What's new

どちらの方 / 選ばせてくれない / 読まれるような / たっちゃって / しちゃう

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hiya,

1. 東京から新大阪まで行くのに、のぞみ113号とひかり 405号は、どちらの方が時間がかかりますか。

Is this asking which of the two trains takes the most time?

2. 旅館では、普通、メニューを選ばせてくれない。

My translation: "At a ryokan, it is usually not possible to choose from a menu."

For 選ばせて + くれない, I literally get "not be given the favour of being allowed to choose". Is this right?

3. 鷗外と漱石は、今でも読まれるような有名な小説を残しあ スが、それと同時に、いろいろな逸話も残した。

I think this is something to do with 鷗外 and 漱石 having left us well-known novels and also various anecdotes, but I how do we work in 今でも読まれるような?

4. 喫茶店やレストランで話しているうちにどんどん時間が たっちゃって・・・。

My translation: "While we were chatting in a coffee shop and then a restaurant, I didn't realise how late it was getting."

Is たっちゃって a contraction of something? Something to do with しまう?

5. せっかく晩ご飯を作って待っているのに、帰ってきてく れないとがっかりしちゃうし、気にもなるしね。

My translation: "I went to the trouble of cooking dinner and waiting for you, but when you didn't come back I was upset and worried."

a) Is しちゃう = してしまう?

b) Are the highlighted しs in ばっかりしちゃうし、気にもなるしね the し that means "and" in a kind of explanatory or emphatic way?

1. 東京から新大阪まで行くのに、のぞみ113号とひかり 405号は、どちらの方が時間がかかりますか。
Is this asking which of the two trains takes the most time?
"which of the two trains takes more time than the other"

2. 旅館では、普通、メニューを選ばせてくれない。
My translation: "At a ryokan, it is usually not possible to choose from a menu."
For 選ばせて + くれない, I literally get "not be given the favour of being allowed to choose". Is this right?
Right.

3. 鷗外と漱石は、今でも読まれるような有名な小説を残しあ スが、それと同時に、いろいろな逸話も残した。
I think this is something to do with 鷗外 and 漱石 having left us well-known novels and also various anecdotes, but I how do we work in 今でも読まれるような?
今でも: still/(even) now
読まれる: the passive of 読む
ような: like

The clause is modifying 有名な小説; "well-known novels that are still read today".

4. 喫茶店やレストランで話しているうちにどんどん時間が たっちゃって・・・。
My translation: "While we were chatting in a coffee shop and then a restaurant, I didn't realise how late it was getting."
Is たっちゃって a contraction of something? Something to do with しまう?

Yes. たっちゃって=たってしまって

5. せっかく晩ご飯を作って待っているのに、帰ってきてく れないとがっかりしちゃうし、気にもなるしね。
My translation: "I went to the trouble of cooking dinner and waiting for you, but when you didn't come back I was upset and worried."
a) Is しちゃう = してしまう?
Yes.

しちゃう = してしまう
たっちゃって=たってしまって

b) Are the highlighted しs in ばっかりしちゃうし、気にもなるしね the し that means "and" in a kind of explanatory or emphatic way?
Exactly. 👍 It connotes, for instance, "so you should call me when you can't come home" or like that.

[3] 文末にあって、事実・条件を言いさし、それから導かれ る結果・判断を言外にひびかせて表す(終助詞的な用法 )。

ああ面白かった。席もすいていた―ね
「し」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

Yes. たっちゃって=たってしまって

Right. I gave up on that idea because I couldn't find the correct verb for たって (out of all the numerous possiblities!), but looking again I think I missed:

経つ: to pass; to lapse

Is that right?

👍

Indeed, たつ has so many homonyms; 立つ, 建つ, 経つ, 絶つ, 発つ... 😅

Indeed, たつ has so many homonyms; 立つ, 建つ, 経つ, 絶つ, 発つ...

Thanks Toritoribe. This has reminded me of another question that I've been meaning to ask. I sometimes come across cases where the dictionary gives a kanji (like 経つ here), and there is no suggestion that the kanji is obscure, but nevertheless the author uses kana (like たっちゃって here). (Some beginners' texts deliberately limit the use of kanji so as not to overwhelm the student, but I don't think that's the case here.)

Where there's a choice between kana and kanji, is the choice usually rule-based? For example, maybe we don't write 経っちゃって because of the contraction? Or are there a whole bunch of cases where the author can use either kanji or kana and it really makes no difference?

There are so many cases depending on the words, and also on the writer's preference. Some may use kana to soften the nuance even if kanji is more common, and vice versa.(Kana is common but kanji is used to give a formal nuance.)
As for 経つ, the reason would be that the reading たつ is not in 常用 list, plus, "時間がたつ" is almost always interpreted as "時間が経つ" like a set phrase.

Back
Top Bottom