What's new

~が〇〇としたら vs ~は〇〇としたら

UsoToChinmoku

後輩
31 Jul 2014
I translated this http://cdn-obs.line-apps.com/line/r/lineq/c/A05049FB-CEBD-4B82-8BD7-DE7466F0B881.225b3926t06872a5b as

「こんなに古くて、これほど使われてきた銃は、まだ残ってるとしたら、確実に分かることはたった一つ、まだ機能してるってこと。 だから、ちょっと敬意を払って扱え。さもないと、その矛先がお前に向くことになってしまうかもしれない。」

And I was told by a native speaker that the 「銃は、まだ残ってるとしたら」 part sounds "off" and 「は」 should be replaced with が.

1) Is the original sentence ungrammatical or does it simply not make sense semantically, since 「は」 provides a comparative nuance?

I though it's probably because of this rule "
(3)主格がどこまで係る(=つながる)のか、文末まで係るのか、節の中だけにしか係らないのかによって使い分ける方法。
主格が文末まで係るときは「は」を用いて、節の中だけにしか係らないときは「が」を用いるということを基準にして使い分ける方法である。
・父が晩酌をするとき、つきあう。
・父は晩酌をするとき、冷や奴を食べる。"
Source: 日本語教師のページ 用語検索マンボウ

Since there's another clause, namely - 「確実に分かることはたった一つ」 , in between, I thought that's the problem. So rephrasing it to 「あの銃はまだ残ってるとしたら、まだ機能してるってこと」 should fix it. But, I was told the 「は」 here still sounds weird.

2) Is the modified sentence still ungrammatical? If so, could you explain why?

The point is ってこと. Actually, the subject of まだ機能してるってこと(だ) is 確実に分かること. たった一つ and まだ機能してるってこと are in apposition in that sentence, so the structure is 確実に分かることはたった一つ、すなわち/つまり、まだ機能してるってこと(だ). Thus, 銃 is the subject of 機能してる, and not the subject of まだ機能してるってこと(だ), therefore は can't be used there.
If it's あの銃は、まだ残ってるとしたら、機能してる(はずだ/に違いない), it's acceptable since 銃 is the subject of 機能してる(はずだ/に違いない) here, and は works well as an already-known topic between the speaker and listener because of あの even if 銃 is not mentioned previously. In other words, the modifying clause こんなに古くて、これほど使われてきた is also the key. こんなに古くて、これほど使われてきた銃は shows that the main clause is the explanation about the gun, but just まだ機能してる(はずだ/に違いない) is grammatically odd (cf. こんなに古くて、これほど使われてきた銃は、もう機能してるはずがない). This is another reason が is appropriate since the main clause is a result of a guess from the conditional こんなに古くて、これほど使われてきた銃がまだ残ってるとしたら.

By the way, my attempt is;
これほど古くて使われ続けてきた銃がまだ残っているのなら、確実に言えるのはただひとつ、まだ使えるってことだ。 だから少し敬意を持って扱え。さもないとその矛先がお前に向くことになるぞ。

Besides minor changes of wordings form the image of the speaker, I chose the -nara conditional since this can express a real fact other than a pure "if".

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the help as usual!

One thing - how do we know it's real fact? Looking at the context, is there no possibility that the gun doesn't exist anymore?

If the gun no doubt doesn't exist anymore, there is no need to talk about how you should treat it "if it's still around", no? Plus, なら conditional also can be used as common "if".

Back
Top Bottom