What's new

A question about Japanese greetings

KyonNeko

Registered
11 Dec 2015
I've noticed that in many cases when you say phrases such as ありがとうございました , おはようございます , よろしくお願いします, before I finished saying that phrase, the other person started saying it too.

Is that how you suppose to do it? When does it usually happens?
In my language you say "good morning" only after someone has finished saying "good morning" to you so that's why I was wondering why is it like that in Japanese? Is it because the greetings are long that you don't wanna wait until someone has finished saying it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, since no one else is taking a stab at this one, I will.
No, people don't normally talk over each other when using these phrases.
Without being there, I can only speculate what is going on. Perhaps you are speaking very slowly, or struggling with the words, or pronouncing them terribly, and the other person is trying to help you out.
Just a guess, but I suspect the problem is at your end.

I've seen it bunches of times....between native speakers. It isn't necessarily a problem on the OP's end.

OK, since no one else is taking a stab at this one, I will.
No, people don't normally talk over each other when using these phrases.
Without being there, I can only speculate what is going on. Perhaps you are speaking very slowly, or struggling with the words, or pronouncing them terribly, and the other person is trying to help you out.
Just a guess, but I suspect the problem is at your end.
Thanks for trying but like they said it happens between native speakers too.

I never thought about it before. I guess it's just the way it is. I think you can view these greetings in the same way as cheers (乾杯). At least in the English speaking world I'm familiar with everybody says cheers at the same time in a similar fashion.

I think they don't want you to feel uncomfortable so they want you to feel as if they understood you perfectly hence why they replied straight away. Definitely not them being rude though.

Back
Top Bottom