What's new

一日一記事

Russian, South Korean, and North Korean foreign ministers meet to discuss the construction of a natural gas pipeline that would cross over all three countries.

露・韓外相、北朝鮮含む3か国共同事業推進合意
【モスクワ=貞広貴志】ロシアを訪問中の韓国の金星煥(キムソンファン)外交通商相は8日、ラブロフ露外相と会談し、北朝鮮を含む3か国で天然ガスパイプライン敷設と電力供給、鉄道整備の共同事業を推進していくことで合意した。

China's first carrier goes on a short test voyage, and there are fears that this will touch off an arms race between it and its neighbors.

中国初の空母が試験航行 周辺国の軍拡触発も
【大連共同】中国が遼寧省大連港で改修を続けてきたウ クライナ製空母「ワリャク」(満載排水量約6万7千ト ン)が10日午前(日本時間同)、同港を出港し、試験航 行を開始した。1年余りの試験航行を経て、来年就役する見通し。就役すれば 中国初の空母となり、アジア太平洋地域の軍事バランス に大きな影響を与えそうだ。

Intensely hot days continued throughout the country, and the Japan Meteorological Agency is urging caution against the high temperatures and thunderstorms.

猛暑続く 熱中症や雷雨に注意
12日朝も東日本と西日本を中心に気温が高く、日中は、各地で35度前後の猛烈な暑さが予想されています。午後からは、大気の状態が不安定になって、局地的に激しい雷雨となるおそれがあり、気象庁は、熱中症や急な天気の変化に十分注意するよう呼びかけています。

An apartment complex in Sakai City, Osaka-fu is suspected of limiting elderly people's ability to go out (video).

高齢者を外出制限? 堺市のマンションを市が調査
大阪府堺市のマンションに住んでいる高齢者が介護業者から外出制限など不当な扱いを受けている疑いがあるとして、市が調査に入りました。

I find the use of 聴 interesting, towards the end in 市は住民から事情を聴き、さらなる実態の把握を進める方針です. It's probably right, but normally it seems like 聞 is the catch-all character (though it hasn't bled its way in to the 効 and 利 world yet).

[Edit] Actually, now that I think about it more, 聴 seems like the best choice, because it implies active listening, whereas 聞 is more like "hear", and I think we can all agree we want the police intently listening to the people they're interviewing during their investigations.

Last edited:
A cultural article here: traffic jams exceed 50 kilometers in places due to the Obon Festival rush (video).

帰省ラッシュ 渋滞50キロ超
お盆をふるさとや行楽地で過ごす人たちで高速道路はすでに一部で50キロを超える渋滞が始まっているほか、新幹線や空の便も一日中、混雑する見通しです。

And if you're interested in staying on top of this, this just happened:

帰省ラッシュ 渋滞60キロ超
お盆をふるさとや行楽地で過ごす人たちで高速道路はすでに一部で60キロを超える渋滞が始まっているほか、新幹線や空の便も一日中、混雑する見通しです。

About 2 hours later 10 more kilometers were added.

Citizens in Dalian, China protest the presence of a chemical plant, and the authorities have promised to move it.

中国・大連 権利意識 市動かす
【北京=朝田憲祐】中国遼寧省大連市で十四日に起きた化学工場移転を求める一万人規模の抗議デモを受け、市トップの唐軍・共産党委員会書記は、工場移転を約束した。社会安定のため、早期の事態収拾に迫られたとみられるが、市民の要求を即日受け入れるのは異例。「権利意識」が市指導部を動かしたといえる。

I guess this'll finish up the reporting on the Obon Festival traffic situation. There were some pretty long ones, and they were easily worse than last year's.

お盆の高速、今年は大混雑 東北地方は特に激しく
高速道路各社は17日、お盆期間(10~16日)の混雑状況を発表した。10キロ以上の渋滞は374回(昨年261回)、30キロ以上の激しい渋滞は52回(同20回)で、いずれも昨年を大きく上回った。東日本大震災の被災者を対象にした無料化が6月に始まった東北地方では激しい渋滞となった。

A man without credential pretends to be a doctor and treats patients in the Tohoku region after the quake/tsunami disaster.

被災地の"自称医師"を無資格容疑で逮捕へ
東日本大震災後に宮城県石巻市で「米田きよし」を名乗る男性が医師資格を持たずに医療行為をしていたとして、宮城県警石巻署などは18日、医師法違反の疑いで、男性が活動拠点にしていたキャンピングカーを家宅捜索した。同署は容疑が固まり次第、男性を逮捕する方針。同署は、石巻専修大学(石巻市)の駐車場に置いてあったキャンピングカー内から、医療行為に使用したと思われる道具などを押収した。車の所有名義は男性と別人という。

This article really makes me wish I were getting paid in yen right now. It keeps getting more expensive, and today went as high as 75.93 JPY/USD. Investors keep buying them because they're among the most stable things to buy, aside from gold.

NY円 一時75円93銭 戦後最高値を更新
19日のニューヨーク外国為替市場の円相場は、一時1ドル=75円93銭 まで円買いドル売りが加速し、東日本大震災後の3月1 7日につけた戦後最高値(76円25銭)を一気に更新 した。世界的な株安の連鎖が続く一方で、比較的安全と みられている円に投資資金が流れた。「防衛ライン」と みられた戦後最高値の水準が破られたことで、政府・日 銀による円売りドル買い介入が必至な情勢となった。

Gaddafi's son is rescued by forces sympathetic to the dictator from the rebels' hands.

カダフィ大佐長男、反体制派の拘束から逃亡=報道
[カイロ 22日 ロイター] リビア反体制派に拘束されていたカダフィ大佐の長男モハメド氏が22日、親カダフィ派の兵士の助けによって脱出した。中東の衛星テレビ局アルジャジーラが報じた。

Ford and Toyota agree to collaborate on the development of a new hybrid system.

フォードとトヨタ、新型ハイブリッドシステムを共同開発へ
米フォード・モーターとトヨタ自動車は22日、小型トラックとスポーツ用多目的車(SUV)向けの新型ハイブリッドシステムを共同開発することで基本合意したと発表した。米国の排ガス規制が強化されることに対応するためで、異例の協力に踏み切った。

The rebels' joy explodes as they fire shots of celebration in the air after having taken over Gaddafi's base, Tripoli.

反体制派、喜び爆発 カダフィ拠点「制圧」に祝砲
「我々は勝利した」「殉教者バンザイ」――。リビアの最高指導者カダフィ大佐の「最後の拠点」とされる、首都トリポリのバーブ・アジジヤ地区に突入した反体制派は23日夕、「我々はこの地区の9割を制圧した」と主張した。地区内に入った反体制派の戦闘員らは空に向けて祝砲を打ち鳴らし、喜びを爆発させた。

The transfer of power in Lybia is set, foreign journalists who were being held have been released, and a bounty is put out on Gaddafi, dead or alive. Things sure can happen quickly sometimes.

政権移行着手 軟禁の外国人記者解放 「カダフィ拘束 」に懸賞金
【カイロ=佐藤貴生】リビアのカダフィ政権の崩壊を受 けて、反体制派組織「国民評議会」のアブドルジャリル議長は24日、8カ月以内に 大統領選と議会選を実施する意向を表明、国際社会の支 援を受けて本格的な政権移行に着手した。フランス通信 (AFP)が伝えた。一方、同議長は最高指導者カダフ ィ大佐の拘束に200万リビア・ディナール(約1億2800万円)の賞金を懸けると表明、捜索 を強化している。

I was thinking of a version of the "First Episodes Project" (I stole that idea from the same place as this one) too, where we put together recommendations for shows to watch. We may have to take that to the entertainment section, though. Hiroyuki Nagashima had a thread like that called "Free Distribution of Anime" a while back, but I don't think it's been kept up for a while.

Anyway, I figure the more stuff like this the better, because it'll get people using the language more, and may draw more people here and spawn more interesting language discussions. I've kind of been taking an "if you post it they will come" approach with this. :)

chinese-forums is an amazing place, I found this site because of there.

I'm liking this thread, I like the idea of learning new vocabulary before reading the article, it helps me focus and gives me more confidence to read the actual article, a lot more than just having a huge block of text to intimidate my little mind.

I'm still on the first article, I'll make my way down to my post! see you in quite awhile LMAO

Unfortunately I think the older ones are no longer good links. The vocabulary lists are a bit of a pain to make, too, so I've been slacking. It helps keep me posting articles too. 😌

The Japan Coast Guard discusses changes to their regulations so that ships will be able to order foreign ships out of Japanese waters without an investigation into their entry.

海上警察権強化で関係法令改正へ…海上保安庁
海上保安庁は26日、領海内に侵入した外国漁船や不審船に対し、立ち入り検査をせずに退去命令を出せるようにするなど海上警察権を強化するため、関係法令や内部規則の改正を目指すと発表した。

And while I was looking to make sure I had the right given name, I came across his official site, where I found this:

2011年8月15日
№842 私の覚悟

英エコノミスト誌8月2日号を見て、衝撃を受けました。表紙は富士山をバックに、着物姿でメルケル独首相とオバマ米大統領が並んでいるイラストです。タイトルは「日本化する欧米諸国」。副題は、債務とデフォルト(債務不履行)と政治の麻痺でした。
It's a nice break from the news, but still formal written language.

A team of American and French archeologists found some hand axes in Kenya dating back 1.76 million years, the oldest found yet. At least presumably they were archeologists. The article just said "American and French team". At any rate, pretty cool stuff.

ケニアで世界最古の「握斧」発見 推定176万年前
ケニア北部のトゥルカナ湖西岸で、石を削って鋭さを持つよう加工した「握斧」というタイプでは、世界最古となる176万年前の石器を米国とフランスのチームが発見し、1日付の英科学誌ネイチャーに発表した。

Newly selected prime minister Noda further determines who's going to be in his cabinet.

野田内閣2日発足 細野・平野氏留任、玄葉氏も入閣へ
野田佳彦新首相(民主党代表)は1日、内閣の要である官房長官に側近の藤村修前幹事長代理(61)の起用を決めた。東京電力福島第一原発事故を担当する細野豪志原発担当相(40)を再任し、環境相を兼務させる。東日本大震災の復旧・復興対策を担う平野達男復興担当相(57)と、連立を組む国民新党の自見庄三郎郵政改革・金融担当相(65)も再任する。玄葉光一郎国家戦略相(47)も入閣する方向だ。新内閣は2日、正式に発足する。

Fears that Kesennuma will be inundated cause residents to be cautious of the approaching Typhoon #12. The ground is already about 70 cm lower than it was before the earthquake in March, making conditions worse than they otherwise would have been (video).

【台風12号】気仙沼「水没の町」も警戒強める
大型で強い台風12号が四国に接近しています。東北の被災地も警戒を強めています。

Typhoon # 12 looks to be the most damaging of Heisei (1989-present).

死亡・不明100人超、平成最悪の台風被害
台風12号による豪雨で被害を受けた和歌山、奈良両県では6日午後も県警や自衛隊による行方不明者の捜索が行われた。和歌山県で6人、遠く離れた埼玉県でも1人の死亡が新たに確認され、全国の死者は49人、行方不明者56人と、合わせて100人を超え、平成最悪の台風被害となりそうだ。土砂崩れによる道路寸断で、今なお和歌山、奈良両県では孤立した地域が残っている。

Nara Prefecture sends relief materials to the prefectural disaster response headquarters, which was affected by Typhoon #12.

奈良県にヘリ派遣 県が物資輸送 福井
台風12号で被災した奈良県災害対策本部の要請を受け 、県は7日、防災ヘリを派遣した。奈良県五條市の物資 供給基地と十津川村間で物資の搬送を行った。

Back
Top Bottom