What's new

Boy x boy - why is it sexy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I skipped over it because that wasn't the point. Also even if it's true that you have no sensitivity to words that's also besides the point.
Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean you can just ignore the feelings of others.
You're a better, calmer person than I, @mdchachi

Oh boy, I didn't think I would stay up late to reply to an old yaoi thread...

@Levi Ackerman, Please consider the following:

While this is the internet, JREF is a community comprised of human beings. Think of it as practice for when you're interacting with people in real life, only you actually have an opportunity to think before you speak, and even iteratively edit your messages to ensure they aren't misunderstood. I often draft a message, let it sit for a while and revisit it before I hit "post reply." Sometimes, I'll even decide my best contribution to the discussion is my silence, and I'll delete the whole thing.

Before I go on, I must point out that you decided to post to a thread whose most recent reply is old enough to vote, about a topic you personally feel disgust for. And when another member politely asked you--not to not share your opinion--but to reconsider the way you phrase it, you puffed up, offered a sorry-if-you-took-it-that-way non-apology, and then told them "not to bother" you "with this crap again."

This is a bad look.

Consider that if you walk into a bar and loudly profess your opinion, there's a good chance that someone will disagree to some extent. The more loudly and rudely you state your "truth," the more umbrage people will take with your message and/or delivery. At some point, there's a good chance you'll end up on the curb. Now, imagine walking into a gay bar and stating your above opinion.

Perhaps you don't care if you offend some strangers in a bar, or on the internet... but would you say this to your friends? If not, how would you feel if they saw what you write online? What I'm getting at here isn't about your relationship with your friends or how well they would handle the way you express your opinions, but to have some empathy for the people on the receiving end of your words.

If you were to express your disapproval to your LGBT friends--people you respect--how would you do it?
Now, please assume that we are your friends--people you respect--and treat us accordingly.

If you think that masking your opinion of homosexuality is how you show respect, I think that shows that you understand that the way you express it is somehow not acceptable, or even that the opinion itself may be hurtful to others. The great thing about discussion boards is we CAN have conversations to help you examine this, in a safe environment that won't have immediate detriments for your relationships IRL, but again, this is still a community of human beings, and we should at least try to be respectful of each other.

If you personally feel disgust at the thought of homosexuality, I recommend you take a hard look at that reaction, and practice some introspection as to why you might feel that way. If your answer is "it just is," then you are not looking very hard. The world is filled with a whole spectrum of experience: people are born as we are, a blend of genes on the tip of a branch on a massive family tree, amongst a vast forest of family trees; we grow and develop into our unique selves in varying environments that encourage or discourage certain ways of being. This cocktail of nature and nurture develops us like a photograph, and as that picture of ourselves emerge, our sense of selves and the world around us begin to come into focus. We spend the first few decades learning who we are, and spend the rest of our lives learning how to deal with that discovery.

Lastly, we welcome opinions here, but do not confuse your opinion for truth. It is your truth, perhaps, in that you have such beliefs, but that does not make it objective fact. The whole reason you are being chided is because you used language that made it seem that you confused subjective for objective truth. For whatever reason, I can't stand the taste of liver, but some people love it, while others don't eat meat at all, and a subset of them think I am disgusting for eating animals, and would spit on me for my choice of diet. While I understand the rationale, it's not my place to pass judgment on the personal preferences, choices, and behaviors of others, and I tend to steer clear of those who vehemently do, for everyone's benefit.

In short:
We live in a society, learn how to read the air.
Try to communicate your opinion in a way that doesn't immediately draw ire from those around you.
If you can't do that, examine your opinions for reasons why that may be.
Learn how to apologize in a way that isn't dismissive.

real like its so ******* gross how does one get off on it 💀 💀
again no one asked its people decisions on what they want to do and if your not happy with it the respectfully leave and just ignore this like its not going kill you and its not gross its what they want its ok? and also I don't support but I still stick up for them because it their choice.

Last edited:
okay "sir". let me state my opinion in a more respectful way. I feel extremely bothered by boy x boy romances to the point to where I do not watch it no matter the reason.

Oh boy, I didn't think I would stay up late to reply to an old yaoi thread...

@Levi Ackerman, Please consider the following:

While this is the internet, JREF is a community comprised of human beings. Think of it as practice for when you're interacting with people in real life, only you actually have an opportunity to think before you speak, and even iteratively edit your messages to ensure they aren't misunderstood. I often draft a message, let it sit for a while and revisit it before I hit "post reply." Sometimes, I'll even decide my best contribution to the discussion is my silence, and I'll delete the whole thing.

Before I go on, I must point out that you decided to post to a thread whose most recent reply is old enough to vote, about a topic you personally feel disgust for. And when another member politely asked you--not to not share your opinion--but to reconsider the way you phrase it, you puffed up, offered a sorry-if-you-took-it-that-way non-apology, and then told them "not to bother" you "with this crap again."

This is a bad look.

Consider that if you walk into a bar and loudly profess your opinion, there's a good chance that someone will disagree to some extent. The more loudly and rudely you state your "truth," the more umbrage people will take with your message and/or delivery. At some point, there's a good chance you'll end up on the curb. Now, imagine walking into a gay bar and stating your above opinion.

Perhaps you don't care if you offend some strangers in a bar, or on the internet... but would you say this to your friends? If not, how would you feel if they saw what you write online? What I'm getting at here isn't about your relationship with your friends or how well they would handle the way you express your opinions, but to have some empathy for the people on the receiving end of your words.

If you were to express your disapproval to your LGBT friends--people you respect--how would you do it?
Now, please assume that we are your friends--people you respect--and treat us accordingly.

If you think that masking your opinion of homosexuality is how you show respect, I think that shows that you understand that the way you express it is somehow not acceptable, or even that the opinion itself may be hurtful to others. The great thing about discussion boards is we CAN have conversations to help you examine this, in a safe environment that won't have immediate detriments for your relationships IRL, but again, this is still a community of human beings, and we should at least try to be respectful of each other.

If you personally feel disgust at the thought of homosexuality, I recommend you take a hard look at that reaction, and practice some introspection as to why you might feel that way. If your answer is "it just is," then you are not looking very hard. The world is filled with a whole spectrum of experience: people are born as we are, a blend of genes on the tip of a branch on a massive family tree, amongst a vast forest of family trees; we grow and develop into our unique selves in varying environments that encourage or discourage certain ways of being. This cocktail of nature and nurture develops us like a photograph, and as that picture of ourselves emerge, our sense of selves and the world around us begin to come into focus. We spend the first few decades learning who we are, and spend the rest of our lives learning how to deal with that discovery.

Lastly, we welcome opinions here, but do not confuse your opinion for truth. It is your truth, perhaps, in that you have such beliefs, but that does not make it objective fact. The whole reason you are being chided is because you used language that made it seem that you confused subjective for objective truth. For whatever reason, I can't stand the taste of liver, but some people love it, while others don't eat meat at all, and a subset of them think I am disgusting for eating animals, and would spit on me for my choice of diet. While I understand the rationale, it's not my place to pass judgment on the personal preferences, choices, and behaviors of others, and I tend to steer clear of those who vehemently do, for everyone's benefit.

In short:
We live in a society, learn how to read the air.
Try to communicate your opinion in a way that doesn't immediately draw ire from those around you.
If you can't do that, examine your opinions for reasons why that may be.
Learn how to apologize in a way that isn't dismissive.
also, my disapproval for boy x boy is borderline religion. Christianity tells us that's a big no-no.

I skipped over it because that wasn't the point. Also even if it's true that you have no sensitivity to words that's also besides the point.
Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean you can just ignore the feelings of others.

Ok for this one I outsourced to AI.

Yes, saying "speaking as a straight boy, boy x boy is disgusting" is discriminatory and prejudiced against gay or bisexual individuals. Here's why:
This statement expresses a negative and derogatory view towards same-sex relationships between males, based solely on the speaker's heterosexual orientation. It implies that same-sex attraction is inherently "disgusting", which is an offensive prejudice against the LGBTQ community.
The statement perpetuates the marginalization and stigma that LGBTQ individuals face, contributing to an unwelcoming environment. It stems from heteronormative biases that view heterosexuality as the default or superior sexual orientation.
Such comments can be extremely hurtful to LGBTQ youth, who already face higher rates of discrimination, harassment, and mental health issues in schools and society. Bisexual people in particular may face discrimination from both straight and gay communities for not conforming to societal norms.

You just said you don't say anything to your friends about their orientation. Then why would you say something online?
actually i can ignore the feelings of others. idk if its my personality, but I don't care about peoples feelings UNLESS its someone I know. like my gf

again no one asked its people decisions on what they want to do and if your not happy with it the respectfully leave and just ignore this like its not going kill you and its not gross its what they want its ok? and also I don't support but I still stick up for them because it their choice.
then you support it if you stick up for them. even a first grader can figure out that much.

actually i can ignore the feelings of others. idk if its my personality, but I don't care about peoples feelings UNLESS its someone I know. like my gf
even if it is ur religion u should still respect them and not call them disgusting I don't think God would like u calling people disgusting isn't Christianity like about being kind and not judging people and also its not a persons fault if their gay so don't judge them an call them disgusting since ur reilgon is about not judging people ^^

even if it is ur religion u should still respect them and not call them disgusting I don't think God would like u calling people disgusting isn't Christianity like about being kind and not judging people and also its not a persons fault if their gay so don't judge them an call them disgusting since ur reilgon is about not judging people ^^
no, christianity VERY CLEARLY STATES IN THE BOOK OF LEVI that homosexuals are to be put to death. so in short, no.

Leviticus verse 20:13: If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Yes it may be there but still u shouldn't be calling them stuff like that if ur religion doesn't support it that's okay but it doesn't mean u should call them disgusting if your religion may not support that stuff but it doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful, mean, or judge that is also not supported in the Bible
Matthew 7 : "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Leviticus verse 20:13: If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Yes it may be there but still u shouldn't be calling them stuff like that if ur religion doesn't support it that's okay but it doesn't mean u should call them disgusting if your religion may not support that stuff but it doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful, mean, or judge that is also not supported in the Bible
Matthew 7 : "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
okay no.1, don't use gods words against him. THAT IS A LAW. also ur my best friend on this forum so sorry if I'm being kinda off to you I get really heated with religion stuff.

Dang… this forum got heated!

@Levi Ackerman, it's not necessary to shotgun your responses, you can quote and respond to multiple replies in a single post.

You seem to be using a mistranslation as the foundation for your rationale for homophobia.

The original Hebrew verse in Leviticus used different terms for "man" and "male," the latter of which referred not to an adult male, but to a young boy, suggesting that the verse is specifically admonishing pederasty:

Further analysis refines the prohibition specifically to incestuous same-sex rape:

Regardless, this is a good opportunity for your personal inflection. Whichever flavor of christianity you subscribe to, your religion has told you something that you have incorporated into your world view, and you are projecting that as if it were fact. While many translations of the bible do clearly state this in English, the common English translation has been stripped of nuance and context from the original text. And yet, many fundamentalist preachers and their flocks have used this faulty interpretation of this tiny sliver of their holy book as a fundamental pillar to support their judgment of homosexuality, and spend an inordinate amount of time hating consenting adults for what they do in their own bedrooms. It's a remarkably misguided waste of energy that's done immeasurable damage to everyone involved, in my opinion.

Besides, there are plenty of religions that don't care about sexuality. The pastor at my mother's church is a lesbian. I am Buddhist, and the bible has no relevance to my world view, except to provide insight to the beliefs of so-called Abrahamic religions. And it seems that I've spent more time and energy trying to understand it than you have, in this regard.

i don;t think ya'll know WHY my name is levi ackerman
Levi Ackerman appears to be a character from Attack on Titan, which I haven't watched. I don't watch yaoi at all either, and have no interest in it, but I know how not to be a dick about it. You replied to a dead thread about this topic to insult people who are into it. That is an unforced error.

Let's put this another way, since you are American and have proudly professed your freedom of speech (to a non-American member, no less). The Bill of Rights is not about what YOU as a citizen can do, it's about what the government CAN'T do to infringe upon those rights. While this forum is mostly public in a sense, it is also a private website and under the control of an individual owner and a team of volunteer admins and moderators. You may say whatever you want on your own discord server, but if you want to participate in this community--to come into our bar and chat up the locals--learn to behave yourself or you will be shown the door.

@Levi Ackerman, it's not necessary to shotgun your responses, you can quote and respond to multiple replies in a single post.

You seem to be using a mistranslation as the foundation for your rationale for homophobia.

The original Hebrew verse in Leviticus used different terms for "man" and "male," the latter of which referred not to an adult male, but to a young boy, suggesting that the verse is specifically admonishing pederasty:

Further analysis refines the prohibition specifically to incestuous same-sex rape:

Regardless, this is a good opportunity for your personal inflection. Whichever flavor of christianity you subscribe to, your religion has told you something that you have incorporated into your world view, and you are projecting that as if it were fact. While many translations of the bible do clearly state this in English, the common English translation has been stripped of nuance and context from the original text. And yet, many fundamentalist preachers and their flocks have used this faulty interpretation of this tiny sliver of their holy book as a fundamental pillar to support their judgment of homosexuality, and spend an inordinate amount of time hating consenting adults for what they do in their own bedrooms. It's a remarkably misguided waste of energy that's done immeasurable damage to everyone involved, in my opinion.

Besides, there are plenty of religions that don't care about sexuality. The pastor at my mother's church is a lesbian. I am Buddhist, and the bible has no relevance to my world view, except to provide insight to the beliefs of so-called Abrahamic religions. And it seems that I've spent more time and energy trying to understand it than you have, in this regard.

Levi Ackerman appears to be a character from Attack on Titan, which I haven't watched. I don't watch yaoi at all either, and have no interest in it, but I know how not to be a dick about it. You replied to a dead thread about this topic to insult people who are into it. That is an unforced error.

Let's put this another way, since you are American and have proudly professed your freedom of speech (to a non-American member, no less). The Bill of Rights is not about what YOU as a citizen can do, it's about what the government CAN'T do to infringe upon those rights. While this forum is mostly public in a sense, it is also a private website and under the control of an individual owner and a team of volunteer admins and moderators. You may say whatever you want on your own discord server, but if you want to participate in this community--to come into our bar and chat up the locals--learn to behave yourself or you will be shown the door.
you hatin' on my religion!? nah bruh i don't like that. Don't EVER SAY THAT CRAP AGAIN. My username is levi ackerman because my personality is the same as levis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom