What's new

Basic Japanese phrases?

Lopan999

Junior Master
15 Aug 2004
Does "Nani o shimasu ka?" mean "what do you want to do?"
If not, how would I ask that question?
AND...
If I had to use the bathroom would I then ask something like ",doko ga Toiretu desu ka?"

Hmmm, it is close. "Nani o shimasu ka" comes off to me as what are you going to do. However, I'm sure if you ask someone that and they are not doing anything it would be a polite way of asking if they would like to do something. I'm not advanced enough myself to know the direct translation of what do you want to do. I believe it is something like "Nani o shitai ka?" That is a guess though.

As for the bathroom, I'm fairly sure it is "Otearai ni doko desu ka?

Close. "Otearai wa doko desu ka?" You're right about the shitai, as far as I know. What are you going to do can also be said "dou suru" or "dou shimasu ka?"

Thanks much... I'm going to be talking to a japanese person in a few days and I'll use these phrases and hope you guys didn't screw me over.

Lopan999 said:
Thanks much... I'm going to be talking to a japanese person in a few days and I'll use these phrases and hope you guys didn't screw me over.

LMAO!
*watches as Lopan asks his friend if he wants it up the rump*
j/k j/k!

Last edited:
... believe it or not Lopan. The first thing that came to my mind was NOT screwing you over :p Hey, I'm paranoid, but not THAT paranoid :D

But I am that paranoid... except for the fact that I'm not.
Or at least I wasn't paranoid till my Japanese comrade performed seppuku two seconds after I used those translations. Actually now that I think of it, that may of not happened... yet.

Back
Top Bottom