What's new

見しても/ムッと/思うたら

lanthas

27 Apr 2014
I've started watching anime accompanied by a Japanese transcript as listening practice. There are some sentences I don't fully understand:

見しても今日の木場 少し怪しかったわ (English subtitle: But Kiba was kind of weird today...)
What does 見しても mean exactly, and what is its grammatical breakdown? (It's pronounced みしても by the character, so it can't be 見す which is read as めす)

だれかと思うたら 悪魔の色男君ではありませんか (English subtitle: I was just wondering who it was. Looks like it's the playboy devil.)
What is this たら suffix? Possibly a dialect, or a typo of 思ったら in the transcript? (The character speaks quite quickly here so it's hard to verify)

ムッとするんだ
Not so much hard to understand, but more out of curiosity: why is ムッと written half in katakana, even in the dictionary?

見しても今日の木場 少し怪しかったわ (English subtitle: But Kiba was kind of weird today...)
What does 見しても mean exactly, and what is its grammatical breakdown? (It's pronounced みしても by the character, so it can't be 見す which is read as めす)
Isn't that しても, a slangy version of それにしても?

Isn't that しても, a slangy version of それにしても?
That would fit better, but that would make it a pretty dodgy transcript if that and 思うたら are wrong (assuming 思うたら is wrong in the first place).
I've never seen 見して myself, but apparently it's not so uncommon - 「見せて」を「見して」というのは方言ですか?ある知人(30代男)からのメールはいつも「見して」になっているので・・・普通...|質問・相談が会員登録不要のQ&AサイトSooda!(ソーダ), 「見して」はどうかな・・・. Any thoughts on that?

1. The given translation of the phrase is "but".
2. 見せても今日の木場、少し怪しかったわ doesn't make much sense.

As for 思うたら, it might be Kansai dialect, as Mike-san pointed out, or might be a typo.

Listening again with your hints, it's indeed にしても. The transcript does contain a few other subtle typos... E.g. where it said 異種 (いしゅ), listening to the audio made it clear that it should be 一種 (いっしゅ), that is, the complete opposite. I'll see if there's a better one available somewhere. And if that contains the 思うたら as well I suppose I'll give myself a crash course in Kansaiben :). Thank you!

For ムッと, I also thought that it was 「ムッ」と at first (similar to あっという間に), but both jisho.org and dictionary.goo.ne.jp list the complete word, including the と, as a regular -suru verb.

It's not just a する verb but also a と adverb, and those pretty much always keep hiragana と. (e.g. you can write はっきりと or ハッキリと but ハッキリト would look weird)

The original construction probably was:
ムッツリと→ムッと

I suggest this site Index of /subtitles/japanese - Japanese subtitles for anime. There shouldn't be any silly grammar errors.
Well - that's the very page where I got the current transcript from.

I had my reservations about 思うたら being a typo of 思ったら since there is no hypothesis in the sentence, but I just found this:
In Kansai-ben, the conditional clause (れ)ば is rarely used. Instead, the conditional clause たら is heavily used--to the extent that it is often used in cases where it would be not consider appropriate in standard Japanese.
So I suppose that it's this after all.

About that site...I was also excited when I first found it, but I wouldn't trust the transcripts too much. I've downloaded the subtitles for Chi's Sweet Home (which is a cartoon for kids, so it is really easy), and they are quite inconsistent when it comes to accuracy. Sometimes they make sense of what seems to me indecipherable sounds, and sometimes I am surprised how they could have misunderstood something that easy. So definitely use them as a guide only.

Back
Top Bottom