What's new

これにした / ネット上 / 悪くはない / やっぱり

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi

1. The topic is broadband internet connection.

女: ああ、データを大量に速く遅れる通信手段ね。急速に普及している らしいわね。
男: そうらしいね。実は、これにしたのは大学院で勉 強するためなんだ。

I understand the woman is saying that broadband is a way of transmitting large quantities of data quickly, and that it seems to be spreading rapidly.

I believe the man is basically saying that you can even do university courses over the Internet, but I do not exactly understand what これにした means nor the exact purpose of ため.

2. ネット上の大学院で、テストも受けられるようにするべ きだと思いました。

(This is a suggested answer to the question 彼女はこの大学院についてどう思いましたか.)

a) Is 受けられる potential form?

b) Is she saying that you should be able to take tests over the Internet too, as well as study courses over the Internet? I am a bit unclear if and how the ネット上 part propagates to テスト.

c) 彼女 is the subject of 思いました in both the question and the answer, right?

3. ネット上の大学院で勉強するというシステムも悪くはな いと思いました。

Is the も悪くはないと思いました part just saying that she did not think this system of studying is a bad system? What is the purpose of も in this case?

4. 田中 has suggested booking a restaurant at 3,000 yen per head, 加藤 asks if they shouldn't find somewhere cheaper, but 田中 says that the last party was a failure because they went to a cheap place and the food wasn't good. Then 加藤 says:

あ、そっか。じゃ、やっぱりそれくらいかな。

The overall tone makes me think that 加藤 is changing his mind and agreeing that 3,000 yen is reasonable, but then やっぱり can apparently also mean "still" or "in spite", so I'm wondering if he could instead be saying he still thinks his idea of going somewhere cheaper is a good one?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong on this, but in 実は、これにしたのは大学院で勉強するためなんだ I actually think he's saying "The reason I chose this topic is because I'm going to study it in graduate school"
ため used in this way is similar to から, and xにする can have many meanings depending on the context but in cases like this it usually means to decide on something or to choose something..like if you are at a restaurant looking at a menu and your friend asks どれにする?? what are you going to get? and you reply これにしようかな。。maybe i'll get this one..

and in your sentence 遅れる should be 送れる

Thank you. In fact, after reading your explanation it is clear to me in the wider context that これにした refers to the speaker deciding to get a broadband Internet connection.

Any ideas about the others?

sure

a) 受けられる can be either potential or passive. In this context, like you guessed, it is potential.

b) It's hard to say without all the context, but as far as the Japanese goes, she is mentioning tests in addition to something else (so perhaps coursework). The ネット上の大学院 and テスト are connected in that they are talking about taking tests in an online graduate school.

c) yes

the も here means they must not have just been talking about the システム, but other things as well

4. actually i can't think of many times where やっぱり means "in spite"
usually the connotation is something that the speaker was thinking or expecting turns out to be true

for example, you think a particular restaurant looks expensive..you go look at the menu and see the entrees are $100 each..a common thing to say would be やっぱり高いんだ expensive, just as i expected..
the word has a lot of contexts in which it can be used, and it will take hearing it in action to really get a feel for it.
あ、そっか。じゃ、やっぱりそれくらいかな "Ah, yeah. I guess it'll be around that amount.." so you got the tone of the sentence right

a) ナステウ窶堋ッ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ can be either potential or passive. In this context, like you guessed, it is potential.
ナステウ窶堋ッ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ is rarely used as passive. It is used as either potential or honorific most of the time.

Thanks everyone...

There is just one more thing about (3):

ネット上の大学院で勉強するというシステムも悪くはな いと思いました。

Does 悪くはな いと思いました simply mean that she did not think the system was a bad?

It is the combination 悪くはな い that I feel a little uncertain about gramatically...

ヒ?ォ窶堋ュ窶堙坂?堙遺?堋「 has a nuance of being worse than ヒ?ォ窶堋ュ窶堙遺?堋「, something like "to be on the good side, not bad side".

level of goodness (good side vs bad side)
窶堙ヲ窶堋「 ツ≫? ヒ?ォ窶堋ュ窶堙遺?堋「 ツ≫? ヒ?ォ窶堋ュ窶堙坂?堙遺?堋「 ツ≫? 窶堙ヲ窶堋ュ窶堙坂?堙遺?堋「 ツ≫? 窶堙ヲ窶堋ュ窶堙遺?堋「 ツ≫? ヒ?ォ窶堋「

Back
Top Bottom