What's new

What's Your Favorite Japanese Pizza Topping?

What's your favorite Japanese pizza topping?

• Total voters

Brooker

Anjin
Contributor
10 Apr 2004
I was a little shocked at first with the strange toppings put on pizzas in Japan, seems like they'll put just about anything on there. But, in time I grew to like it.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of them. Let me know of some other Japanese toppings and I'll add them to the poll.

Last edited:
I've never had pizza with any of those toppings, but I think that I would prefer squid over the others. Mayonnaise is something that I find to be totally disgusting; although I like tuna, I can't imagine it being on pizza; I love corn, and I do think that it would be ok on pizza, so I will withhold judgement until I try it. Squid, I think, would be a good pizza topping.

Some seafood, and fresh water creatures, fit well into the taste of pizza. I love anchovie pizza, and one of my favorite ethnically influenced pizzas I have eaten was a crawfish pizza that I had in a small, predominately Cajun town in southern Louisiana.

Last edited:
Corn on pizza is actually really good. It adds just a hint of sweetness. I like corn in an omlette too. People think I'm crazy, but then they try it and love it!

Mayonnaise in pizza sounds disgusting, but it's not bad. I was sceptical too, but it's good.

Tuna is good, but seems a little out of place on a pizza (but so is pineapple IMHO).

But when it comes to food preferences, I'm pretty easy to please.

I like corn in an omlette too. People think I'm crazy, but then they try it and love it!

Brooker, living in the land of corn and representing the people of Iowa, we thank you for doing your part in upholding the nation's corn consumption. Hmmm, corn omlette ... that does sound good -- maybe with some chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers?

I couldn't vote on your poll, but I remember liking other stuff like french fry & wiener, pickled ginger & seaweed.

It sounds very strange, but seaweed goes well with cheese, and I don't remember if that one had the regular sauce with tomatoes.
Mayonnaise seems too oily on pizza, but it does tastes good when it gets brown on top.

The menu from Pizza-la (my favorite delivery pizza) says:

a) New Fisher pizza: scallops, shrimp, squid & veggies
b) Winter Crab pizza: crab (Zuwai-gani), shrimp, bacon & veggies
c) White Provence: ham, cherry tomatoes, boiled eggs, shriimp, etc., with white sauce
d) Golden Triple Corn pizza: Triple corn with curry sauce
e) Teriyaki Chicken pizza with teriyaki sauce

Some of their "unconventional" pizzas... 😌

Misa J. -- I know what you mean about cheese and seaweed. I have eaten various types of cheese wrapped in nori, and it was really tasty.

Epigene, the New Fisher pizza, and Golden Triple Corn sound quite good. I like the idea of corn with curry sauce.

Reading and posting in this thread earlier today made me hungry for pizza, so I made one for dinner tonight. I made a whole wheat crust with cornmeal on the bottom. The sauce was made from olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, sage, basil, worchestershire sauce, a bit of Yucatan green habanero sauce, and finely chopped onion. It was topped with ground chicken white meat that had been sauteed in olive oil with garlic, basil, a dash of soy sauce, and black pepper, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, slices of portobello mushrooms, anchovies, and grated parmesan cheese.

Bob in Iowa said:
Reading and posting in this thread earlier today made me hungry for pizza, so I made one for dinner tonight. I made a whole wheat crust with cornmeal on the bottom. The sauce was made from olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, sage, basil, worchestershire sauce, a bit of Yucatan green habanero sauce, and finely chopped onion. It was topped with ground chicken white meat that had been sauteed in olive oil with garlic, basil, a dash of soy sauce, and black pepper, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, slices of portobello mushrooms, anchovies, and grated parmesan cheese.

Sounds good, but NO CORN??!! :bikkuri:

I actually dig tuna pizza, and corn/egg ain't that bad, either.

But mayo?
I like mayo, and love takoyaki and okonomiyaki, but it's pure blasphemy on pizza.

Actually there is an Italian style resturant here with a stone oven that makes a salad pizza topped with mayo...it is one of the best pizzas I have ever had...but the first time I saw it I was like "no way!"...now I'm glad that I tried it!

It is good to try new things. With pizza toppings, you can be creative as long as you know what you like.

After having several pizzas in the U.S., I'm really into bacon right now, w/ artichokes or black olives. Umm, yummy!

Last edited:
Fries on pizza. Talking about carbohydrates... ☝ Corn too.

I think out of those choices, shrimp would be okay. Curry sauce too.

I love shrimp, corn and tuna on pizza. You make it like a seafood chowder type pizza. Sounds odd, but it's delicious.

Wow! Shrimp? Corn? Tuna? Boiled eggs? Mayo? Squid???? Talk about culinary imagination gone wild! Like Uncle Frank, I'll stick with the classics!

:D

How about this?

Mayonnaise, onion, Korean barbecue (beef), nira (green leafy vegetable with garlic-like pungent smell) and hot red pepper!! (Courtesy of Pizza Hut)

Maybe you're not interested, but I prefer Pizza Margherita... :p

Jungle Boy said:
I love shrimp, corn and tuna on pizza. You make it like a seafood chowder type pizza. Sounds odd, but it's delicious.

Yeah, I also like shrimp, corn and tuna as pizza toppings!! 👍 (especially shrimp)

epigene said:
How about this?

Mayonnaise, onion, Korean barbecue (beef), nira (green leafy vegetable with garlic-like pungent smell) and hot red pepper!! (Courtesy of Pizza Hut)

Maybe you're not interested, but I prefer Pizza Margherita... :p

Now THAT doesn't look too bad! I could handle that! Looks delightful!

👍

I am making curry right now, and I try to imagine having it on pizza.
My conclusion is, curry doesn't go well with cheese, so it doesn't work. :p 😄

misa.j said:
I am making curry right now, and I try to imagine having it on pizza.
My conclusion is, curry doesn't go well with cheese, so it doesn't work. :p 😄

I agree...I have never tasted curry on pizza, but I think I would say "pass" to curry topping on pizza....

Here's a strange one....

SQUID INK PIZZA: Oh, this is the grossest!! In these pizzas, the tomato sauce is replaced with a pitch black squid ink sauce. Squid ink looks terrible - kinda reminds you of tar on a Texas roof in summer, and it tastes about the same. Eat a slice and look in the mirror - it turns your mouth black! Don't those shrimp look like they're still moving around?? I can't look at this any more!

Here are some common Japanese toppings....
Hungry?? Not!! That's not the HALF of it! Those are only the ones we found with pictures! Here is a semi-complete list of typical, everyday, normal pizza toppings that Japanese do not think is odd in the least:

Squid
Salmon
Dried Flakes Of Fish
Green Asparagus
Broccoli
Eel (that's it! there went lunch!)
Spiced Ginger
Kimchi
Dried Fish Flakes (when heated, they wave & curl around
in the air like they're alive .. ewwwww! Gag me with a spoon!) Corn
Mayonnaise
Spaghetti
Cabbage Curry
Seaweed
Egg Yolk
Curry Powder
Entire Chicken Breast
Cod Roe
Raisins Tater Tots
Boiled Welsh Onions
Jalapeno Peppers
Tuna
Shrimp
Parsley
Scallops
Spinach
Eggplant
Teriyaki Chicken

Eating squid ink is actually Italian (and Mediterranean)!
ClaireSquid-1.jpg

Venice

I think that the Japanese think pizza is basically bread. Anything that goes with bread goes with pizza.

The other day, I saw on TV pizza with "nozawa-na" pickles and sesame "tofu" on it. It looked delicious!

Mmm...I love pizza and most of those toppings are pretty much agreeable to me - even the mayo! :D But with a lot of those flavour combos (i.e. the one that Epigene posted up with the korean beef) seems like a one way street to heartburnville. :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom