What's new

聴かせてもらうとして

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
(Said by police)「詳しい話は署で聴かせてもらうとして、君に最初に確認しておきたいんだけどね」

Hi. What does the として mean here?
Thank you.

Considering it's talking about the speaker's own actions (or that of his fellow police), "supposing/assuming" isn't quite the nuance here, I'd say.

It's more like this: (from Weblio)

話題そのまま放置しておく気持ちを表す。 「それはそれ-、本題に入ろう」 「詳細はあとで報告させること-、質問続けください

A natural translation (which doesn't really reproduce the exact Japanese grammatical structure) would be:
"We'll hear what you have to say in detail at the station, but for now, there's just one thing I want to confirm with you."

(edit: Not sure why it's automatically converting all those vocab words into links. Needless to say, I'm not suggesting that you look up every single definition.)

Well, in English we can naturally say "I suppose I'll be taking you to the station for questioning, but first I want to confirm a few things."
Maybe that's idiomatic though? Hmmm. Does 'suppose' actually mean 'suppose' there, I'm not actually sure, but we can replace it with 'expect' and 'assume' so I'm inclined to think it holds some meaning along those lines.

Well, in any case, the weblio definition seems much more specifically applicable than my vague parallel to English.

Not sure why it's automatically converting all those vocab words into links.

Weblio text gets cut-and-pasted as marked-up text if you're not careful. Use right-click past-as-plain-text to avoid that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom