What's new

A question for all those studying Japanese

Zuba

Sempai
16 Aug 2016
I have been studying Japanese for about a year now, and there are times when I watch a anime or listen to a song and I understand what is being said. When that happens it makes me feel like I am making progress and really learning and then I read or hear something and I have no idea what is being said. My question to all of you is, How did you measure your progress? Is it by just finishing a lesson, by spending X amount of hours studying, or by just being able to understand more Japanese in general.
I look forward to your answers. My way is by studying for a hour a day.

and then I read or hear something and I have no idea what is being said.

That is going to continue for a very long time. In fact, it will probably continue far longer than you will realize in the moment because there comes a tendency to assume you understand what is being said when you have in fact missed some small but critical point(s).

My question to all of you is, How did you measure your progress?

I don't think I did, really. Measuring progress would have been rather a non-issue for me. I did find it heartening to every now and then dive way back into earlier lessons or materials which at the time I first tackled them seemed impossibly difficult and then notice how incredibly easy they had come to appear. You might try that sometimes if you find it difficult to notice your own progress. If there are no mile markers alongside your path, you can always turn around and see how tiny the starting line has become and get perspective that way.

I went and looked at a lesson I did a month or so ago that was giving me hell to try and do. I struggled with saying the conversation and it took me forever to get it right. I am glad to report that it was easy.
Thanks for the advice! I will review a lesson when I feel like I am not making progress.

keep studying and check your post history once in a while.

You start asking about fundamental things like, adjectives, and one year later you're trying to comprehend a newspaper article about economy ou politics.

Thanks for advice. I will be sure to check on my posts, once I have a few more that is.

Back
Top Bottom