What's new

というのが有力な見方よ

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
「だっておまえ、言ったじゃねえか。空間震は、精霊の意思とは関係なく起こるって」
「ええ。少なくとも現界時爆発は、本人の意思とは関わりないというが有力な見方よ。」

Hi. Can I change the の in red into こと without changing the meaning?
Thank you.

Here's a related post about こと/の.

As I wrote there, which nominalizer should be used is decided by the main verb. This rule is also applied to 名詞文 "noun sentence" other than 動詞文 "verb sentence."

In a noun sentence "Noun A は/が Noun B だ", when Noun A is a noun clause "~ということ/の", which, こと or の, should be used is decided by Noun B. Some nouns only take の.
e.g.
〇彼は間違っていないというのが私の意見だ。
×彼は間違っていないということが私の意見だ。

〇彼女は無実だというのが警察の判断だ。
×彼女は無実だということが警察の判断だ。

見方 belongs to this group of nouns. 現界時爆発は本人の意思とは関わりないということが有力な見方だ sounds rather awkward.
cf.
〇現界時爆発は本人の意思とは関わりないというのが、この仮説の根拠だ。
〇現界時爆発は本人の意思とは関わりないということが、この仮説の根拠だ。
(The meaning is the same between の and こと when both can be used.)

This is related to the function of noun sentences. Noun A (= noun clause) is the contents of Noun B in all the example sentences in this thread. For instance, 彼は間違っていない is the contents of 私の意見 in 彼は間違っていないというのが私の意見だ。.

Incidentally, this structure can be considered a variation of 指定型名詞文 "Noun B Noun A だ". Nouns that expresses character/nature/property of people or things are often used as "Noun B" in this structure.
e.g.
彼の特技は、似顔絵を描くことだ。
(= 似顔絵を描くこと/のが、彼の特技だ。)

この会議の目的は、今期の目標を決める(という)ことだ。
(= 今期の目標を決める(という)こと/のが、この会議の目的だ。)

Note that の can't be used as the predicate right before copula.
×彼の特技は、似顔絵を描くのだ。
×この会議の目的は、目標を決める(という)のだ。

The nouns like 見方, 意見 or 判断 can't be rephrased by using こと.
×私の意見は、彼は間違っていないということだ。
×警察の判断は、彼女は無実だということだ。
×有力な見方は、現界時爆発は本人の意思とは関わりないということだ。

It's not always so, but もの can work instead of こと.
私の意見は、彼は間違っていないというものだ。
警察の判断は、彼女は無実だというものだ。
有力な見方は、現界時爆発は本人の意思とは関わりないというものだ。

Actually, I read somewhere a linguist wrote that it's difficult to say what kind of nouns can't be used with こと. I recommend using の in these sentence structures since the meaning is the same between の and こと, after all.

Back
Top Bottom