What's new

みんなの日本語-土曜日働きますか。

Please use English for your question. Your sentence doesn't make sense, I'm afraid. (I can GUESS the meaning, though.)

Alright, how should my sentence be in Japanese? Thanks.

Why do we not put 「は」behind the 「土曜日」?

I would say どうして「土曜日は働きますか」ではなく「土曜日働きますか」なんですか? or どうして「土曜日」の後に「は」が入らないんですか? along your original.

As for your question, particles に or は is not necessary for days of the week. 土曜日は働きますか is not wrong, but は performs as a contrastive marker in this sentence, so it has a nuance, for instance, "I know you don't work on Sunday, but how about on Saturday?"

Thank you! どうして「土曜日は働きますか」ではなく「土曜日働きますか」なんですか?I could understand this one but not the other one yet~

If I understand correctly, we only use はfor days of the week if the nature of the question is contrasting like the example you gave above: "I know you don't work on Sunday, but how about on Saturday?"

日曜日働きませんでわ土曜日は働きますか?

If I understand correctly, we only use はfor days of the week if the nature of the question is contrasting like the example you gave above: "I know you don't work on Sunday, but how about on Saturday?"
That's more likely "often" rather than "only". The following thread might be somewhat helpful for your understanding of は.

は, が and を what's the difference between the following sentences? | Japan Forum

日曜日働きませんでわ土曜日は働きますか?
日曜日はお休みだと思いますが、土曜日は働きますか?

Back
Top Bottom