What's new

Could someone help me with a translation, please? ( English->Japanese )

I'm pretty sure that what he was doing was not quoting you or anybody else, but taking your words from earlier in this same thread and restating them in an exaggerated way in order to ridicule what he thought was petty behavior on your part.

And just to be clear, I'm not taking sides on this one.

"The only thing more bloated than a foreigner's self-assessment of their Japanese ability is their friends' assessment of their Japanese ability."

..and the overall pompous arrogance that shines through your every word. I think the quote you say is not from you is probably the one I just made up to use what I felt like the lines above in the actual quote imply.

Maybe it's just me reading too much negativity into everything, maybe not. I don't feel like either of us needs any of this discussion ( this part of the thread , I don't mean the whole thing ) in our lives, which is why I stopped responding to you.

the overall pompous arrogance that shines through your every word.

That is your erroneous impression based on lack of experience.

It is a well-known phenomenon in Japan that many foreigners profess a higher degree of Japanese ability than they actually possess. Your friend herself said nothing in this thread and my remark was about the phenomenon, not her.

It is also a well-known phenomenon that people who have no knowledge of Japanese at all are likely to have very inflated opinions of the Japanese abilities of their friends, despite having no objective way of judging their friend's ability.

The entire meaning of my comment was "We have no way of knowing his friend's Japanese ability, nor does he. We can't assume his friend is "fluent" (a meaningless term) based on his opinion".

I think the quote you say is not from you is probably the one I just made up to use what I felt like the lines above in the actual quote imply.

Yeah, well you were wrong and putting words into other people's mouths and twisting their words is rude.

Back
Top Bottom