What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

涙なんか押し戻してなかったことにしたくて

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
目が壊れてしまったみたいに、涙が湧き出てくる。僕は両手で必死にめぐう。涙なんか押し戻してなかったことにしたくて、拳を目に押しつける。

Hi. I know the gist of the underlined part is “I want to shove the tears back”. So why is てなかった used here? How should I make sense of it? Can’t we just say 涙なんか押し戻すことにしたくて?
Thank you.

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
Oh. I see. It should be “I want to pretend I haven’t been shoving the tears back”. 😅

Reaction score
I don't think so? Your translation would be for,

涙なんか押し戻しなかったことにしたくて or else 涙なんか押し戻したことをなかったことにしたくて or the like.

The actual
涙なんか押し戻してなかったことにしたくて
I think means "wanting to push the tears back in and pretend they had never been".

That is, I believe ない here means 涙がなかった, not 押し戻したことがなかった.

Also, in 僕は両手で必死にめぐう。 ... is this a typo for ぬぐう?

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Grammatically, 押し戻してなかったことにしたい can be both the contraction of 押し戻してなかったことにしたい, as zuotengdazuo-san interpreted, and 押し戻してなかったことにしたい, as Chris-san did. (More accurately, it's "I pushed the tears back in and I wanted to pretend they had never been", though.) Judging from the context, Chris-san's interpretation is correct in the example sentence. "I want to pretend I haven't been shoving the tears back" is not the same as "I want to pretend I'm not shedding tears" in meaning, and the latter is his intention here.

涙なんか is the object of 押し戻す, and at the same time it's the object or subject of なかったことにしたい. (Both 涙を「なかったこと」にしたい and 「涙がなかった」ことにしたい are possible. The meaning is the same anyway, though.)

Top Bottom