What's new

じゃった / あたり

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

「魅力的な毒舌じゃった」ダンブルドアは目をキラキラさせた。「とくに、わしのことを『時代遅れの遺物』と表現なさったあたりがのう」

1. じゃった = ではあった, right? (I like to sanity check these things from time to time.)

2. I am assuming あたりがのう implies あたりが魅力的な毒舌じゃった, with のう = の as a sentence-end emphasis. Is that right?

3. ... but, what exactly does あたり mean?

1)
That's だった in this case.

2)
Right.

3)
あたり【辺り】
3 〔例えば…など〕
明治の作家では漱石辺りが読みたい
I want to read Meiji writers 「such as [like] Soseki.
そのことなら伊藤氏辺りから出たのだろう
That idea may have come from, say, Mr. Ito.
あの困難な仕事に1人で取り組む辺り,彼はなかなか野心家である
He is certainly full of drive─for example, tackling that difficult job all by himself.
あたり【辺り】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

Toritoribe, could I ask you a few more questions on (1) please?

1. In the right context, can じゃった be a valid contraction of ではあった?

2. Would ではあった be grammatically correct in this sentence? If not, why not?

3. If the answers to (1) and (2) are both "yes", how do you know it means だった and not ではあった?

じゃ 【ぢや】
( 助動 )
〔「である」の語尾「る」が脱落した「であ」の転。中世後期以降,主として京都を中心とした関西地方で用いられる〕
〔断定の助動詞「だ」も同じ「である」から出たもので,中世末期から近世を通じて,「じゃ」が関西,「だ」が関東と,方言的対立を示して用いられ,現代に至る〕
じゃとは - Weblio辞書

As in the dictionary linked above, this じゃ is from である, unlike じゃ as the contraction of では. 毒舌ではあった is valid there, but Dumbledore would say 毒舌ではあった instead of 毒舌じゃった if he wanted to say so.

OK, thanks, and could you explain the difference between である and ではある? I think on the occasions I've encountered affirmative ではある, I've just vaguely thought of it as a "more elaborate" version...

である is just for a conclusion, whereas ではある implies that there is something other than what was mentioned (therefore it's often followed by "が、…"). Thus, this は performs as a contrastive marker.
e.g.
毒舌ではあったが、あまり効果的とは言えなかった。
毒舌ではあったが、愛情もこもっていた。

OK, thanks, and could you explain the difference between である and ではある? I think on the occasions I've encountered affirmative ではある, I've just vaguely thought of it as a "more elaborate" version...
ある is used to confirm the positive (or negative). A lot of times it's followed by が, けど, etc. It's similar to that ことは construct, e.g., いい人だったことはいい人だった(が) → いい人ではあった(が) = "He/she was a good person, but...".

Edit: Never mind, Toritoribeさん was faster. :)

Back
Top Bottom