eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

「そのことは大声で言い触らしちゃいかん。おまえさん たち、まったくどうかしちまったんじゃないか。」
「ちょうどよかった。ハグリッドに聞きたいことがある んだけど。」

(First line is spoken by ハグリッド.)

a) Is どうかしちまった = どうかしてしまった?

b) What is んじゃない adding here? Why not just か?

c) What does he mean by ちょうどよかった?

2. 「ここでそんなことをしゃべりまくられちゃ困る。生徒 が知ってるはずはねーんだから。俺がしゃべったと思われるだろうが・・・」

Is しゃべりまくられて (I assume ちゃ = ては) indirect passive, meaning that someone else talking about it will result in the speaker being 困る?

3. 「初めてハグリッドに会った時、ズーッと前からドラゴンを飼いたいと思ってたって、そう言 ってたよ」

思ってたって = 思っていた + って (quoting), right?

1) a) Yes.
b) のではないか/んじゃないか is a way of forming a strong rhetorical question.
c) "This is perfect/great."

2) I'd say so, yes. 困る after られては seems to only happen in the adversity passive construction.

3) Yes. It goes with the そう言ってたよ after it.

Thanks Glenn, in 1c, do you understand why he is saying "This is great"? What is great about what Hagrid just said? Or is he being ironic?

In the line "どうかしてしまった"

Should one read it as "Dou/ Kashite shimaimashita" ? or "douka/Shiteshimaimashita?"

If the first one, then he is askin "how" *something* was lent or "what" has been lent?

Thanks Glenn, in 1c, do you understand why he is saying "This is great"? What is great about what Hagrid just said? Or is he being ironic?
The speaker(Harry?) was not saying that what Hagrid said was good / great. He said that the timing to see Hagrid was good / great (i.e., what he said is more likely "Good timing").

In the line "どうかしてしまった"

Should one read it as "Dou/ Kashite shimaimashita" ? or "douka/Shiteshimaimashita?"

If the first one, then he is askin "how" *something* was lent or "what" has been lent?
It's どう / か / して / しまった.

Last edited:
The speaker(Harry?) was not saying that what Hagrid said was good / great. He said that the timing to see Hagrid was good / great (i.e., what he said is more likely "Good timing").

Ah, so is it always going to be timing that ちょうどいい is referring to when it's used by itself?

どうかしちまった / しゃべりまくられちゃ困る / 思ってたって

That will depend on context.

丁度「ちょうど」could mean appropriate timing or exact fit for purpose. It also conveys a little good luck element to it.

ちょうどいい(湯加減)です. Water temp is just right. As you know the 湯加減 can be left out if it is obvious so ちょうどいい here wouldn't be talking about timing.

ちょうどよかった given the context can probably expanded to ちょうどいい時に来てよかった。

I've got a question though. どうかしてしまう。what does しまう add to どうかする?I assume this means いつもと様子が違うこと? Or I've completely missed the meaning.

The past form ちょうどよかった is often used as this meaning. ハグリッドに聞きたいことがあるんだ(けど) is the reason why he thought it's a good timing.

どうかする/どうかしている means more likely "to be crasy / to be out of one's mind" here. And I believe you must know a structure ~てしまった, meaning "to finish doing / to do something completely" with connoting "regret / against one's will / causing troublesomeness".;-)

ふむふむ…つまり、どうかしてるって気がおかしくなるっていう意味ですか?この「してる」って継続的な状態を表しますね?

これこそ日本語ならではの表現ですね。(汗

ややこしいことに「どうかした?」だと "What's wrong (with you)?" の意味になります。つまり相手が「いつもと様子が違うこと」に気づいて問いかけてるわけですね。

Back
Top Bottom