What's new

Will you teach me English? And please be my friend?

May said:
i always want to make some japanese friends, but there is no japanese in our school~~~oh no~~~

Hello May, you shouldn't have any hard time to find japanese speakers in UK.
I'm myself in this f<beep> expensive country and I've met like 7 japanese students in 2 weeks.
I've been also in london, and there were lot of native japanese speakers wherever I was going to.
Beside in uk, japanese people are really friendly, and although I'm chinese they are really nice to me.
Anyway good luck with your attempt to make jp friends

(random order)

Hai = yes / true

Iie = no / untrue

Konnichiwa = Good Afternoon

sou ka = I see

no = 's (i.e belonging to eg Karu's Book = Karu no hon)

ka = ? (ie Is this Karu's book? = Karu no hon desu ka"

Nan / nani = What

sama = respecful suffix

chan = (suffix i.e Name-chan. a child / someone immature / someone cute

baka = Idiot
-------------------------

Also some more info:

Nihon = Japan
Nihon-jin = Japanese people
Nihon-go = Japanese Language
Amerika = USA (yes you can use -jin and -go with this)
Igirisu = England
Chuugoku = China (yes you can use -jin and -go with this)

Konbanwa = Good Evening
Ohayou Gozaimausu = Good Morning (O Hi Yo Goz Zai Maus
Ohayou = Morning (informal)
Moshi moshi = hello (usually for telephone)

Goodnight = Oyusumi Nassai (O Yas su mi nais sigh)
Goodbye = Sayoonara (Sa yore na ra)
Goodbye = Shiturei Shimasu (lit. excuse my leaving) (Sit tu ray she maus)
See you later = Ja ne / Ja Mata

(name)-Kun = suffix (used when talking to boys / or tomboyish girls )
(name)-San = suffix (useful when ever another doesn't apply, or you're not re)

Hajimemashite (Ha Je me mash te)
= Nice to meet you (non lit.)

Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu /Douzo Yoroshiku (Your rosh ku)
=pleased to meet you (lit. please treat me kindly)

Onegai = Please (On ne gai)
Arigatou = Thankyou (A ri ga toe)
Sumimasen = Excuse me / Sorry (Sa me mas sen)
Gomen (nasai) = (very) Sorry

Warui = bad (people, actions)
mazui = bad (taste, situations)
Kirai = Hate (Key ray)
Kowai = Scary

Sugoi = Amazing
Kakko(u) ii = Cool
Kawaii = Cute
Kirei = Pretty (Key ray ee ?)
ii / yoi = good

gomen nassai if my translations are incorrect / incorrectly spelt
Thanks to Paul & Nagi for spelling corrections for the romaji. I tend to spell it how i pronounce it :D

This is just what i've picked up in the 7 months i've been teaching myself, off and on.

Last edited:
???

Why is everybody here teaching each other mistakes? Non-native speakers teaching others - did I miss something??
Don't take this personal, but I recommend to get advice from advanced students or natives before posting wrong or even miscorrected expressions.
How about not posting at all when you're not sure? You could also ask someone to proofread your list. This would save other beginners the hassle to unlearn the wrong words.

well i can't write any other way :(... actually could someone deleat that post (points upwars) as it's not especially relevent, and i've posted it again in the learning japanese forum. Sorry for the trouble mods.

BTW, the girl that started up this topic, claims to be 17 and lives in japan.

However she listens to preteen american pop music, and her msn profile says that she's 14 and lives in America.................. hmmmmmmmmmmm

rofl
My icq profile still says that I'm 18Yo but I'm 21 :D
Beside I'm sure Haruka's already found enough penpals :p

dreamer said:
I'm myself in this f<beep> expensive country and I've met like 7 japanese students in 2 weeks.
I've been also in london, and there were lot of native japanese speakers wherever I was going to.
Beside in uk, japanese people are really friendly, and although I'm chinese they are really nice to me.
Anyway good luck with your attempt to make jp friends
well, that's because i'm living a quite small village. you know Lake District? my school is there. not so many Asian people live in that area.
but when i went to london, i met quite a lot japanese speakers there.
But very nice to see you, i'm also a chinese!! haha~~ 👍
i'm going to london next week, cuz i have 10-day holidays!yeah~~

willuknight said:
well i can't write any other way :(... actually could someone deleat that post (points upwars) as it's not especially relevent, and i've posted it again in the learning japanese forum. Sorry for the trouble mods.

However she listens to preteen american pop music, and her msn profile says that she's 14 and lives in America.................. hmmmmmmmmmmm
i noticed that aswell :?
and her english seems fine on her profile, while on the forum there are small mistakes.

probably self written ;D I've talked to her twice now.... perfect english lol

Personally i don't mind talking to anyone overseas, however i don't want to chat to someone when they lie about who they are....

Not giving information is different from giving false information.

willuknight said:

willuknight said:
probably self written ;D I've talked to her twice now.... perfect english lol

Personally i don't mind talking to anyone overseas, however i don't want to chat to someone when they lie about who they are....
Lie? What if she moved to America (but registered here 3 years ago) and now her English is really good?
Talking to anyone overseas? Hey this is the Internet mate, there are no borders, distance doesn't matter! Your post travels around the globe in a fraction of a second. So basically we all live in a big big village exchanging our thoughts at the speed of light. Isn't that fantastic?

willuknight said:
Not giving information is different from giving false information.
Guess you refer to the vocabulary list you posted earlier.

rakuten> There is no need for a personal attack.

rakuten said:
Lie? What if she moved to America (but registered here 3 years ago) and now her English is really good?

That doesn't explain why her profile says's she's 14, but on here she says she's 17. If people don't want to say how old they are, then thats fine, but thats different from deliberately stating something untrue.

Also these:
Haruka said:
i'm 17 years old.
my english poor
hello!!i'm highschool student in japan.
Seem to work against your theory.

rakuten said:
Talking to anyone overseas? Hey this is the Internet mate, there are no borders, distance doesn't matter! Your post travels around the globe in a fraction of a second. So basically we all live in a big big village exchanging our thoughts at the speed of light. Isn't that fantastic?

It seems you misunderstood my comment.
i said
Willuknight said:
"i don't mind talking to anyone overseas"
Because i didn't want people to think that i wasn't going to chat with someone just because they were from America, and not Japan.

rakuten said:
Guess you refer to the vocabulary list you posted earlier.

My vocabulary list did not contain false information, it was merely slightly inaccurate (i.e incorrectly spelled romaji). Something i corrected as soon as i could.
-------------
Anyway i just thought I'd point this out for anyone thinking about communicating with this person. I have stated my own opinion, and i am not enforcing it on anyone.

willuknight said:
My vocabulary list did not contain false information, it was merely slightly inaccurate (i.e incorrectly spelled romaji).
Not entirely true.

PaulTB said:
willuknight said:
iimasu = correct

(something) to iimasu = to say (something)

but at least you did correct them which is a step up from inuyasha-the-kid.

In my opinion, incorrectly spelt words are false. It depends on the extent, but there are limits - even if you include a kiddie-bonus.

I give an example:
"ryokou", "ryouko" and "ryoukou" are three completely different words.
So are "keiyaku" and "kaiyaku", haha! And "kayaku" is diffent too.
"moshi" and "mushi", "meguru" and "mekuru", "naru" and "narau", "saki" and "seki" etc.

Same goes for English:
"tire" and "tyre" are not related to each other. "pale" and "pole", "steal" and "steel", "hint" and "hunt" "tip" and "top", "track" and "truck" etc.

@willuknight
That wasn't meant to be a personal "attack". But I admit the last line of my post was corny...

Ok, it seems I misunderstood your comment about "overseas". But there was no point where I should assume that you actually would mind to talk to anyone overseas. Well, whatever...

All I wanted to say is things might be a bit different in reality, but that doesn't make someone a liar. If some data is inaccurate, tell the person. I don't think that girl is a pretender, luring people into her cave...?

Am I a liar because my flag says Switzerland (country of residence) but I'm Asian?

rakuten said:
Am I a liar because my flag says Switzerland (country of residence) but I'm Asian?

the flag is your country of residence, not your country of origin, so no.. it does not.

we sort of set up an unspoken rule that people with poor japanese skills doesn't get to tell others what is what when inuyasha came along since just about everyone on these forums have some sort of rudimentary japanese skills.

I'm not going to make any listings going "keitai (denwa) = mobile phone" etc because my japanese skills are about your level, willuknight.

just saying. there are a lot of people here that really *know* japanese, so let them handle that stuff...

I agree that "slightly" wrong information is as bad as false information. If someone takes your guides and learns them, they'll learn faulty japanese... it's harder to un-learn and re-learn than it is to learn it right from the beginning.

So you're doing people a dis-favour by posting this stuff before you've got a good grasp of the language you're trying to teach.

... I'm a blunt guy. here's my whole post in 4 words: willuknight, your japanese sucks.

TwistedMac said:
I agree that "slightly" wrong information is as bad as false information. If someone takes your guides and learns them, they'll learn faulty japanese... it's harder to un-learn and re-learn than it is to learn it right from the beginning.
Which is why it's highly relevant that he corrected the posts.

Although I agree that he isn't really in a position to teach Japanese.

Nope, i'm not. :)

I only posted that list, because of Inyashu Kid's post....

Sorry guys... I am a newbiew on here, so perhaps you'll excuse me this time ?

Cheers :)

No trouble at all, willuknight. At least you corrected your post, and that means you don't post out of stupidity but are serious about it.
And don't take too serious what is said here, we don't want to bully you. I apologize if I expressed myself too rough, it wasn't meant like that, sorry.

If you're serious about learning Japanese (and intend to reach a higher level), you must learn accurately from ground up. There's enough other stuff that will trouble your mind, being accurate is a basic requirement. A programmer who makes lots of typos won't get beyond a basic level 'cause he stumbles across his own mistakes all the time. Imagine you'd confuse even basic words like kirei, kirai, karai, karui and kurai all the time - you won't make it very far. And then there are more confusing words like karei, korai, kerai - or the other way round: reikai, reika, reiki, rikai, raiki etc.

Was I talking to your hisho this morning? Or was it hishou? Or hoshi? Hashi? Hisha? :mad:

And following Inuyasha's examples...well, following anyone else's would've been a much better idea... (on the other hand, he call's himself kid, doesn't he?)

Nihongo ganbatte kudasai, willuknight! 👍

Well, not so much following his example as correcting (or trying to) his mistakes.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement :) time to let this topic rest, me-thinks.

May said:
well, that's because i'm living a quite small village. you know Lake District? my school is there. not so many Asian people live in that area.
but when i went to london, i met quite a lot japanese speakers there.
But very nice to see you, i'm also a chinese!! haha~~ 👍
i'm going to london next week, cuz i have 10-day holidays!yeah~~

Hum...nope sorry I'm not very familiar with UK's geography... :mad:
Anyway I often go to london (about once/week) since it's not really far from Brighton 🙂
well you should try to find some penpals next week then :p
good luck

haruka said:
i'm japanese girl.i'm 17 years old.
i want to learn english and wana make some friends from all over the world.
i can teach you japanese.but i'm not good at japanese lol kidding.
my english poor so...actually hard to explain in english.
anyways i hope someone can help me!!

send me a picture of your and i'll send you a english vocab and it's meaning in japanese 😊

best way to learn english pronunciation is to watch american/english movies. that is if you can't get in touch with english speakers face to face.

i would not recommend learning it over some voice chat session as it is unnecessary.

haruka said:
i'm japanese girl.i'm 17 years old.
i want to learn english and wana make some friends from all over the world.
i can teach you japanese.but i'm not good at japanese lol kidding.
my english poor so...actually hard to explain in english.
anyways i hope someone can help me!!
Hi Haruka,
I hope we can be friends ^^

Back
Top Bottom