What's new

Would you kindly check my exam ? (2)

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Hello, native English speakers,
I made another exam, which is intended for the the eleventh graders.
I'd appreciate it if you would check some of the problems?

問1 次の英文を読んで下の問いに答えなさい。 [39点]
The Japanese like (1) people's ages. Once when I (2) a trip from Tokyo to Shikoku, I visited a travel agent to buy a ticket. Surprisingly, the first question I was asked was (あ)how old I was. I have traveled from America to Europe many (3) and have never (4) my age. (5), I didn't expect I would (6) that question (7) a travel agent.
When checking in at hotels, I always see a column (8) age. (9), under the names of people in newspaper articles, I often find their ages, though I think there are many (10) probably don't (い)[to / others / want / know] how old they are.
Why are the Japanese so conscious (11) age? (う)That is probably because they think they should show
respect to their seniors. Even if they are just one year younger than someone, they use polite language and behave respectfully to (え)that person. You can see this in schools and in offices everywhere in Japan. That's why a young man doesn't feel comfortable when he has to lead older people.
The Japanese also think people have to behave according (12) their age. The Japanese say, "Old people should behave like old people." So if an old person wears colorful clothes, people think (お)it is strange.
I think respect for seniors is wonderful, but people should not be so conscious (11) their age. (か)We should respect everyone regardless of their age. And elderly people (13) act like old people. If people act as they want, they will feel more comfortable.

(a)上の英文の(1)~(13)に入る適切な単語を下の選択肢から選び、解答欄に記号で書きなさい。 [13点]
(1)(ア)know (イ)knows (ウ)knowing (エ)to know
(2)(ア)plan (イ)am planning (ウ)was plan (エ)was planning
(3)(ア)time (イ)times (ウ)hour (エ)hours
(4)(ア)asked (イ)be asked (ウ)been asked (エ)being asked
(5)(ア)Therefore (イ)Moreover (ウ)By the way (エ)For example
(6)(ア)asked (イ)be asked (ウ)been asked (エ)being asked
(7)(ア)to (イ)for (ウ)by (エ)with
(8)(ア)to (イ)for (ウ)by (エ)with
(9)(ア)Therefore (イ)Moreover (ウ)By the way (エ)For example
(10)(ア)who (イ)whom (ウ)whose (エ)which
(11)(ア)to (イ)for (ウ)in (エ)of
(12)(ア)to (イ)for (ウ)in (エ)of
(13)(ア)have to (イ)has to (ウ)don't have to (エ)doesn't have to
(b)下線部(あ)を2語で言い換えなさい。 [2点]
(c)下線部(い)の語を正しく並び替えなさい。 [2点]
(d)下線部(う)の指す内容を日本語で書きなさい。 [2点]
(e)下線部(え)の指す人物はどういう人ですか。 [2点]
(f)下線部(お)の指す内容を日本語で書きなさい。 [2点]
(g)下線部(か)の文を日本語に訳しなさい。 [2点]
(h)①~⑩の語句の意味を書きなさい。 [各1点 計10点]
(i)次の語の最も強く発音する部分を記号で書きなさい。 [各1点 計4点]
①sur・pris・ing・ly ②com・fort・a・ble ③prob・a・bly ④won・der・ful
ア イ ウ エ ア イ ウ エ ア イ ウ ア イ ウ

問2 次の英文を読んで下の問いに答えなさい。 [11点]
We have many problems around us. (あ)When the problem is too big, (い)we tend to stop thinking about it and give up. However, if we continue to think about the problem and look at it (う)from a different point of view, we can sometimes find an answer.
Here is a good example. In big cities in Japan it is especially hot in summer. There are many
reasons for this. One reason is that there are not so many trees in big cities. Trees play an important role in reducing urban warming.

(a)下線部(あ)を日本語に訳しなさい。 [2点]
(b)下線部(い)を日本語に訳しなさい。 [2点]
(c)下線部(う)を日本語に訳しなさい。 [2点]
(d)下線部①~⑤の語句の意味を日本語で書きなさい。 [5点]

問3 日本語の意味になるように( )に一語ずつ入れなさい。 [22点]
①私は3回東京に行ったことがあります。
I have ( ) to Tokyo three ( ).
②あなたはもうこの映画を見ましたか。
Have you ( ) this movie ( )?
③トムはさっき出かけたばかりです。
Tom has ( )( ) out.
④あなたはどのくらい(の期間)日本語の勉強をしているんですか。
How ( ) have you studied Japanese?
⑤あなたが貸してくれたDVDはとても面白かった。
The DVD ( ) you ( ) to me was really interesting.
⑥トムには、タクシーの運転手をしている息子がいる。
Tom has a ( )( ) is a taxi driver.
⑦私の車が昨日盗まれた。
My car ( )( ) yesterday.
⑧この本は多くの人に読まれている。
This book ( )( )( ) a lot of people.
⑨昨日あなたのお父さんに会えなかった。
I ( )( ) to meet your father yesterday.
⑩あの男性はアメリカ人に違いない。
That man ( )( ) American.
⑪これがあなたにお話ししていた本です。
This is the book ( ) I told you ( ).

問4 ( )に入る適切な語句を選択肢の中から記号で選びなさい。 [7点]
①"Why did you turn on the radio?" "( ) listen to music."
(ア)I may (イ)I want (ウ)I'll (エ)I'm going to
②This is the temple ( ) in the ninth century.
(ア)which built (イ)that built (ウ)which is built (エ)that was built
③I often talk to people ( ) this store.
(ア)come to (イ)which come to (ウ)who come to (エ)whom come to
④( ) is really beautiful.
(ア)Mary's wearing the dress (イ)Mary's worn the dress
(ウ)The dress Mary wearing (エ)The dress Mary's wearing
⑤"( ) see your ID card, please?" "O.K. Here you are."
(ア)Must I (イ)May I (ウ)Are you going to (エ)Will you
⑥Come back ( ) it gets dark.
(ア)till (イ)until (ウ)by (エ)before
⑦( ) speak English and Japanese?
(ア)Do they able to (イ)Does they able to (ウ)Are they able to (エ)Will they able to

問5 日本語と英語がほぼ同じ意味になるように( )に入る適切な語句を選びなさい。 [3点]
①あなたの住所を教えてくれますか。( ) tell me your address?
(ア)Are you (イ)Do you (ウ)Will you (エ)Are you going to
②この時計を君にあげよう。( ) give you this watch.
(ア)I'll (イ)I'm going to (ウ)I must (エ)I may
③今日の午後は雨が降るかもしれない。It ( ) this afternoon.
(ア)may rain (イ)must rain (ウ)may be rain (エ)must be rain

問6 日本語と英語がほぼ同じ意味になるように[ ]の中の語句を並び替えなさい。文頭の語は大文字にする事。 [各2点 計6点]
①私は日本文化を説明した本を読んだ。
I read [ Japanese culture / book / a / that / explained ].

②ホテルで食べた料理はとてもおいしかった。
[ at / the food / the hotel / that / ate / I ] was very good.

③電話に出た女性は礼儀正しかった。
The woman [ phone / the / was / answered / polite / who ].

問7 日本語と英語がほぼ同じ意味になるように、下線部に[ ]内の語数の英語を書き入れなさい。
[各2点 計12点]
①このお寺には、毎年多くの人が訪れます。This temple a lot of people every year. [3語]

②私はそのパーティーに招待された。 I the party. [3語]

③(私は)窓を開けてもいいですか。 the window? [3語]

④これは、私が先月撮った写真です。 This is a last month. [3語か4語]

⑤私は先月からここに住んでいます。 I last month. [4語]

⑥あの男の子はお腹が減っているに違いない。That boy . [3語]

That's all.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

1-13 are all OK. I got a bit confused about what you were trying to ask after that.

Hmm...問7 is not shown properly. I'll try to correct it.

問7 日本語と英語がほぼ同じ意味になるように、下線部に[ ]内の語数の英語を書き入れなさい。
[各2点 計12点]
①このお寺には、毎年多くの人が訪れます。This temple ( )( )( ) lot of people every year. [3語]

②私はそのパーティーに招待された。 I ( )( )( ) the party. [3語]

③(私は)窓を開けてもいいですか。 the window? [3語]

④これは、私が先月撮った写真です。 This is a ( )( )( )( ) last month. [3語か4語]

⑤私は先月からここに住んでいます。 I ( )( )( )( ) last month. [4語]

⑥あの男の子はお腹が減っているに違いない。That boy ( )( )( ). [3語]

I've been away and just saw this. Perhaps it's too late, but I will reply anyway.

Problems 1 and 2 seem completely fine. I have no comments on either.

Problem 3
5 - second item. It seems to me that "lent" and "loaned" are both OK here. I don't think that either is grammatically wrong, per se, although you are welcome to get another opinion on that one.

8 - I am not sure about the Japanese grammar, but it seems to me that four blanks might be needed here, with possible answers including "is being read by". There my be a correct answer with three blanks that I cannot think of right now.

10 - second item. It seems to me that both "certainly" and "definitely" are OK here.

Problem 4
1 - It seems to me that three of the four choices can be considered correct here. Only "I want" is clearly wrong. I recommend revising this problem.

Problem 5
2 - Each of the first two choices seem OK to me. It's hard for me to say that either is clearly wrong.

Problem 7
5 - It seems that there are multiple correct answers here, including "started to live here" and "have lived here since". The second of these is better, but I would not treat the first as wrong.

6 - It seems that there are multiple correct answers here, including "is definitely hungry" and "must be hungry", and perhaps one or two others, as well. The second of these is better, but I would not treat the first as wrong.

Any problems I did not mention herein seem fine to me.

お疲れ様です。

Cheers.

Thank you for your great help, joadbres.

Problem 3
5 - second item. It seems to me that "lent" and "loaned" are both OK here. I don't think that either is grammatically wrong, per se, although you are welcome to get another opinion on that one..
Thanks for the information. But I don't think any students will write "loaned" because I haven't taught them the word.

8 - I am not sure about the Japanese grammar, but it seems to me that four blanks might be needed here, with possible answers including "is being read by". There my be a correct answer with three blanks that I cannot think of right now.

My intended answer is : This book is read by a lot of people. I believe the sentence sounds right.

10 - second item. It seems to me that both "certainly" and "definitely" are OK here.

Thanks for the information.

Problem 4
1 - It seems to me that three of the four choices can be considered correct here. Only "I want" is clearly wrong. I recommend revising this problem.

The following problem is from English Grammar in Use, a grammar book written by an English-speaking grammarian.
Q: Complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.
1 A: Why are you turning on the television? B: ____________________________ the news. (I/watch)

The answer is : I'm going to The book says "I'll" is incorrect Don't you agree with that?

Problem 5
2 - Each of the first two choices seem OK to me. It's hard for me to say that either is clearly wrong.

あげよう should be "I'll give you"., not "I'm going to give you" because よう suggests your decide to do something at the time of speaking. The grammar book mentiond above says.: "going to : We use (be) going to when we havealready decided to do something."

Problem 7
5 - It seems that there are multiple correct answers here, including "started to live here" and "have lived here since". The second of these is better, but I would not treat the first as wrong.

Thanks for the information. I don't think any students will write "started to live here", but if anyone were to write that, I would regard it as correct.

6 - It seems that there are multiple correct answers here, including "is definitely hungry" and "must be hungry", and perhaps one or two others, as well. The second of these is better, but I would not treat the first as wrong.

Thanks for giving me another possible answer. But I don't think any students are able to use the word "definately".(LOL)
Any problems I did not mention herein seem fine to me.

Thank you very much for your great help.

It's really hard for a non-native speaker to make good English exams.

お疲れ様です。

joadbress さんこそお疲れ様でした。

今、前回の見ていただいたテストの採点をしています。The exam seems to have been way too difficult for the students. The average must be 20/100 to 30/100.

The following problem is from English Grammar in Use, a grammar book written by an English-speaking grammarian.
Q: Complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.
1 A: Why are you turning on the television? B: ____________________________ the news. (I/watch)

The answer is : I'm going to The book says "I'll" is incorrect Don't you agree with that?

あげよう should be "I'll give you"., not "I'm going to give you" because よう suggests your decide to do something at the time of speaking. The grammar book mentiond above says.: "going to : We use (be) going to when we have already decided to do something."

I am sorry for the very late reply to your questions. I realize that the exam is finished, but I think it is still worthwhile to think about these issues.

Regarding the two exam problems which each had "I'll" and "I'm going to" as possible choices (both quoted above), the main point I would make is that although for both problems one of the choices may sound more natural than the other, I would not consider the less natural choice to be wrong, and I would not mark it as wrong.

Looking at each problem specifically...

For the first item quoted above, "I'm going to watch the news" is definitely more natural than "I'll watch the news", but I do not consider "I'll watch the news" to be wrong.

For the second item quoted above, given what you wrote about how よう suggests that you have decided to do something at the time of speaking, I think that both "I'll" and "I'm going to" sound natural, depending on the tone that is used when they are spoken. I would not consider either one to be wrong. You can use "I'm going to" even in a situation where you have just made the decision.

It's really hard for a non-native speaker to make good English exams.

Yes, I am sure that it is.

Back
Top Bottom