What's new

def in Japan: a comic diary

Silly question, but do you sketch them on-site or do you take pictures?
Not silly at all! I don't use photos, generally. These are me taking a walk, seeing something I like, and plopping down on a curb or step for 30 minutes. A drawing of a photo usually comes out looking a bit sterile to me.

I wishI could have done more this summer, but it's really been lousy windy verging on rain for much of the summer.

@johnnyG, hard to get good effect from that. Compare the middle pic to this:

Yeah, pretty different. Street view does put restrictions on--little spurts of movement that are impossible to adjust, and it's always from the road, obviously. (not from farther across the street, or closer OTOH).

Hi @nahadef , I have been away from this forum for a few years, and see that you are still making great images and comics. Are you making a living in Japan, drawing things or making artwork?

Thanks, but no, it's just something I enjoy. It takes a lot of time and effort to turn a hobby into a job. But my current employment leaves me lots of free time to entertain myself.

Doing the popular Inktober challenge this year. Tried a few days with brush only, tried out my nib yesterday.

829A0076-DF69-417E-A578-75C05328941F.jpeg

8773AFD4-0136-446C-9BBF-ADC1CDC83BB8.jpeg

AFCE1560-17D7-4026-9CEF-14461B0D91F0.jpeg

623E0265-B2F2-4C61-A14E-741F69625015.png

Nice work as always. Do you have a left hand drive vehicle in Hokkaido or are you just taking artistic license?

Artistic license, though it's definitely Hokkaido inspired. I'm still filtering a lot of Canada into my work

Start with onsen, next go for a walk and leave your cellphone at home. Then start turning it off at home and increase the intervals. It's soothing.

Love your story.

I've been making a point of drawing daily for the past four months, and it has a really positive effect. The layouts become clearer, and the lines become tighter. For October, all over the world there is a daily draw challenge called Inktober. The Inktober list is fine, but I've never found it very fun. But there are a ton of homemade lists out there. I decided to try Jacktober, a month tribute to Jack King Kirby, America's greatest comic artist, or "America's Tezuka", as I use to explain him to people in Japan. He created the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, and a thousand other characters that will eventually get made into movies. He's one of the most influential guys on American culture ever, and it's a crime he's not a household name there.

Anyway, it's been a pleasure studying his work, and these are my favorites from the first third of the month

The Forever People
Jacktober2021-2.jpg

Doctor Doom
Jacktober2021-3.jpg

Sersi of the Eternals
Jacktober2021-4.PNG

Nick Fury, agent of SHIELD
Jacktober2021-5.PNG

Supertown
Jacktober2021-6.jpg

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Jacktober2021-7-2.PNG

Devil Dinosaur and Moon-Boy
Jacktober2021-8.PNG

The Fantastic Four
Jacktober2021-10.PNG

Brilliant work; thank you for sharing! This brings back childhood memories. And I can recognise your style whatever subject matter you draw.

Back
Top Bottom