What's new

Would you check the second part for Part 3?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
would you also check the J to E part, please?

2 指定の条件に従って英訳しなさい。動詞は適切な形にすること。
①その地震の後、多くのテントが学校の運動場に設置された。
[after, lot, set, school groundを用いて14語で]
After the earthquake, a lot of tents were set up on the school ground.

②私の父は英語だけでなくフランス語も話す。[as well を用いて8語で]
My father speaks French as well as English.

③その戦争が始まったとき、私は12歳だった。[whenで始め, breakを用いて10語で]
When the war broke out, I was twelve years old.

④聴覚障害が原因で、私はパイロットになれなかった。[of, disability を用いて10語で]
Because of my hearing disability, I couldn't become a pilot.

⑤その委員会の何人かのメンバーは様々な障害を持っていた。[of, have, disability を用いて8語で]
Some members of the committee had various disabilities.

⑥聴覚に障害があるその女性はたくさんのユニークなアイデアを思いついた。
[with, disability, come, lot を用いて13語で]
The woman with hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.

⑦この辞書には、単語のイギリス綴りとアメリカ綴りの両方が出ている。
[include, spellings, of を用いて10語で]
This dictionary includes both British and American spellings of words.

⑧私の新しい仕事に関して言うと、私はとても楽しんでいる。[as, really, it を用いて10語で]
As for my new job, I am really enjoying it.

⑨赤い光[複数]が付いたり消えたりしたので、私は火事が起きていることに気付いた。
[becauseで始め, flash, on, notice, breakと過去完了形を用いて15語で]
Because red lights flashed on and off, I noticed that a fire had broken out.

Hirashin from Kyoto , Japan

An Irish person changed #9 into "Because red lights were flashing on and off, I realised that a fire had broken out." What would you think? Would his version sound better? Would "notice" sound off here?

⑤ The English that you wrote is slightly confusing and awkward. The way you wrote it, a native speaker is likely to think that EACH member of the committee who had a disability, had MORE THAN ONE disability.

However, I think it is likely that the intended meaning is that each member with a disability has only ONE disability, and that among all the disabled members, there are several different types of disabilities.

In natural English, we probably would convey this without explicitly translating 「様々な」, as it is implied.

We would simply write: "Several members of the committee had disabilities."

To explicitly include 「様々な」in a natural English version, the sentence would become too complicated for your students, I think.

I think that it may be best to REPLACE THIS QUESTION with something simpler, to avoid confusion.

⑥ Disability is a 可算名詞. Use 'a' or 'the', depending on the context.

The woman with the hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.

⑧ As I mentioned in my other post today, we do not use "As for" very much. We would normally write the sentence this way:

I am really enjoying my new job.

However, there is a context in which your reply is OK. If someone asks you several questions, including one regarding your new job, then you could possibly answer using your words. Therefore, what you have is OK if you want to keep it.

⑨ The Irish person's changes are good.

"Were flashing on and off" is better than what you wrote. This sentence is not a simple 過去完了形 situation, because there are two different overlapping events: (a) a simple past tense event that occurs during (b) a past progressive (continuous) event: that is, (b) the lights are flashing, and (a) the person sees the lights flashing. Compare this to a simpler, similar sentence: "While I was watching television, the phone rang."

Also, "realized" is better than "noticed" in this situation. We use "notice" only with simple observations, but "realize" when you gain an understanding of something, or draw a conclusion.

In particular, if the person only sees the flashing lights, but does not directly see the fire itself, then using 'notice' is very unnatural. I would probably use "became aware" in this situation, but, of course, I do not expect you to teach this phrase to your students. Using "realize" is fine.

Thank you for your great help. I really appreciate it.

(6a) The woman with a hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.
(6b) The woman with the hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.

Is it that if the listener is already aware of her hearing disability, you use (b)?

Corrected version:
⑤その委員会の何人かのメンバーは障害を持っていた。[several, of, have, disabilities を用いて7語で]
Several members of the committee had disabilities.

⑥聴覚に障害があるその女性はたくさんのユニークなアイデアを思いついた。
[the×2回, with, disability, come, lot を用いて14語で]
The woman with the hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.

⑨赤い光[複数]が付いたり消えたりしたので、私は火事が起きていることに気付いた。
[becauseで始め, be, flash, on, realize, breakと過去完了形を用いて16語で](気づく→「理解する」の意味
の時はnoticeではなくrealize / realise [英]を用いる)
Because red lights were flashing on and off, I realize that a fire had broken out.

Your revision to ⑤ is perfect. Well done.

(6a) The woman with a hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.
(6b) The woman with the hearing disability came up with a lot of unique ideas.

Is it that if the listener is already aware of her hearing disability, you use (b)?

For the second-level article, as in the above examples, in most situations you can use either 'a' or 'the'. In your case, (6a) and (6b) are both OK.

I am not sure, but I think that the only situation where 'the' must be used is when you have already explicitly spoken with the listener about the second-level object. For example, in most situations you can say either (a) "the man wearing a blue shirt" or (b) "the man wearing the blue shirt", but if you have already made any kind of specific mention to the listener about the blue shirt, then you would only use (b).

The way you currently have written the instruction ("the×2回") is fine. Maybe it would be nice of you to also give them a hint that "disability" is a countable noun.

In ⑨, you need "realized" in past tense form.

Thank you for the further explanation, joadbres. It's really difficult for a non-native speaker of English to use "a" or "the" in the correct way.

In ⑨, you need "realized" in past tense form.
Don't worry. I put 動詞は適切な形にすること in the question sentence above.

Back
Top Bottom