What's new

What's typically eaten for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

Breakfast:
01-5.jpg

Rice
Chive miso soup, egg-drop
Hijiki seaweed and carrot stirfried with abura-age, simmered in umeboshi plum sauce
Natto with daikon radish and cucumber wilted with salt, and soy sesame and green onion
Kiwi fruit

Lunch:
02-5.jpg

Rice
Simmered taro, konnyaku and fried burdock&carrot, with snow pea
Grilled chicken breast, green onion and sweet pepper, yakitori-flavor
Boiled quail egg with salt-wilted cucumber
Boiled wild mustard dressed with soy&broth, rolled in nori

Dinner:
03-5.jpg

Rice cooked in broth with burdock&carrot, abura-age, konnyaku and dried shiitake, mitsuba garnish
Wakame and scallion clear soup
Okra and daikon radish dressed with vinegar&soy broth and sugar
Lean pork marinated in soy&mirin, panfried then simmered with orange juice, boiled cabbage side
Cubed winter melon simmered in broth&sake with crab meat, kudzu starch for thickening, grated ginger garnish

Heres my view:
As a Canadian I was brought up on the $3,99 "Hungry mans breakfast" which includes 2 eggs hash browns side of bacon and sausage toast and coffe or juice.

Hang on I'm drooling!

Ok now I live in Japan. My wife and I tend to eat a varity of ethnic foods now . So some days it fish, miso soup, and rice, with a side of whatever we ate for dinner the night before. and sometimes somthing exotic which we get from some recipie book.

But when I really start to crave my home foods. I whip up pan cakes with the maple syrup my sister mails me every christmas!

The eggs, bread, milk, bacon and everything in Japan has a small taste difference the our North american counter parts so in the begining I steered away from eating bacon and eggs for breakfast.

After 6 yerars now. I have forgoten what Canadian bacon and such tastes like and am proud to be back on the "Not so hungry mans breakfast" Which includes 2 eggs, home cooked hash browns, toast, Bacon which I salt and cure in maple syrup the night before, and juice. (after living in Japan for so long the protions have become significantly smaller hens the "Not so Hungry mans" title.

I wanted to add one more point My Japanese realitives live in a smaller city with my wifes grandmother, mother & father, and her brothers family with 2 kids. A total of 7 people. They eat in a traditional way where the mother does all the cooking and its like a never ending buffet. Every day she cooks a couple things which gets put on the table for all meals. It will stay on the table until it all has been eaten. Which scares me a little when I visit I sometimes see the same pork chop still on the table after 4 days but alas at some point it dissapears. Its actualy a good sytem there is almost zero waste of food and always a huge variety. Between meals everythign just gets pakaged up and put in the fridge until the next meal. Only problem is I get sick of the same things EVERYDAY.

Breakfast:
01-4.jpg

Rice
Daikon, carrot, konnyaku and scallion miso soup
Lightly-salted cucumber and ginger
Ham, onion, green pepper and cabbage stirfried with just salt and pepper
Tamago-yaki omelette (no sugar) with grated daikon
Plain yogurt

Lunch:
02-4.jpg

Shimeji mushroom rice ball wrapped in leaf lettuce
Steamed chicken breast, tomato, cucumber and wood ear with soy/ginger/scallion dressing
Simple pan-fried eggplant slices, with grated daikon and ginger relish
Melon

Dinner:
03-4.jpg

Rice
Shrimp and shimeji mushroom chawammushi (egg custard)
Tuna and squid sashimi
Carrot and dried shiitake mushroom rolled in abura-age then rolled in Chinese cabbage, tied with dried gourd strip and simmered with snow pea
Spinach dressed with soy-flavored peanut butter sauce

Breakfast/dinner can differ greatly, I believe, from household to household. My grandmother normally has good ol' miso soup, but that's probably because she's old and used to have miso soup for breakfast everyday when she was younger. And for dinner she typically has steamed fish, more miso soup and rice... with PLENTY of chikuwa. She doesn't bother making anything elaborate because "she's too old for it" (she says).

But when I was an exchange student in Nagoya we had bread + jam, yoghurt, salad, coffee and a banana for breakfast everyday. It was insane. Back home I'm used to just a cup of milk or no breakfast at all, but to have SO many things piled up in front of me so early in the morning... man. The first few days I kept getting sick >__>

Breakfast:
01-3.jpg

Rice
Turnip and abura-age miso soup
Bell pepper, ginger and red pepper fried/simmered with broth
Fried egg with stringbean&corn
Kiwi fruit

Lunch:
02-3.jpg

Beef bowl with egg, scallion and shimeji mushroom
Cabbage, turnip and carrot slaw with sweet vinegar, red pepper
Orange and cottage cheese

Dinner:
03-3.jpg

Rice
Tofu, boiled bamboo shoot, dried shiitake mushroom, carrot and snow pea simmered and starch-thickened
Flounder marinated in soy&mustard, dredged in starch then deep-fried with sweet pepper
Spinach and nori seaweed dressed in soy broth

That's true, most Japanese do have fairly healthy diets, which contributes to their long lives. Research has proven that. :)

Breakfast:
01-2.jpg

Rice
Onion and wakame seaweed miso soup
Deep-fried tofu and grated daikon radish in broth with grated ginger garnish
Mustard spinach dressed in sesame dressing
Yogurt

Lunch:
02-2.jpg

Rice balls wrapped in nori (grilled cod roe or bonito/soy)
Pan-fried flounder fillet with lemon juice, mirin and soy, on leaf lettuce with petit tomato
Simmered potato, miso/sugar/sake/broth sauce
Strained strawberry, plain yogurt topping [dessert]
Stir-fried sprouts (soybean and daikon,) a little red pepper and soy flavor

Dinner:
03-2.jpg

Rice
Simmered cauliflower, carrot, shiitake mushroom, daikon sprout and dried scallop in broth, with slight kudzu starch thickening
Grilled saury pieces, with green (pepper leaf, vinegar and broth) dip
Spinach dressed in mustard/broth

Breakfast:
01-1.jpg

Rice
Potato and wakame miso soup
Frozen (spongy) tofu, carrot, green onion and daikon sprout scrambled with dashi-flavored egg
Daikon root&leaf wilted with salt
Mikan mandarin

Lunch:
02-1.jpg

Rice mixed with perilla leaf and roasted white sesame
Cucumber, radish, daikon sprout and roasted sakura-ebi with oil&vinegar&dashi dressing
Simmered squid, daikon, carrot, taro and snow pea in ginger-flvored broth

Dinner:
03-1.jpg

Rice
Chinese cabbage, carrot, chive and wood ear dressed with vinegar, dashi and sugar
Sake-marinated chicken breast and perilla leaf tempura, and deep-fried pumpkin slices (without batter)
Simmered soybean, kombu and green onion

Breakfast:
01-1.jpg

Rice
Snow pea and gluten ring miso soup
Natto with raw egg, scallion
Shredded carrot and celery stir-fried then simmered in broth

Lunch:
02-2.jpg

Canned salmon and egg bowl
Cabbage and Manila littleneck soup with carrot
Vinegared harusame starch noodle and cucumber, carrot

Dinner:
03-1.jpg

Rice
Grilled mackerel fillet (curry flavor) with potato and spinach
Chicken breast, boiled cabbage, celery dressed with mayonnaise
Grated daikon radish, scallion and bonito shaving garnish

Bezz 🙂 I just had lunch, but your posts made me hungry again! :)
Being italian, and having no time for a serious breakfast in the morning, I have to stick to the tipical croissant and cappuccino. Apparently, bread with marmelade would be healthier, but I find croissants tastier...

I'd love to have miso soup, for breakfast, thoug (and I actually did when I was in Japan).

Just try to add 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese in miso soup just before you eat it.
Miso and cheese really go well.

Just try to add 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese in miso soup just before you eat it.
Miso and cheese really go well.
I'm amazed! I wouldn't have thought putting together two elements so far away from each other, at least in my own personal feeling.
I'll surely try it out :)

Heres my view:
Only problem is I get sick of the same things EVERYDAY.

I take it you don't have a Denny's Restaurant in your neck of the woods? There's several in Tokyo. You can get your bacon or sausage and eggs there.

Back
Top Bottom