What's new

無難なところ

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
Hi. What does the ところ mean here? It doesn't seem to mean either "place", "point", or "range".
Thank you.
5D9EF45B-801C-4A8B-B536-316E823D5487.jpeg

It's all related to the same meaning, it's just figurative/abstract.

You know how in English we can say "the sweet spot" or "that hits the spot" even if we don't mean a literal place or area but rather any sort of thing that falls into that category? It's the same with ところ.

Thank you. I know it's figurative/abstract use. But she is referring to a choice/option, how can a choice/option be a spot? Or how would you translate the 無難なところ?

The action described in the choice, i.e. the act of saying "This way," and naturally taking her hand.

I think you're getting caught up again in being too literal about your interpretation of "spot". If you understand that it's a abstract/figurative use, can't you understand how the action described might be the (figurative) "sweet spot" or the safe compromise compared to other options which are too familiar, too over-dramatic, etc. etc.?

How it would be translated in English (if at all) really isn't relevant. You have to be able to learn and train yourself to understand expressions like these on a fundamental level without relying on English translation.

Back
Top Bottom