そろそろ家に帰りましょう。

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
14 Apr 2016
そろそろ家に帰りましょう。
About そろそろ and other adverbs for that matter. How come we can't say:
家にそろそろ帰りましょう。
By putting the adverb right before the verb?

There is no problem with the word order 家にそろそろ帰りましょう。, as I already answered to your similar question previously in the following post.

The word order somewhat affects the degree of emphasis, though. For instance, 家に is more emphasized in 家にそろそろ帰りましょう。, comparing to そろそろ家に帰りましょう。.

Well, that's reassuring. I'm getting a wrong answer when I'm typing this so it got me doubting, despite what you've previously explained. So I can always put the adverb wherever I want as long as I'm aware it impacts emphasis.

"For instance, 家に is more emphasized in 家にそろそろ帰りましょう。, comparing to そろそろ家に帰りましょう"
In the former to go home is emphasised while in the later is to go home soon.

Well, you also got an advise from Chris-san in the same thread.

I've never actually used it, but from everything I've heard from people I trust, Duolingo is really, really bad for Japanese. I may be biased (I learned Japanese back in the dark ages when "learning apps" weren't a thing), but I'm inclined to think it's better to use nothing at all (i.e. just old-fashioned textbooks, reference books, etc.) than to use a program that is giving you incorrect or misleading answers and explanations.

At the very least, you should be aware than Duolingo is full of problems like this, where minor sentence order changes, using kanji instead of kana (or vice versa), not using the exact phrasing the app expects, etc. etc. can result in a "wrong" answer that's actually perfectly valid.

I suppose you can keep asking here to check when you see something suspicious, and at the very least that will stop you from internalizing misconceptions. I still can't help but feel like Duolingo is more trouble than it's worth, though.

Yeah, it's a bit frustrating when I double check something here and find out that it's actually accurate. This being said, I have learned a surprising amount of vocabulary so I can't dismiss it entirely. Vocabulary words instinctively come to me now or I'll recognize what they mean just by looking at them. I do spent about 3 hours a day on the application rote learning though. I do report when there's an inaccurate mistake however.

As I've said, the alternatives are few and far between. I've tried LingoDeer but was disappointed. Anki doesn't provide vocabulary in the context of sentences so that's no good to me either.

Well, if it's helping you with something, then I won't tell you to stop using it entirely. That said, yeah, you should be probably be skeptical of what it tells you regarding grammar/sentence structure and maybe focus more on the vocabulary aspect of it.

People I've talked to seem to say LingoDeer is (slightly) better, but if you had negative experiences with it, I won't try to argue otherwise (as I mentioned, I've never used any of these apps). As for Anki, I thought it was just an SRS flashcard app and the content itself was entirely user-created "decks"? In that case, is it actually impossible to fill it up with sentences as opposed to just words out of context?

Anki doesn't provide vocabulary in the context of sentences so that's no good to me either.
As for Anki, I thought it was just an SRS flashcard app and the content itself was entirely user-created "decks"?

It is entirely user created content, yes. My deck is full of context sentences. Typically for a word I create one 'note' (= set of data) that results in two 'cards' (= items that I'll be quizzed on). E.g.,

For 其処彼処 , I am quizzed to remember the meaning of 雑草がそこかしこに生えた on one card.
On another card, i need to enter the hiragana 「そこかしこ」 to answer 雑草が其処彼処に生えた.

There's only one card for words with only a kana spelling, and sometimes multiple cards for a word with multiple kanji spellings.

You can do whatever you want if you make your own deck, or you can choose decks others have made that suit your needs. I'm certain there are *many* sentence decks that have been made by followers of AJATT, MIA, and other immersion+sentence-mining methods.

Back
Top Bottom