What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

無難なところ

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi. What does the ところ mean here? It doesn’t seem to mean either “place”, “point”, or “range”.
Thank you.
5D9EF45B-801C-4A8B-B536-316E823D5487.jpeg

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
It's all related to the same meaning, it's just figurative/abstract.

You know how in English we can say "the sweet spot" or "that hits the spot" even if we don't mean a literal place or area but rather any sort of thing that falls into that category? It's the same with ところ.

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
Thank you. I know it’s figurative/abstract use. But she is referring to a choice/option, how can a choice/option be a spot? Or how would you translate the 無難なところ?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It refers to the action described in #3, not the choice.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
The action described in the choice, i.e. the act of saying "This way," and naturally taking her hand.

I think you're getting caught up again in being too literal about your interpretation of "spot". If you understand that it's a abstract/figurative use, can't you understand how the action described might be the (figurative) "sweet spot" or the safe compromise compared to other options which are too familiar, too over-dramatic, etc. etc.?

How it would be translated in English (if at all) really isn't relevant. You have to be able to learn and train yourself to understand expressions like these on a fundamental level without relying on English translation.

Top Bottom