me to participate in any further discussions with yourself on this platform. I will be very careful on that point.

In fact, I suppose it would be best for me to simply stay away. This actually feels like that earthquake last night. I wonder what the Greek writers would have as thoughts on that.

"Hubris" is an interesting choice of vocabulary. And from my writing so few words. This new Net World is so very strange. We could use some Greek Gods around here.

But I am sure that you will not wish for me to participate in any further discussions with yourself on this platform. I will be very careful on that point.

In fact, I suppose it would be best for me to simply stay away.

That's not the case at all. I've said my piece, and as far as I am concerned this episode is over, and ready to be put in the past.

If, with the exception of this most recent transaction, you find fulfillment in participating in this forum, then you should continue to participate.

This new Net World is so very strange.

Sorry to say, but it is not new at all. There are now fully grown adults who have not lived in a world without web forums.

I don't want to chime in on something that seems of a more personal nature, but allow me to point out that whenever any technical issues arise please do contact me either directly via Private Conversation (PC) or post your questions to our Support forum. I always try to reply as soon as real life permits. That said, I feel that this discussion might have also been better suited for a PC.

Anyhow, @TGI-ECT , I hope that a few curly brackets and a little tremor won't keep you from participating. :)

I personally took no offense in the response. It's easy in any code to make mistakes that even veterans have trouble spotting. The only reason I noticed the issue and that I copied it locally and used a different font since the brackets looks slightly different to me on the forum. I work as a system administrator, I'm used to being told I'm wrong on any number of issues.

Back
Top Bottom