What's new

How do you call your grandfather's brother?

22 Jan 2005
I heard that in English people call their grandfather's brother "uncle",although I know appellations in English are very simple, still that amazed me. Father's brother and grandfather's brother are not in the same position in family hierarchy, why they're both called "uncle"? In Chinese, father's parents,mother's parents,father's siblings, mother's siblings,etc., all has corresponding appellation, why the appellations in English are so ambiguous? And how about in your language?

I agree. my grandmother and grandfather had seven brothers and sisters each. When speaking to them or referring to them, we just said "Aunt ..." or "Uncle ...," but when describing their relationship we were taught to say "great-aunt" or "great-uncle." So you see, the rule was slightly different depending on whether talking about the relationship, or talking to or about the person.

Bramicus said:
I agree. my grandmother and grandfather had seven brothers and sisters each.
Did you mean the four grandparents of yours? Wow!
When speaking to them or referring to them, we just said "Aunt ..." or "Uncle ...,"
That's what I mean, I mean the way you call them when speaking to them, not when describing their relationship. Isn't this a little confused? :p

quiet sunshine said:
That's what I mean, I mean the way you call them when speaking to them, not when describing their relationship. Isn't this a little confused?
Not really. We knew who they were. They were grownups who were related to us somehow, and we were kids! Once we grew up, we just all called each other by our first names anyway.
gringif-1.jpg

I am familiar with the term Great Aunt and Uncle, but I used to get confused with that due to calling your grandparents parents great-grand-father and great-grand-mother

If you think that's confusing, try figuring out the difference between your first cousin twice removed, and your second cousin once removed.
gringif-1.jpg

Aunt and Uncle are also often used to address older adults who are very familiar though unrelated, such as good friends of your parents. I think this is true in Japanese as well. In the film Kikujiro no Natsu the boy addresses Kitano's character as 'ojisan'.

Bramicus said:
Once we grew up, we just all called each other by our first names anyway.
So when you were a child,you called them uncle,aunty or something, after growing up, you just call their names,even those elders?:?
your first cousin twice removed, and your second cousin once removed.
What does this sentence mean? I can't understand. 😌

I also refer to my grandparents' siblings "aunt so-and-so" or "uncle so-and-so". Technically, they are great-aunts and great-uncles, but when talking about them or addressing them directly, I call them aunt or uncle. I called them that when I was younger and I still call them that.

I always refered to my Great Uncles and Aunts just as aunt or uncle, or even by their first name. My mother's sister made it a point to my mother that we were to call her by her name, not aunt. She never wanted to be an 'Auntie'.
On the other side my uncle's wife (Fathers side) always insisted on being called Aunt.

Ditto for me. I always called them 'uncle' or 'aunt' when speaking to them, but always referred to them as 'My great-uncle' or 'My great-aunt."

Example:

Great-Uncle Frank: How have you been Joe? Who's your friend?
Me: Just fine uncle Frank. Things Couldn't be better. Oh this is my friend Patrick.
Friend: Who was that man?
Me: Oh, that's my great-uncle, Frank. My grandfather's brother.

Even after I got older they insisted that I call them by their first names, but I was uncomfortable with that and continued to call them Uncle or Aunt.

Pachipro said:
Even after I got older they insisted that I call them by their first names, but I was uncomfortable with that and continued to call them Uncle or Aunt.

How strange ! I too feel this way !

Even when in my later years, it still doesn't feel quite "right" to call older relatives by a first name.

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

quiet sunshine said:
So when you were a child,you called them uncle,aunty or something, after growing up, you just call their names,even those elders?:?
That's pretty normal in Western Europe, I think. A similar system & habit like in English exists in German. I also called my great-uncles/-aunts only uncle (Onkel) or aunt (Tante).

Friends of the family were also introduced & to be called uncle or aunt (as long as you're a child. when in your teens you usually call them by their 1st name.).

All my aunts and uncles want me to call them by their first names. Only my mother still insists I call her "Mother"!

All of America seems to be on a "first name basis" these days -- it's considered friendly to use the first name. I don't like it, but I'm in a small minority it seems.

I'm in UK... I used to call my great-aunts and great-uncles, by 'aunt' or 'uncle' plus 'name' - e.g. "Hi Uncle Joe" or "Hi Aunty Anne". But if I was describing the relationship between us to someone else, of course I would use proper title!

I think, with not adding the 'great-' to the title, there is also (at least in UK) an element of not wanting to insult the person by emphasising how old they are! :D

It's funny, but even now I am grown up, I never refer to my relatives by first name only even though we are on really informal terms. I always say 'aunt' or 'uncle' plus 'name' still (this is for 'real' aunts and uncles - not 'great' ones - all my 'great' ones are dead by now!). And, I never called my parents by their first names either - always 'mum' or 'dad'. It would seem really odd calling them by their first name. Not less respectful, but in some way to call my mum by her actual name would seem to us even formal and distant!

@ Quiet Sunshine: first cousin twice removed = your cousin's child's child. Second cousin once removed = cousin of your mother of father.

Someone please correct if I am wrong on the above! I was told that the number of levels of 'removal' refers to how many generations away the cousin is. (btw, 'first cousin' is simply what we would say as 'cousin' in usual way of speaking.)

Kinsao said:
@ Quiet Sunshine: first cousin twice removed = your cousin's child's child. Second cousin once removed = cousin of your mother of father.
Thank you for the explanation! But there's a small problem, since first cousin=your cousin, first cousin twice removed=your cousin's child's child, why second cousin once removed = cousin of your mother of father? Shouldn't it be: second cousin = cousin of your mother or father, second cousin once removed=child of your parent's cousin?

Aha! Very probably you are right!

Hehe - I don't really know what I'm talking about. :D I thought I was going down the right track, but unsure somehow...

Back
Top Bottom