What's new

Comfort equals no style? What do you think?

Rosie

先輩
12 Jul 2003
Hi people! I was browsing the web just now, searching for a pair of comfy shoes. But the ones shown were either too ugly or too granny, which got me to think if comfort equals no style?:confused:

Well, I'm a man, and thus I never have to wear uncomfortable shoes. :) but I think that there is no general style in that matter, but it just depends on what fits you. some women look ridiculous with high-heels, and of others, you couldn't imagine them wearing any other shoes. *shrugs*

I'm just puzzled by the kind of shoes that are designed for comfort". I'm also puzzled by the word "comfort". You should really look at those "comfort" shoes, maji, really. They are so dull, and so granny-like. I can assure you my own mother won't wear them.

I mean, yeah, I sure want to dress like a lady. You know? Being feminine and sexy and all that stuff. But I risk twisting my ankles or even losing my balance and eventually breaking my back just to put on these "nice shoes". And so I ended up with track shoes, boots and mary janes. It's the same thing for clothes too. Arrrrrrrr..........so frustrating. So, what are you trying to say? You may want to explain the contents of your mail coz I'm kinda brain-dead today. It's not typical, I guarantee you.

Well, I must say that I sacrifice a lot of comfort to look nice when I'm not at home. My weakness is shoes. I have a lot of them and 98 percent of them are pointy toed, high heeled, and very uncomfortable, but they look damn good! :p

Of course, I do stay home, so I am not dressed in those all the time. When I'm home, I just go barefoot and wear whatever--and the majority of my time spent is at home.

I have to admit, though, that when I go out I am so uncomfortable, but I don't know...I just like to look nice. No matter how uncomfortable I am. I know that kind of thing shouldn't be important, but I'm just a hopeless addict... :eek: I do carry an extra pair of shoes along with me if it gets to intolerable.

I don't know if you'd consider these casual flats ugly or not, Rosie (or just a bit pricey I know), but I do like to look cute when I go out and they are extremely comfortable....

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyID=S10125&sourceid=qDQQP1KXeyb2AmOCvJX3

Those shoes look nice Elizabeth!

I'm in the same situation as you Rosie, looking for stylish comfortable shoes.
I have heaps of shoes (in NZ) - I LOVE shoe shopping!
In NZ, if I had to walk a lot, I'd wear some pantyhose and anyway it's cold in NZ. Here, it's too hot for clothes, let alone pantyhose - and my shoes really cut my feet long distance without any. (ouch)
So I went shoe shopping last week but couldn't find anything that was comfortable and looked good :(

I was distracted by the 500Y-1500Y sale though......wohoo!

I've always kinda thought of style as the combination of form and function. Clothes and shoes that are comfortable, can either have or lack style. But uncomfortable clothes are never stylish.

If the aesthetics of something hinders it purpose, then it loses all it's cool.
:snore:

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Well, I must say that I sacrifice a lot of comfort to look nice when I'm not at home. My weakness is shoes. I have a lot of them and 98 percent of them are pointy toed, high heeled, and very uncomfortable, but they look damn good! :p

Of course, I do stay home, so I am not dressed in those all the time. When I'm home, I just go barefoot and wear whatever--and the majority of my time spent is at home.

I have to admit, though, that when I go out I am so uncomfortable, but I don't know...I just like to look nice. No matter how uncomfortable I am. I know that kind of thing shouldn't be important, but I'm just a hopeless addict... :eek: I do carry an extra pair of shoes along with me if it gets to intolerable.

That's very clever of you! 👏

Originally posted by Elizabeth
I don't know if you'd consider these casual flats ugly or not, Rosie (or just a bit pricey I know), but I do like to look cute when I go out and they are extremely comfortable....

I have shoes just like that. At my age, I still look good on them. But what about the long term? Dr Martens' boots and mary janes? I don't think so.

Originally posted by Kakesu
I've always kinda thought of style as the combination of form and function. Clothes and shoes that are comfortable, can either have or lack style. But uncomfortable clothes are never stylish.

If the aesthetics of something hinders it purpose, then it loses all it's cool.
:snore:

Can I call you GURU Kakesu? Yeah, I agree with you totally. Still, I find it hard to balance comfort and style. :eek:

Originally posted by nzueda
Those shoes look nice Elizabeth!

I'm in the same situation as you Rosie, looking for stylish comfortable shoes.
I have heaps of shoes (in NZ) - I LOVE shoe shopping!
In NZ, if I had to walk a lot, I'd wear some pantyhose and anyway it's cold in NZ. Here, it's too hot for clothes, let alone pantyhose - and my shoes really cut my feet long distance without any. (ouch)
So I went shoe shopping last week but couldn't find anything that was comfortable and looked good :(

I was distracted by the 500Y-1500Y sale though......wohoo!

OMYGOD! We're in the same boat. Think I can look you up when I go to Japan? We can go shoe shopping together.

Originally posted by Rosie
OMYGOD! We're in the same boat. Think I can look you up when I go to Japan? We can go shoe shopping together.

Definately🙂 I love visitors and I love shopping!
When shall I expect you? hehe...

I have shoes just like that. At my age, I still look good on them. But what about the long term? Dr Martens' boots and mary janes? I don't think so.
Don't all Mary Janes have something of a heel? These are solely flat and much nicer looking if I need defend myself. ;)

Originally posted by nzueda
Definately🙂 I love visitors and I love shopping!
When shall I expect you? hehe...

Next January? I plan to move to a warmer climate this winter; I'm going home (to Singapore) for a month. I shall drop by Japan for a day or two just before I return to the U.S. I usually stay at the Narita hotel near the airport. :)

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Don't all Mary Janes have something of a heel? These are solely flat and much nicer looking if I need defend myself. ;)

Er..I don't think I wanna wear mary janes when I'm forty; it's too girlish. Don't you think?

Next January? I plan to move to a warmer climate this winter; I'm going home (to Singapore) for a month. I shall drop by Japan for a day or two just before I return to the U.S. I usually stay at the Narita hotel near the airport. :)

Narita... that's a shame... I live waaay down in the bottom of Kyushu.
Hope you have fun! ;)

Hmmm.. Style or comfort. That's a tough one. There are times when style is a must but in the end you can't beat comfort.
When I'm at home or in town I wear canvis walking boots, they go well with blue jeans. When I'm at work it's navy pointed shoes with a pair of old trainers tucked in my bag for later.

So, it's either comfort or style? There's no compromise between the two of them?:eek:

Back
Top Bottom